Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times

Advertisements

Recently there was a KVUE story on the amount of litter in the park - Kids to community: Clean up your trash

I took some out of towners there as it is a place I like to show as representative of Austin's natural beauty and it was disgusting, baby diapers, condoms, beer bottles, charcoal ashes and what smelled like human urine. I saw this article that suggested that APD was doing zero tolerance in the greenbelts but it doesn't seem to have been effective as a long term deterrent. Doing some searching I see news articles at several year intervals about the issue. Question for those who have been here for many years, is this an issue that comes and goes based on enforcement or other responses or are things actually worse now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:52 PM

27 posts, read 25,478 times
This is an example of diversity failing. In Mexico people leave their trash were they unpack. This is the result of being tolerant and accepting. Even if you wrote tickets, who would actually pay?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Recently there was a KVUE story on the amount of litter in the park - Kids to community: Clean up your trash

I took some out of towners there as it is a place I like to show as representative of Austin's natural beauty and it was disgusting, baby diapers, condoms, beer bottles, charcoal ashes and what smelled like human urine. I saw this article that suggested that APD was doing zero tolerance in the greenbelts but it doesn't seem to have been effective as a long term deterrent. Doing some searching I see news articles at several year intervals about the issue. Question for those who have been here for many years, is this an issue that comes and goes based on enforcement or other responses or are things actually worse now?
I lived in NW Hills for 10 years, and at the time I'd say the problem was definitely intermittent. The parks there are open to anyone, and people do come in from all over town. When the parks are heavily used, particularly the ones with swimming holes/creeks when the water is high (like this year - Barton Creek is the same way), the litter goes WAY up. The parks department doesn't seem to have any procedure to address these "surges" and up the trash collection. Trash bins overflow, and there are always those inconsiderate users who will just throw litter wherever. This year may have been particularly bad with all the spring rains, after years of drought and dry creeks.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwhit View Post
This is an example of diversity failing. In Mexico people leave their trash were they unpack. This is the result of being tolerant and accepting. Even if you wrote tickets, who would actually pay?
Agreed.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
I agree on the group that is the biggest contributor to the problem, however they're not the only contributor, and I'm not sure they are Mexican I tend to think Central American. Does anyone else have an opinion on whether the problem is the same / better / worse?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Well, when I first started going to the Bull Creek area in 1959 it was privately owned. To gain access to the swimming hole area we had to pay 25 cents to the old crusty mom/grandma parked nearby in her 1940s era pickup truck with a shotgun.

On weekends there would be scores of young people out there.... and NO litter. After 1966 I graduated college & moved to Giddings for a couple of years. Moved back to Austin , then when our kids were old enough in the mid-late '70s, we took them to the old swimming holes, but they were public property by that time. Litter was not a problem. Haven't been there since the early '80s.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
The creeks are flowing but it's been real dry the past couple of months. If there's another rain, it usually washes the trash down the creek and clears things up. Sad but true fact.

I guess most of that trash ends up at the bottom of Lake Austin eventually, and either decays if it's biodegradable or doesn't.

When there's an extended drought, nobody goes to Bull Creek and it's clean then.

It's gotten worse in the last few years with the population explosion. Too many people moving here for economic reasons instead of moving here because it's Austin.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Too many people moving here for economic reasons instead of moving here because it's Austin.
an Overwhelming majority of people always move because economics.

soon enough Austin will be too expensive. our infrastructure will prove to be way too stuck in the past.
and then people will think about the hot whether and will pass up on Austin.

at this point Austin is definitely the most hyped large city in America.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post

soon enough Austin will be too expensive. our infrastructure will prove to be way too stuck in the past.

What we need is a real hot fall to scare away people. I remember that fall when it was 95 degrees in mid October.

Some yankees were abandoning ship just for that, reminiscing about the crisp fall weather and leaves in the Northeast.

Hot falls won't deter Californians though because fall is when the Santa Anna winds blow and is the hottest time of the year in CA.

But it's an El Nino year, so looking mid to late September the weather will probably break and the rains will return.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post

Pretty much true. Just goes to show us not all is well in many other parts of the country.... and it's not going to get any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin