Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:45 AM

30 posts, read 41,139 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a single, 32 year old blue collar worker from the Greater Boston area. I have been displeased with the New England weather, the people, cost of living, etc. for quite some time and I am finally pulling up stakes and starting a new life elsewhere.

I chose Austin for many reasons, some personal but mostly because I love experiencing new things, music, food, people, no snow, and after living in my hometown for so long, I need to spread my wings! I have no strings attached to Massachusetts, no family nor pets, and I hardly have any possessions. So I am making the big move around November 1.

I should state that I am already set up with a job. I work in a regional warehouse for a national company and not only are they setting me up with a full time job, I am also getting a small pay increase. I make decent money if I get ample overtime, and I plan on getting my own place for awhile, no roommates for once!

So, MY CONCERNS:

1. NO VEHICLE I keep hearing about how you need a car in Austin.
Unfortunately, in Massachusetts, I had a streak of violations over the last two years that decimated my wallet and my driving record. Fortunately, I totaled my car one day! It the best thing that ever happened to me, because A) I finally got rid of my wretched cursed Corolla, and B) I was fully covered for it, and the blue book value was enough money to move where ever I please. Austin is my choice.

2. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION I have read such bad things about the Austin transit, but I have also read that they have been improving and expanding it over recent years. I plan on mostly living off of one or two lines anyways, which brings me to #3...

3. THE RIGHT APARTMENT First, I am having a hard time with location. I have been studying Austin neighborhood data maps like my life depends on it (because it could!). I want to live about a half hour bus ride from my job near Tech Ridge, which would put me about 1.5 hours from downtown, which is okay because I don't need to go there every day. However, every neighborhood between Downtown Austin and Tech Ridge is either Super Ultra Rich or ghetto barrios.
The apartments LOOK nice, and not just because the advertise pictures of their best show rooms from 10 years ago. They all seem nice because on the East Coast, you have to BEG for a tiny closet in a 200 year old house.
SO, is life going to be miserable if I spend under $900/mo and end up in a complex where things break, leak, smell, etc? AND FOR CHRISTS SAKE DO THE CHEAPER APARTMENTS HAVE BIG NASTY BUGS???

Naturally, I have other concerns, but I've said enough. One last note, I plan on using only $7,000 for everything from the plane ticket to furniture.

PLEASE, AUSTINITES, I'M INVADING SOON, HELP ME BECAUSE I'D HELP YOU HERE ! ! !
(You wouldn't want to come here anyways, natch)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:36 AM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
You need a car in every Texas city, theres no way around it. I guess you could make it work without one but do you ever plan to visit other cities, go to the other side of town, be out when the buses close? Just spend $2,000 on an older Honda and give it a full tune up

Old 08-28-2015, 07:05 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
there are no ghetto barrios in austin. I lived near rundberg/metric, probably one of the worst areas in austin ( prostitution/drugs) and it was actually quite nice. The apartment was big, cheap and I never felt in danger.

The plus side of a strong economy is that most everyone is working.

I know nothing about the bus routes, but if you lived near walnut creek park, that area is pretty nice although very residential. You could ride a bike to work from walnut creek and you can actually ride your bike downtown from there completely on low traffic local roads.

I doubt a taxi from there would cost much either. We also have cars 2 go which you would only pay for the time you are driving the car.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 AM

I didnt see the ghetto barrios part. Why would you say something like that op?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
You need a car in every Texas city, theres no way around it. I guess you could make it work without one but do you ever plan to visit other cities, go to the other side of town, be out when the buses close? Just spend $2,000 on an older Honda and give it a full tune up
Untrue. My brother has live for decades in Austin w/o a car. He has used the bus almost exclusively, although at various times in his past he has been allowed occasional use of a company vehicle and for a while rode with a co-worker.

Btw, there are a lot of bugs in Texas. Doesn't mean your apartment will be infested, but the fact that you bolded it made me think you should be aware of their prevalence.

As an aside, the last time my brother did have a car was 20-25 years ago when he lived off of north Lamar and Rundberg. Came out of his apartment one day and his car had been stripped in place - wheels, mirrors, radio, and various other components. Hasn't bothered to get a new one since .

Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
So with no car, you should try to live walking/bicycling distance to work. There are apartments right there around Tech Ridge that look acceptable just on the East side of I35 not far from HEB. Just doing a quick search, it looks like there are some 1br/1ba places under $900. Especially since you mentioned working overtime, you need to live close enough to bike or walk as the public transportation schedule probably won't meet your needs in that area. Plus, people that live very close to work generally have an easier time getting rides to and from work from co-workers when needed.

In regards to bugs, you will encounter them whether you live in a $900 apartment or a $2500 apartment.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM

149 posts, read 149,403 times
I'm moving from Boston too, can't wait to get the heck out of here, for most of the reasons you cited.

But let me tell you straight up:

You do not want to move to Austin and not have a car. No no no no no. Don't do it.

Your quality of life would be SO POOR. Austin is not set up like Boston - it's very spread out, and there's barely any public transit. Your life is going to be restricted to a tiny triangle between your apartment, your work, and whatever other limited places the bus might go, during the hours that it actually runs. You would be so miserable.

I think having grown up in Boston, you can't picture the reality of life in a city not set up for public transit. You just like the idea of moving, and going to a warm sunny climate, and think you'll just make it work when you get there. Austin is simply not a city you want to live in without a vehicle, especially if you work outside the city.

If you are unable to have a car, and you really really want to move, you need to restrict your choices to places that are pedestrian friendly - Portland, Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, DC, NYC. LA at least has a good bus system.

I urge you to rethink this decision.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Untrue. My brother has live for decades in Austin w/o a car. He has used the bus almost exclusively, although at various times in his past he has been allowed occasional use of a company vehicle and for a while rode with a co-worker..
I didnt say it wasnt possible. I said it will suck and get old fast. Anyone with some sense would agree.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:38 AM

149 posts, read 149,403 times
Quote:
I didnt say it wasnt possible. I said it will suck and get old fast. Anyone with some sense would agree.
I agree 100%.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
dont do it.. get a car.. plus in the summer, you will suffer... chicago has a nice public transit system if you want to walk to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin