Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,162,860 times

Advertisements

As we continue our never-ending search to uncover every possibly nook and cranny, I came across both Falconhead and Spanish Oaks today. While Spanish Oaks seems to be a very nice community, it may be both a little too uppity as well as a little too expensive for us (I'm not sure we can get 4k sq ft for under $1m there). Right across the street practically is Falconhead. Looks nice too, and a lot more affordable. Also LTISD schools. Are there negatives (or positives) that folks can share with us about these two (probably more Falconhead, as I don't think we want to spend $1m in Austin)? How does Falconhead compare to say Steiner Ranch, River Place, and/or Flintrock Falls (the 3 other communities that currently top our list)?

Not that it matters all that much, but I did notice that Falconhead seems to only have a 1.9% tax rate, considerably lower than most others in the 2.5-2.8% range. Again, this wouldn't influence our decision and I'm going to have to learn more about why it appears to be so low (what am I missing?), but if all things were otherwise equal (and of course they never are), lower taxes might be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
Do you have to commute downtown? Although Falcon Head and Spanish Oaks are close to each other the commute times can be quite different due to the bottle neck at 71 and 620. This also holds true for Steiner and any of the other areas along 620. I have one client that loves his home on an acre in Steiner but is moving because of the commute. IF your commute is not as much of a concern then I would suggest go with the community you feel suits you the best. IF your commute time is an issue then River Place and Spanish Oaks will be easier. Have you also looked around Circle C?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM

I'm not worried about rush hour commutes right now, although they could always become an issue at some point in the future. While on this topic, does Austin have a part of town where the major tech/IT firms are located (similar to Silicon Valley in the Bay Area, the Dulles corridor here in DC, etc), or are they all pretty much dispersed throughout the metro?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
I'm not worried about rush hour commutes right now, although they could always become an issue at some point in the future. While on this topic, does Austin have a part of town where the major tech/IT firms are located (similar to Silicon Valley in the Bay Area, the Dulles corridor here in DC, etc), or are they all pretty much dispersed throughout the metro?
Of course Dell is up north in RR but most of the other large companies are down south

Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
Falconhead is a nice community - I think it is mostly production builders. I have a friend that lives in Falconhead and really loves it. I am not sure how active their social community is compared to a Steiner or RP, though, or if it's primarily centered around golf. Maybe someone else on here would know. It's a newer community than Steiner and RP and so it's not as well established but certainly it is a nice place.

Spanish Oaks has great golf! I think it definitely has the cachet of being more exclusive than the other communities you mention.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 51,472 times
Spanish Oaks is going to beautiful but has a long way to go until it is built out. I couldn't live there because of Highway 71. It is quite difficult to get in and out of the neighborhood and with a teenage driver in the family, I'd be a nervous wreck. Falconhead has a wide range of houses. While there are some beautiful homes in there, there are also lower-end homes.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek ATX View Post
Of course Dell is up north in RR but most of the other large companies are down south
What companies are located in the South besides AMD?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,097 times
They are dispersed into smaller clusters. There is a NW cluster in the 183/Braker area, a cluster on on 360/Mopac in the Westlake area, and a cluster downtown.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 AM

Thanks. I figured as much, but thought I'd ask just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austifornian View Post
They are dispersed into smaller clusters. There is a NW cluster in the 183/Braker area, a cluster on on 360/Mopac in the Westlake area, and a cluster downtown.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,637 times
isn't cisco right there on 183 at reata trace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin