Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:55 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was about to say that. He seems so much attached to this failed bond that I can't help but think he may be one of those trial lawyers, especially with his salary.
I'm not a lawyer and I don't get a salary. And, while you're agreeing with the Horse Lady, see if YOU can answer the charge that poor renters get no tax break from an increased HOMESTEAD exemption. She blew right by that little fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Come on, everyone agrees we need a new courthouse.

I'm angry at the county for only giving us this bad choice.

He's angry at the people who voted against this choice. That doesn't necessarily mean he has a personal stake in it.

Let's restrict things to the facts of the matter.
Thank you, this sums it up. But, as I've stated before: there was no choice on the table. Voting against the bond was voting against a new courthouse anytime soon. Which some people wanted you to do although they were cagey enough not to spell it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Or, you can be like me, and not be angry, just confused as to how the process really works - why some parameters (specifically in this case, location) seem to be assumed as immutable. It seems to me that there is an assumed starting point that the government buildings MUST be the center of the local community, around which the rest of society orbits. I don't think the location was chosen for its convenience so much as for its symbolism. I don't even think it is necessarily a conscious decision, but elected officials don't seem to understand that they are not the center of the universe.

I think putting the courthouse somewhere outside the center of downtown (not necessarily far away, but not in the economic ground zero) reflects my personal belief that it is a service provided to the population, not a central operator.

Just my two cents....
This raises an interesting point. To which I would add, what's wrong with a little civic symbolism? Justice, self-rule and fair play are the cornerstones of our civic "religion," the glue that unites a lot of different peoples on the North American continent. In the U.S, a courthouse is sort of our "cathedral" and replaces the cathedral at the center of almost every European city. Symbolism isn't always a bad thing, especially in a society now heavily weighted toward consumerism and economic determinism. There needs to be more that holds us together than where we shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most working poor work part time. The primary difference between poor and middle income class is jobs.

The best "movement to raise wages" is to get some skills and a full time job.
This is plain wrong and also stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
I'm not a lawyer and I don't get a salary. And, while you're agreeing with the Horse Lady, see if YOU can answer the charge that poor renters get no tax break from an increased HOMESTEAD exemption. She blew right by that little fact.

Thank you, this sums it up. But, as I've stated before: there was no choice on the table. Voting against the bond was voting against a new courthouse anytime soon. Which some people wanted you to do although they were cagey enough not to spell it out.

This raises an interesting point. To which I would add, what's wrong with a little civic symbolism? Justice, self-rule and fair play are the cornerstones of our civic "religion," the glue that unites a lot of different peoples on the North American continent. In the U.S, a courthouse is sort of our "cathedral" and replaces the cathedral at the center of almost every European city. Symbolism isn't always a bad thing, especially in a society now heavily weighted toward consumerism and economic determinism. There needs to be more that holds us together than where we shop.

This is plain wrong and also stupid.
You want symbolism? Put the courthouse near where a shopping mall has been replaced by an educational institution, with access for all. Now, THAT's symbolism, not an imitating of the symbolism of another place and time.

Okay, you're not one of the lawyers and you don't get a salary. So, developer with an eye at profiting financially from the courthouse being built downtown? Architect that designs it and gets his name on it and thinks it has more "cache" if it's downtown?

You really do sound like you have a personal dog in this fight.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You want symbolism? Put the courthouse near where a shopping mall has been replaced by an educational institution, with access for all. Now, THAT's symbolism, not an imitating of the symbolism of another place and time.

Okay, you're not one of the lawyers and you don't get a salary. So, developer with an eye at profiting financially from the courthouse being built downtown? Architect that designs it and gets his name on it and thinks it has more "cache" if it's downtown?

You really do sound like you have a personal dog in this fight.
Believe it or not, there really ARE people who, at least some of the time, do or say things out of conviction, not out of economic self-interest. On this topic (the courthouse), I'm one of those people.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, there really ARE people who, at least some of the time, do or say things out of conviction, not out of economic self-interest. On this topic (the courthouse), I'm one of those people.
I see what you did there. Of what were you convicted?

Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You've been on fire lately huh 10scoachrick!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Ah yes, you see right through me! Good 'un.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
I went back and reread the previous posts regarding property taxes and I'm still not clear on what you are saying here. But I wanted to clarify that landlords are not allowed any HOMESTEAD exemption on rental property. So they pay the full tax amount and that cost is rolled into the rent they charge. I was a landlord for 12 years, up until last year.

I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons for the creation of the Homestead Exemption was to encourage home ownership. If the politicians in our state wanted to assist renters they could allow that exemption for all residential property.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I went back and reread the previous posts regarding property taxes and I'm still not clear on what you are saying here. But I wanted to clarify that landlords are not allowed any HOMESTEAD exemption on rental property. So they pay the full tax amount and that cost is rolled into the rent they charge. I was a landlord for 12 years, up until last year.

I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons for the creation of the Homestead Exemption was to encourage home ownership. If the politicians in our state wanted to assist renters they could allow that exemption for all residential property.
It looks to me that you know the situation. Some here wanted to say (I think) that a "tax cut" would help poorer folks. I said, not so much, because the tax cut that just passed was only on homesteads. And, as you know, a piece of real estate not occupied by its owner is not a homestead; by definition, nothing that anyone rents is a homestead. And, seeing as many, probably a majority of poor people rent, they didn't benefit one bit from the recent constitutional amendment. In fact, a case could be made to say that they took a hit, because if the various government authorities that use our tax dollars continue to fund what they fund, and we just voted to cut homeowners' taxes, we just dumped an increased load on the rest of the tax paying public.
This amendment was misunderstood or ignored by many, was designed to pander to homeowning voters, and passed to the detriment of many Texas poor folks; it did not help them (unless they own the house they live in).

Old 11-13-2015, 06:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
It looks to me that you know the situation. Some here wanted to say (I think) that a "tax cut" would help poorer folks. I said, not so much, because the tax cut that just passed was only on homesteads. And, as you know, a piece of real estate not occupied by its owner is not a homestead; by definition, nothing that anyone rents is a homestead. And, seeing as many, probably a majority of poor people rent, they didn't benefit one bit from the recent constitutional amendment. In fact, a case could be made to say that they took a hit, because if the various government authorities that use our tax dollars continue to fund what they fund, and we just voted to cut homeowners' taxes, we just dumped an increased load on the rest of the tax paying public.
This amendment was misunderstood or ignored by many, was designed to pander to homeowning voters, and passed to the detriment of many Texas poor folks; it did not help them (unless they own the house they live in).
Agreed, I voted against 1,2,3,4 and for 5,6,7

Old 11-13-2015, 08:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
I agree that a tax cut for one group is necessarily a tax increase for anyone not in that group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin