Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM

17 posts, read 14,581 times

Advertisements

We have been renting in Cedar Park for a couple of years now and have decided to buy a house. We chose to build but it's been a tough decision for me since my last new build experience.

We had a house built in Florida years ago and after we moved in, we were infested with wolf spiders. We were told that they came out of the wood used to build the house. For the first couple of months, every night they would be all over inside the house. You can't just squish them either. Well, I don't even want to get that close to do that. (haha) We also would see them during the day clinging on the outside of the houses, too.

So, now we are building again. Is this something I should expect again? I know places are different but I just want to be prepared. We have three kids now, too, and I can only imagine their reactions if they came across one.

I would love to hear from anyone who moved into a newly built house and what experiences you've had.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I have never heard of that before. Dimensional lumber is normally kiln dried and that would kill any eggs or larvae in the wood. In San Antonio, new construction was often swarmed with "Daddy Longleg" spiders, but they were attracted from the wild by the drywall for some reason.

I did not encounter any type of insect infestation when I built near Webberville.

I dont know what the Georgetown local pest might be, if any.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
It depends on where exactly that you're building. I think the issue around here is more about the creatures that you stir up from the ground where you're building and the surrounding areas. In new build areas up in Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, etc. that are West of I35, you're more likely to see some scorpions get in your house especially if they're still building homes around you. I've seen them in homes in both Georgetown and some others in Cedar Park where there are new builds nearby.

But, the scorpion stings here are more like wasp stings and not something that you really have to worry about unless you have an allergic reaction.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:41 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I worked in a lumberyard one summer years ago, and scorpion stings were pretty common to us grunts handling the lumber.
When we built our new house in Brushy Creek 20 years ago, we only saw one scorpion inside about a year later. That was it...... and we had not sprayed for bugs at all.

I recommend buying a bottle of Cy-Kick liquid pesticide - mix some up in a gallon of water and spray the base of your foundation several times a year. We've been doing that to keep the ants out. Never have had a problem with any other insects.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 14,581 times
Well, that's semi good news. I'm happy to not hear about the wolf spiders being a problem, at least.

We are having a pest control company come out and spray inside and out before we move in and then quarterly. Hopefully, that will help.

We've only come across one scorpion so far here in Cedar Park in a well established neighborhood, too. It was caught in a cobweb by our front door inside. Eww!!! I've read horror stories about how people have had them dropping out of air vents and recessed lighting. I think that would do me in. (haha)

Thanks so much for your responses and advice.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 AM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
I've lived all over Austin (and out in rural Oak Hill and Manor too) for the past 30 years, and I currently live in Northwest Austin. We never have scorpions in our current house, but I had several when I lived in Manor near 969/973, and they were terrifyingly abundant in rural Oak Hill. We lived on the road that leads to the Austin Zoo, and we did indeed have them dropping out of our light fixtures in the bathroom, scuttling across our bed at night, etc. (The horror, the horror.) You haven't lived until you've seen an angry mama scorpion and the HORDES of live babies she's carrying on her back greet you in the bathroom at 5 AM.

(We also had one big orange kitty who found scorpions to be his mortal enemies. He was surgically precise in being able to kill them without getting stung himself. He was also the recipient of many, many cat treats when he did this.)

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjn View Post
Well, that's semi good news. I'm happy to not hear about the wolf spiders being a problem, at least.

We are having a pest control company come out and spray inside and out before we move in and then quarterly. Hopefully, that will help.
Wow! That's an overkill in my opinion. We've been in our new house for 11 years and get about one scorpion per year. We have never had a pest control company spray our house after moving in.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM

615 posts, read 780,878 times
This seems like a very odd situation to occur. Most likely, a female wolf spider got into your house at some point and they carry hundreds of babies on their back. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the house being new construction or the selection of the lumber used.

That said, we do have wolf spiders here (and tarantulas, scorpions, giant roaches, etc) but they tend to prefer to be outside, than in your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin