Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 864 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Austin from the Chicago area.. I'm originally from South of DFW and I absolutely love the area, but from what I've heard about Austin the city might be more for me. I'm graduating from college in May and want to work in Advertising, and I've found a lot of job openings.. Just need to start applying! So here are my questions:

Is it easy to meet people? I'm a little nervous about moving halfway across the country without knowing anyone. I don't want to get down there and not be able to make friends! I know everyone down South is a heck of a lot friendlier than around Chicago, but moving is still a little intimidating.

What neighborhoods should I look into? I'd really like to be near good bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc but want somewhere that's safe and not crazy busy. Also don't want to spend a fortune on an apartment. I plan on having a dog so somewhere near trails, parks, etc would be nice.

Any transplants have some advice on adjusting to the weather? My one reservation about moving to Texas is the heat... I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it, but my family down there says I'll get used to it within a year of living there.

Is around 40k enough to live on comfortably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times
You won't have issues meeting people, especially at your age / demographic. Austin is very friendly and many people in similar circumstances move here every day.

I'm not sure on your second question, near bars and restaurants but not super busy and not expensive is a bit mutually exclusive. I am a south side guy so all I will say is there are lots of new things happening on congress south of Ben White.

The weather, well I have been here 4 years and I don't know that I will ever get used to the heat, and I think for me at least it is a cumulative effect, if anything I get less tolerant of it every year. If it bothers you make getaway plans in August, even a couple of weekends away can really break it up.

40k won't be luxury living but there are always options like having room mates.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Come visit. Austin is spread out and looking for the right place to live can be challenging if you haven't seen it and understand the variety of locations within each city, suburb, neighborhood, and area.

Define "don't want to spend a fortune" for us.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
I moved from Chicago to Austin last year.. Unsure what job you have..? Im self employed , so it wasn't hard for me. As for me, moving was one pain in the A**. I never want to do it again. I also moved my company here and had a entire semi truck filled up from top to bottom, front to back..

I would come visit... 40k is doable for a single young guy, but it is getting tight out here... all the cheap houses are long gone and rent just keeps going up. I just talked to a college kid today that was paying 1400 a month for a 1 bedroom in north austin.....

It is a great city. Im so glad I left chicago... sadly i am returning for thanksgiving this year for the first time since I moved here lol , I don't want to go back but family is there

Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I moved from Chicago to Austin last year.. Unsure what job you have..? Im self employed , so it wasn't hard for me. As for me, moving was one pain in the A**. I never want to do it again. I also moved my company here and had a entire semi truck filled up from top to bottom, front to back..

I would come visit... 40k is doable for a single young guy, but it is getting tight out here... all the cheap houses are long gone and rent just keeps going up. I just talked to a college kid today that was paying 1400 a month for a 1 bedroom in north austin.....

It is a great city. Im so glad I left chicago... sadly i am returning for thanksgiving this year for the first time since I moved here lol , I don't want to go back but family is there
chicago is a great city, lots of things that austin doesnt have. I wouldnt want to live there, but I do love to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: