Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 19,297 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband may be getting a job soon in Austin, and we are very quickly trying to figure out the area. We plan to rent at first, but can anyone tell me how bad the commute really is from Round Rock to Austin? Google maps is showing like a 13 mile drive. His work location looks to be right off of 183 and is between 1 and I35. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the city yet, but on the map I would say his office is N Austin west of I35. In Maryland, where we live now, 13 miles could take 20-45 min.

Also, are there any alternate routes out of the city when traffic is backed up, or are you stuck on a highway?

We have heard good things about Round Rock in terms of raising a family, we have a 9 month old, so school choice is a huge deciding factor. Are the schools in Round Rock good? Are they safe? We like suburban living. Are there any other good suburban areas with less commute times? By good, I mean low crime and good schools, decent housing prices (250-350k), and the area isn't declining because of urban sprawl. Is section 8 housing a big thing in the area? We have watched our neighborhoods deteriorate in Maryland because of section 8, crime increases, schools tank, and businesses shut down.

I've read that it is hard to find a job around Austin. My husband would have a job before we left, but I would need to look. I'm an accountant with about 10 years of experience and have my CPA and an MBA, is there hope to find something? I keep reading that all the jobs are going to recent grads. I'm worried about being unemployed. I know I need to see what happens, but I just want to know in general, is it possible to find an accounting job in the area? Industry accounting, not public.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by BaxterBrown; 08-22-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
You won't have a problem finding a nice 3/2 house in the upper end of your price range, that tracks to great schools. One place to look would be in Avery Ranch. Will leave it to the experts here in the RR area to narrow it down.

Drive at peak times should be around 30 minutes, max, from Avery Ranch, for example.

With you quals, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job, especially if you can be patient. I know this seems like a big step, but you are in better shape than most that come here. Have faith!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 PM

Thank you very much for the reply scm! We will check out Avery Ranch. 30 minute commute is fine, really up to an hour is doable. We are used to it. The move is exciting, but it is scary leaving a job without one, even if my husband is working. I feel safer with both of us working. Thanks for the support!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:41 AM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
I 2nd the Avery Ranch recommendation. We live there and really like it so far. Both hubby and I commute to locations near your husband and totally doable in 30 minutes or less during peak times. We do it every day separately

Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM

389 posts, read 422,032 times
We just moved here from Ca. I will be working off of 183, and we have moved to Cedar Park closer to 1431 and Ronald Regan/Parmer. It will take me about 20 minutes to get to work from where we are living.

So far we're very happy with where we have chosen to live, after extensively searching all over the North part of Austin and it's suburbs. We don't start school til Monday, and I will have an elementary kiddo and a middle schooler. We have been really impressed with our school interactions so far, and everyone we talk to has good things to say about the schools here. Cedar Park is part of Leander ISD. Cedar Park is also just north of Avery Ranch. So close that I still haven't quite figured out where one ends and the other begins. :-)

Can't help you on the CPA job info, but I will tell you that my husband has found a lot of networking groups in his area of work. (Project Manager/Business Analyst) It seems like a very common thing here, and he's also been to several more "general" networking events, and gotten some good leads through those. Feel free to message me if you want.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Cedar Park is part of Leander ISD. Cedar Park is also just north of Avery Ranch. So close that I still haven't quite figured out where one ends and the other begins. :-)
Pretty much the dividing line between Austin and Cedar Park in the Avery Ranch (a neighborhood) area is Brushy Creek(the actual creek). When you cross the bridge on Parmer with Brushy Creek Lake(the lake) to the east, that is the border(going from 65mph in Cedar Park to a hands-free 60mph in Austin). I do find it odd that we have no "Welcome to Austin---Population changing daily" signs along Parmer or 183, two of the main points of entry to the city up here in the northlands.

There is probably some point near 1431 and Ronald Reagan/Parmer(officially 734) where a tall ladder would allow you to see Leander, Georgetown, Austin, Cedar Park and Round Rock...all within spittin' distance.

Welcome!

By the bye, Avery Ranch is divided between LeanderISD and Round RockISD, even though no part of Avery Ranch falls into either of those cities...Avery Ranch is totally within the city limits of Austin. Just a little somethin' to keep folks on their toes!

Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Pretty much the dividing line between Austin and Cedar Park in the Avery Ranch (a neighborhood) area is Brushy Creek(the actual creek). When you cross the bridge on Parmer with Brushy Creek Lake(the lake) to the east, that is the border(going from 65mph in Cedar Park to a hands-free 60mph in Austin). I do find it odd that we have no "Welcome to Austin---Population changing daily" signs along Parmer or 183, two of the main points of entry to the city up here in the northlands.

There is probably some point near 1431 and Ronald Reagan/Parmer(officially 734) where a tall ladder would allow you to see Leander, Georgetown, Austin, Cedar Park and Round Rock...all within spittin' distance.

Welcome!

By the bye, Avery Ranch is divided between LeanderISD and Round RockISD, even though no part of Avery Ranch falls into either of those cities...Avery Ranch is totally within the city limits of Austin. Just a little somethin' to keep folks on their toes!
Thank you! I love this site for the many things I learn.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it. spchtx - hope back to school went well for your kids!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxterBrown View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it. spchtx - hope back to school went well for your kids!
Thanks! It went very well. My youngest has had issues with school, and she has had the "I hate school" attitude, since first grade. For the first time, she is actually enjoying going to school. (Well at least for 2 days now.)

Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
We just moved here from Ca. I will be working off of 183, and we have moved to Cedar Park closer to 1431 and Ronald Regan/Parmer. It will take me about 20 minutes to get to work from where we are living.
From 1431 & Parmer it will take 20 min. just to get to Lakeline Mall (during rush hour, during the school year). The OP has a job on 183 (between mopac and I 35). For the OP, the commute would be an hour from 1431/Parmer & 45 - 50 min. from Avery.

Avery and the area mentioned above are good areas. But there are also good areas with a shorter commute for the OP (& some with better school tracks).

I'd be looking at neighborhoods in Pville, neighborhoods south of 620 that funnel to McNeil HS, possibly even central & eastern RR that funnel to Cedar Ridge HS....and of course neighborhoods that feed into WWood HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin