Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemanu View Post
Although I did just realize that in my original post the last thing I said was "Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated." - So maybe by saying "Any", some of you were taking me quite literally... And if that's the case, please ignore my post above.
The title of your thread is "about ready to give up on Austin" and you got some replies, like mine, that said maybe it would be best to try elsewhere that have opportunities more in line with your skills. I don't know why you took that as an insult.

Moving is not the same as quitting. I tend to follow maslow's heirarchy of needs - Take care of food and shelter first, then worry about the bigger picture fulfillment stuff later. But if you're willing to drastically switch paths to live here, then do so. You could always try for a state job as well - it takes months to get one, so you can sub in the meantime and work on your business. State jobs are typically lower hours so working on your own business should still be feasible. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Some of the problems I am reading on this forum are the same as the problems I am reading on the LA forum: traffic, overcrowding, influx of people inflating prices, lower wages due to high supply of willing employees and high costs. The only difference is that there is still a low unemployment rate and considerable job growth.

But Austin is not LA. LA has tons more to afford someone. Austin is growing small city that was once a college town.

The hype needs to die down to taper the influx and lower prices. It's desirability is a bit exaggerated.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:12 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
News Releases: Formosa Petrochemical Corp. Announces Feasibility Study For $9.4 Billion Complex In Louisiana | Louisiana Economic Development

Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 42,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
The title of your thread is "about ready to give up on Austin" and you got some replies, like mine, that said maybe it would be best to try elsewhere that have opportunities more in line with your skills. I don't know why you took that as an insult.

Moving is not the same as quitting. I tend to follow maslow's heirarchy of needs - Take care of food and shelter first, then worry about the bigger picture fulfillment stuff later. But if you're willing to drastically switch paths to live here, then do so. You could always try for a state job as well - it takes months to get one, so you can sub in the meantime and work on your business. State jobs are typically lower hours so working on your own business should still be feasible. Good luck.
Actually mesmer, I didn't take any of it as an insult, and in fact your earlier input was one that I found helpful (sorry for not acknowledging that earlier), because it did address my question quite well. As I said, I apologize if I came across as rude... This is a very difficult time for my wife and I right now, and I'm just trying to focus on the main issues.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:32 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
dbsteele, your question was “Why the hesitancy to just get up and move?” So just a quick scan of what I’ve stated already should have yielded the following:

1) I moved here a little over 3 years ago to re-establish my business in Austin, and help provide jobs for people in Austin.
2) Because I've never thought of myself as a quitter.
3) I can see why companies are moving here… they can get really good talent for a lot less money… that’s why I would have a hard time leaving here… I will need some IT & EE talent for my business once I get it going again.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a little rude, I don't mean to be at all... It's just that I sometimes get really tired of forum threads where people start getting off track from what the OP is asking, especially when the OP is asking a question to address a real concern they have, and then people start jumping in and talk about things that in no way address what the OP was asking. I didn't start this post to ask for psychoanalysis, patent advice, solutions to the traffic in Austin area, or to find how long this area is going to continue to explode in population... yet that's where so much of it went. I think sometimes people hang out in forums with the purpose of trying to show just how smart they are, rather than really trying to be helpful. Again, sorry if I'm coming across as being rude.
Hey.... your thread said "ready to give up on Austin" implies you are ready to move, doesn't it? So lets not overanalyze too much on who is switching the topic. Clearly you AREN'T ready to give up on Austin.

Moving isn't quitting. There are a lot of cities with good EE talent. I'd get stable and then worry about all the other stuff.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,721 times
Quote:
Actually mesmer, I didn't take any of it as an insult, and in fact your earlier input was one that I found helpful (sorry for not acknowledging that earlier), because it did address my question quite well. As I said, I apologize if I came across as rude... This is a very difficult time for my wife and I right now, and I'm just trying to focus on the main issues.
I misunderstood what upset you. Sorry about that. People do tend to wander mentally a bit on the internet.

One thing you haven't mentioned is what your wife is doing in all of this? Is she also looking for work? Does she already work?

Here's a list of biotech companies in texas: List of biotech, pharma & medical device companies in Texas
Here's a job that just posted in the Dallas area: Engineer - Degreed IV - Irving, TX 75038

My understanding is that Dallas and Houston have always had more biomed. Dallas also has a lot of telecom and aviation. Check the biggies like GE and Siemens too.

Austin is very deep in jobs for certain industries/careers and much more shallow for other kinds (like ME). This study shows that Austin actually hires quicker than most places: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...it-faster.html

Call centers tend to hire quickly, as much as I hate to say it. Another way to bring in weird spurts of cash is doing extras work, but I don't think there's anything big filming in town right now. And if you've got a decent car, there's always Uber/Lyft.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 PM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Some of the problems I am reading on this forum are the same as the problems I am reading on the LA forum: traffic, overcrowding, influx of people inflating prices, lower wages due to high supply of willing employees and high costs. The only difference is that there is still a low unemployment rate and considerable job growth.

But Austin is not LA. LA has tons more to afford someone. Austin is growing small city that was once a college town.

The hype needs to die down to taper the influx and lower prices. It's desirability is a bit exaggerated.
I'm still trying to figure out after 20 years what is so enticing about Austin It was pretty cool in the 90's but the ship has long sailed. IMO Houston crushes it in pretty much every category except maybe outdoor activities but we all know Houston wont ever get the same media love.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out after 20 years what is so enticing about Austin It was pretty cool in the 90's but the ship has long sailed. IMO Houston crushes it in pretty much every category except maybe outdoor activities but we all know Houston wont ever get the same media love.
Yet it remains enticing enough for you to spend much of your time on the City-Data forums posting in the Austin forum in spite of your not living here and thinking Houston is the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Coulda sworn LA meant Louisiana in the oil biz context.

But, yep...Austin is no LA(not the city, the state OR Lower Alabama)

Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 PM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Yet it remains enticing enough for you to spend much of your time on the City-Data forums posting in the Austin forum in spite of your not living here and thinking Houston is the best thing since sliced bread.
I've said numerous times that I'm in Austin for business. Matter of fact, I'll be there next week for a few weeks. Thank you for following my posts though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin