Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
Hmmm. I briefly checked out this area my first week in Austin. I drove to the main address (of Walnut Creek Park) and walked a few minutes down the trail to check it out. It seemed unpopulated (very few other folks there), and unmaintained (wild patches of plant life growing in the middle of the trail, very uneven surface, like you'd have to be a very experienced runner to use it). I ruled it out because of this. I didn't walk far - it was a very hot day, and I thought it would just continue further into the woods and away from people, which is not what I'm looking for.

So you're saying that if I had continued on the trail, it wouldn't actually have become more remote and unpopulated, but would have traveled through populated areas, not just the woods? And that it would have evened out and become safe to walk/run on?

Thank you!
I dont know if you were in the right place, but walnut creek is very heavily trafficked. It is also smooth and suitable for running. The name is walnut creek metropolitan trail. There is a pool in the parking lot area and there are always a ton of people. It is not perfectly level, it is a trail. It is a forest but always has a lot of people.

If you are looking for a completely flat crushed granite trail, then the hike and bike is about the only thing. You probably come from california or something and are used to overcrowding and feel weird when you can have peace and solitude. It might take some getting used to but peace and solitude are good things...

The brushy creek main trail is concrete but is pretty nice and goes a long way. There is also the north walnut creek trail which runs from balcones district park to walnut creek metro park. There is also the south walnut creek trail which runs from decker lake to govalle park.

There is also the shoal creek trail which runs from 45th or so down to 6th street along shoal creek.

where exactly are you starting from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
Walnut Creek is for mountain biking and trail running. It is not what you are looking for at all. I love it, but I know it very well because I used to live nearby it. You can get lost very easily. Great Hills and St Edwards Park are also fantastic but they are trails for trail running; not smooth, not groomed, and often unpopulated. (This is why I like them, personally!)

Quarry Lake trail is more like what you have in mind. It is only 3/4 of a mile long, though. Technically you must have a Pure Austin membership or live in one of the apartment complexes to use it but the gates along the back of the loop leading into the office complex (behind Roaring Fork) are never locked. I run there regularly.

Brushy Creek Trail is awesome and is exactly what you are seeking. It's pretty far North through, depending on where you are coming from, and could land you in equivalent traffic dealing with commuters.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM

149 posts, read 149,387 times
Quote:
You probably come from california or something and are used to overcrowding and feel weird when you can have peace and solitude. It might take some getting used to but peace and solitude are good things...
No, as in my original post I said I moved here from Boston.

I work alone and am alone often because of this, and am new to town, so more solitude is actually the last thing I need or want. I need people! I ain't no hermit.

If I were around people all day because of work, and had a husband and children at home, no doubt I would savor the quiet time of wandering through the wilderness, but in the case of an extrovert like me, too much solitude is a very bad thing.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Walnut Creek is for mountain biking and trail running. It is not what you are looking for at all. I love it, but I know it very well because I used to live nearby it. You can get lost very easily. Great Hills and St Edwards Park are also fantastic but they are trails for trail running; not smooth, not groomed, and often unpopulated. (This is why I like them, personally!)
Thank you eirenecat! No I am not looking for unpopulated areas for trail running and hiking.

Quote:
Quarry Lake trail is more like what you have in mind. It is only 3/4 of a mile long, though. Technically you must have a Pure Austin membership or live in one of the apartment complexes to use it but the gates along the back of the loop leading into the office complex (behind Roaring Fork) are never locked. I run there regularly.
This is about a 2 minute drive from where I live. I've actually considered taking out a membership just to have access to that lake. Thank you for this info about accessing it in other places. You just saved me $100 a month.

Quote:
Brushy Creek Trail is awesome and is exactly what you are seeking. It's pretty far North through, depending on where you are coming from, and could land you in equivalent traffic dealing with commuters.
Seems like in the morning hours I'd be travelling in the opposite direction of the commuters?

Thank you again!

Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Ashbeeigh,

Thanks for your response. I checked out the Wells Branch park area online (after reading your post) and it's listing as being in 78728, which is far North (requiring tolls to get there and back). I guess that's why you're still looking!

I found beautiful Quarry Lake right on Braker Lane, but it's unfortunately owned by a gym and is members only.

It seems like the choices in North Austin for walking and running trails are either:

1) The street (is there anything more boring than jogging or walking in suburbia? The streets just aren't designed for pedestrians, and it shows).

2) The woods (sparsely populated and not maintained)

3) A couple of options in far North Austin, which require tolls to drive there.

I made the mistake of deciding to drive one morning to Town Lake, where there is the exact sort of safe, maintained, populated, picturesque trail I wanted to exercise on. I sat in endless traffic, and by the time I finally got to the trail, I was drained, annoyed and had to go to the bathroom. Never again.

Hopefully someone will post something here.
You can get there via 35. Exit Grand Ave parkway and if coming from the south take a left and turn left at the t. You'll be right there.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
I'm looking for some sort of outdoor space to walk/jog that is not far North (requiring tolls to get there and back), and that is well-maintained (not hiking trails - but smooth, even, surfaces, such as what is around Town Lake and Lady Bird Lake).

Is there anything like this in North Austin?

I'm hoping to find something I can easily drive to every morning.
Brushy Creek trail in Cedar Park is what you are looking for.

Drive to the Twin Lakes YMCA in Cedar Park off 183, the trail begins there. I think you'll like parking there because it's simply the YMCA's parking lot, lots of people there and a giant park.

It is several miles, it is paved, and there are many runners, bikers, and it is more urban, less remote.

You have to remember in Austin most people prefer running out on trails in remote areas. We are not Boston and don't want to be like that. But Cedar Park is just what you are wanting. The trail is miles and miles long, it stretches all the way to Round Rock. I believe it's 7.5 miles each way, so 15 miles if you really want a good workout in.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You have to remember in Austin most people prefer running out on trails in remote areas. We are not Boston and don't want to be like that.
Thank you for the info about where to park for Brushy Creek. Can't wait to check that out!

For me it's not about wanting Austin to be Boston, but rather about the kind of lifestyle I have here - working alone, living alone and not being around people much. As an extrovert, the thought of now exercising alone in unpopulated areas sounds very depressing. South Austin is full of the kind of spaces I have in mind - it's just a ***** to get to during the morning commute.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Have you thought of switching it up and doing something for exercise? Like joining the Y and taking a group exercise class instead? I haven't been to the Twin Creeks branch but every branch of the Y in Central Texas that I have gone to is full of friendly social people.

Report back on your impressions of Brushy Creek.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Have you thought of switching it up and doing something for exercise? Like joining the Y and taking a group exercise class instead? I haven't been to the Twin Creeks branch but every branch of the Y in Central Texas that I have gone to is full of friendly social people.

Report back on your impressions of Brushy Creek.
I was just thinking about that. The OP is a woman and is social. Usually those step classes are mighty social and give them a pretty good workout. Ex-wife #1 did that kind of thing.

IMHO you are not going to meet anyone running. When I'm running I like to look at nature and while I'll notice women running by, I would never bother someone on their running regime. Although I am a single guy I prefer the solitude of nature and am one of those folks that love when I have the trails all to myself. I find running the trails in the heat of the day the best way to get totally removed from the world and few people can brave the heat. The solitude is great and it almost feels primordial. But if OP is used to running around Boston Commons then I can understand why you don't like the woods here.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info about where to park for Brushy Creek. Can't wait to check that out!

For me it's not about wanting Austin to be Boston, but rather about the kind of lifestyle I have here - working alone, living alone and not being around people much. As an extrovert, the thought of now exercising alone in unpopulated areas sounds very depressing. South Austin is full of the kind of spaces I have in mind - it's just a ***** to get to during the morning commute.
Park at the parking lot on the left, go to the bathroom before you begin (if necessary), then the trail is on your right. First feature is going over the dam that creates the lake at the Y.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4941.../data=!3m1!1e3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin