Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times

Advertisements

I'd be afraid to tell you this, but yes, it looks like it's on its way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 27,617 times
Thanks for all the opinions. I have to say that they are all similar to what we have been thinking anyway. It would be nice to have a job lined up already, but I think that would be very difficult without having an interview and having to compete with many americans that will have USA experience. How do you think companies in Austin will view employing a foreigner over a "local"? (Personally, I would go with the guy who has US experience.)

Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
I'd be afraid to tell you this, but yes, it looks like it's on its way.
I for one do not agree with that, and here is why:

I am a retailer of medium to higher priced goods (want not need goods) and our sales were greater in both December 07 and January 08 than the previous year.

So I say we are not in a recession! We may not have the over all growth as we did 2 years ago, but we are far from recession. I came from Michigan, I have seen recession!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:07 PM

15 posts, read 54,437 times
Gosh - we're in a recession. News to me. I must have missed the memo...or maybe there is a reason I don't read the newspapers or watch the nasty news on TV...the media has a way of sendin us all into a tizzy. Can you say "self-fulfilling prophesy"? The sky is falling...only if you believe it. I just bought two rental homes from those same folks who felt they needed to run screaming away from home ownership and had them both rented before escrow closed. There are two sides to every situation - actually there are an infinite number of options. Look for the opportunity! If the media started saying, "The economy appears to be rebounding" then I think the same lemings would breathe a sigh of relief and make it so. Come on folks we must have some control over our circumstances. Don't let the media tell you what the future holds.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:45 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Is a bullfrog waterproof?
Does a dog have fleas?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 PM

147 posts, read 695,633 times
Hey Sput and Vicki. Yall might want to get on the horn to the National Bureau of Economic Research. It is just this type of anecdotal data they need to be convinced in calling off this recession.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
Hey Sput and Vicki. Yall might want to get on the horn to the National Bureau of Economic Research. It is just this type of anecdotal data they need to be convinced in calling off this recession.
I send the the government data and taxes all the time

Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM

99 posts, read 421,745 times
Whether we are in a recession or not it's risky to relocate without a job lined up. You can start working with a recruiter and line up interviews ahead of time. Then come out for a whirlwind tour for a week or two. If you make it known that you're footing the bill for travel and relocation companies should be more receptive.
Another thought is to find a job with a large multinational with a presence in Austin. Then work on an internal transfer.

As to the recession, It's really academic. I don't think anyone questions that growth has slowed, buthas it started to contract? I was in the Tampa, FL area not long ago. The neighborhoods that I went through had 2-3 houses per street for sale, many of them empty. I'd say they were in a recession there. While the economic slow down may not have made it to Austin yet, I think it's a little too optimistic to say it won't.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Austin seems to be going strong in my opinion, but that could always change. The post 9-11 crash hit us very hard and I'm surprised at how well we've recovered. Still, I'm not going to let go of my nice government job anytime soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin