Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Lol, I don't think natives care about getting rid of anyone. It's just don't come to Texas expecting it being like a coastal city. It makes no difference where ones from.
This. Move to Texas and love it the way it is? Welcome, friend! Move to Texas and gripe about how it's not NYC or LA or Chicago and how it really should change to have "x" that you had back home instead of being one of the "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could" folks who were born Texan even if not on Texas soil, or even someone who knows they're in a different place than they came from and throws themselves into enjoying it for what it is, and then try to make it just like where you came from, not so much.

Sort of like, as I think I said earlier, the difference between people from the city who move to the country because they truly want to live in the country and listen and learn from the people that have lived there for generations how things are done and why they are done that way in that particular locale rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, versus citiots who move to the country and get all bent out of shape because county roads don't have sidewalks and people don't mow their "lawns" (pastures) to be nice and pretty and short and smooth and edged and there are animals that make noise and smell and there are FARMERS in the COUNTRY that make noise and smell and that should just be put a stop to and there needs to be a law so I'm going to try to get one passed!

Same impulse, different target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:48 PM

384 posts, read 976,965 times
Yes, but your logic isn't sound in all cases. Why are you assuming that all changes that outsiders bring to Texas are bad? For instance, our school didn't have a vegetable garden when I moved to it. One of my first thoughts when touring the campus was that I would miss the one we had in CA (where school gardens are common), and it would be great to bring one to our new school. I made it happen last year, and everyone's very pleased and excited to get outside and dig in the dirt. Why should there only be Tex-Mex (which I have grown to like). Why wouldn't people want more diversity in restaurants? Why can't people try to improve upon what's already here?
Everyone's hometown changes over time. Mine sure has! It's always a little sad to see those changes, but I'm not gnashing my teeth and putting down the outsiders that have brought those changes.
And to be fair, you're correct in your suspicion that I didn't want to move to Austin. I wanted to move to Seattle. But my husband is the "breadwinner" and you move to where you get a job offer. I had a fairly negative stereotype in my head about Texas before moving here. But it's grown on me quite a bit and I really love living in Cedar Park. It's pretty much perfect.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM

240 posts, read 270,288 times
Exactly! If somebody opens a great restaurant that reminds them of their birthplace, I'll eat there. It's a city. It's a melting pot. It will always have its local flavors, but there is nothing wrong with adding new ones. Besides, some of the local places that people rave about don't always live up to the reputation.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
janineg, school gardens are a great idea and I remember the one that my daughter's class (and every other class) saved up their school lunch remainders and such for the compost heap to feed the school garden (and chickens). Another group that has done school gardens here for a while (30 years) is Sustainable Food Center. Sunshine Community Gardens has been around since 1979 and provides seeds and plants to school gardens, so there must have been some for them to do that for. I'm glad that you started one at your school, but I'm surprised they didn't already know about something that's been going on in Austin for decades now.

As for the Mexican food, here's what you had to say in your thread called Please bring good Mexican food to Austin:

"Is anyone looking to start a business? Might I suggest opening a restaurant in Austin that serves Southern CA style Mexican food? We just moved from San Diego to Austin about a month ago, and I keep running into Californians who lament the Tex-Mex food and lack of familiar Mexican food. Everyone I ask says that there is no food like this in Austin. With so many sad Californians here, surely a place that serves good refried pinto beans and good Mexican rice would do well?"

You'd been here a month and instead of exploring and enjoying the Tex-Mex and interior Mexican food that is available here (different kinds of interior Mexican, at that), you want someone to bring "good" Mexican food to Austin. Does that sound like someone who has familiarized themselves with the new place they live, figured out what it has and doesn't have and why (which takes as lot longer than a month), and THEN suggests a different kind of food (not "good" Mexican food but "California style" Mexican food - your thread title completely gave your approach away).

FWIW, having lived in Seattle at one time, albeit briefly, I can tell you that Californians moving into Seattle and Washington State and trying to turn it into California were no more popular there than they are here, just as Texans who move to Colorado and try to turn it into Texas are unwelcome there. It's not a Texas thing. It's a "how rude to move into my house and start rearranging the furniture and taking out walls to suit your preferences without so much as a by your leave" thing.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,938,122 times
I don't think that you guys get that Texashorselady and I aren't talking about positive changes like vegetable gardens, new cafes and adding to the melting pot. I'm not a nativist. I said I wasn't against multi culturalism. I was against the aspect of "worldliness" that I'm sure anyone in here who left a hub city could agree they don't want Texas to turn into; negative rude people, high costs, high prices, taxes, taxes and more taxes, congestion, over crowding, impossible housing costs, huge disparity between rich and poor, no job growth, high unemployment, crime, corrupt politics, etc.

I'm getting the most out of the world but I'd like to someday come back to Texas and not find its turned into California because it's so "in" right now.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:46 PM

240 posts, read 270,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't think that you guys get that Texashorselady and I aren't talking about positive changes like vegetable gardens, new cafes and adding to the melting pot. I'm not a nativist. I said I wasn't against multi culturalism. I was against the aspect of "worldliness" that I'm sure anyone in here who left a hub city could agree they don't want Texas to turn into; negative rude people, high costs, high prices, taxes, taxes and more taxes, congestion, over crowding, impossible housing costs, huge disparity between rich and poor, no job growth, high unemployment, crime, corrupt politics, etc.

I'm getting the most out of the world but I'd like to someday come back to Texas and not find its turned into California because it's so "in" right now.
Hasn't some of that already happened to a certain extent? I assume those are the growing pains of any city with any residents.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
Hasn't some of that already happened to a certain extent? I assume those are the growing pains of any city with any residents.
I think it has more to do with the city having to adjust to the population explosion. It will level out.

But LA and NYC have housing shortages, it's still crowded, super expensive and they're developed to the tenth degree. I don't know how much more they can do.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:53 PM

657 posts, read 734,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
janineg, school gardens are a great idea and I remember the one that my daughter's class (and every other class) saved up their school lunch remainders and such for the compost heap to feed the school garden (and chickens). Another group that has done school gardens here for a while (30 years) is Sustainable Food Center. Sunshine Community Gardens has been around since 1979 and provides seeds and plants to school gardens, so there must have been some for them to do that for. I'm glad that you started one at your school, but I'm surprised they didn't already know about something that's been going on in Austin for decades now.

As for the Mexican food, here's what you had to say in your thread called Please bring good Mexican food to Austin:

"Is anyone looking to start a business? Might I suggest opening a restaurant in Austin that serves Southern CA style Mexican food? We just moved from San Diego to Austin about a month ago, and I keep running into Californians who lament the Tex-Mex food and lack of familiar Mexican food. Everyone I ask says that there is no food like this in Austin. With so many sad Californians here, surely a place that serves good refried pinto beans and good Mexican rice would do well?"

You'd been here a month and instead of exploring and enjoying the Tex-Mex and interior Mexican food that is available here (different kinds of interior Mexican, at that), you want someone to bring "good" Mexican food to Austin. Does that sound like someone who has familiarized themselves with the new place they live, figured out what it has and doesn't have and why (which takes as lot longer than a month), and THEN suggests a different kind of food (not "good" Mexican food but "California style" Mexican food - your thread title completely gave your approach away).

FWIW, having lived in Seattle at one time, albeit briefly, I can tell you that Californians moving into Seattle and Washington State and trying to turn it into California were no more popular there than they are here, just as Texans who move to Colorado and try to turn it into Texas are unwelcome there. It's not a Texas thing. It's a "how rude to move into my house and start rearranging the furniture and taking out walls to suit your preferences without so much as a by your leave" thing.
Ignore them, that is just how Californians are. They grow up delusional from movies and music based on the west coast and cant fathom that good and nice things exist elsewhere.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Ignore them, that is just how Californians are. They grow up delusional from movies and music based on the west coast and cant fathom that good and nice things exist elsewhere.
Yes it's very weird. Many Californians are puzzled as to why I'm not just totally awe struck by some of their amenities. The natural landscape, yes, by far the best in the country but as far as the cities, yeah they're great but it's not a shocker growing up in Houston. The native Californians aren't as bad as the transplants from the east coast and rust belt towns that skipper the heartland and moved to LA and think that anything in between LA and NYC is Podunk.

Many can't fathom that a lot of the country is developing fast. I'm not gonna say Texas is nicer and better than California but as far as how its developed I'd say the gap has surely shrunken a lot. Texas is Spanish leather to California's Italian leather.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 PM

657 posts, read 734,635 times
Yeah California is basically a millionaire's playground at this point. It's not very cool to me to be a 40 something year old and forced to either have apartment roommates or live in a ghetto because you dont make six figures. Good luck ever owning your own property. Yeah, most havent left the state besides trips to Las Vegas but still have it drilled into their heads that its Heaven On Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin