Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM

615 posts, read 780,661 times

Advertisements

The only way Central Austin housing values will rapidly decline is if we were to suddenly make a drastic increase in the amount of houses in the Central Austin area. Since that's not going to happen any time soon, if ever, the high cost of Central Austin housing is here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM

44 posts, read 39,074 times
I have done a lot of the math in my head to date so I was going to just get it "on paper", so attempting to discredit me based on wishful thinking is interesting. In that case, it is wishful thinking to expect prices to rise or decline as the future is uncertain and that is the only truth. Please take a look at the headlines leading up to the housing crisis - almost no one saw it coming. This is no housing crisis, but there is significant exuberance amongst sellers who think a 30-40% appreciation in 2 years is going to stick. You are already starting to see prices decline and remaining longer on the market in central amongst active listings. Fact is, Austin is not San Francisco where the prices and quick appreciation is justified by the sheer beauty, higher incomes, and limited land in the area. Austin can build for a long, long time without having any issues. Austin also doesn't even come close to the appeal of SF.

There is one fact though:
When interest rates rise, prices drop – and when interest rates drop, prices rise.

I, for one, am interested to see how home prices react once we normalize interest rates in the future. I am a cash buyer so it won't affect me regardless.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapaustinite View Post
Fact is, Austin is not San Francisco where the prices and quick appreciation is justified by the sheer beauty, higher incomes, and limited land in the area. Austin can build for a long, long time without having any issues. Austin also doesn't even come close to the appeal of SF.
And Austin prices don't even come close to SF.

But you're wrong, Austin is extremely limited in land in the central city. It's all used up, and there's minimal opportunities for infill.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:56 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapaustinite View Post
I have done a lot of the math in my head to date so I was going to just get it "on paper", so attempting to discredit me based on wishful thinking is interesting. In that case, it is wishful thinking to expect prices to rise or decline as the future is uncertain and that is the only truth. Please take a look at the headlines leading up to the housing crisis - almost no one saw it coming. This is no housing crisis, but there is significant exuberance amongst sellers who think a 30-40% appreciation in 2 years is going to stick. You are already starting to see prices decline and remaining longer on the market in central amongst active listings. Fact is, Austin is not San Francisco where the prices and quick appreciation is justified by the sheer beauty, higher incomes, and limited land in the area. Austin can build for a long, long time without having any issues. Austin also doesn't even come close to the appeal of SF.

There is one fact though:
When interest rates rise, prices drop – and when interest rates drop, prices rise.

I, for one, am interested to see how home prices react once we normalize interest rates in the future. I am a cash buyer so it won't affect me regardless.
You said a lot of fluff here yet still forgot to give us the indicators/numbers you'd seen. "There is one fact though:
When interest rates rise, prices drop – and when interest rates drop, prices rise. " Your theory that interest rates might rise later has nothing to do with indicators you've already seen "over the last few months". It's clear you're not going to post any, because you have none, so I'll leave it alone. No point in beating a dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: