Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times

Advertisements

We would like our kids to learn Spanish and to start now that they are all very young (6 and under by next summer). I was thinking perhaps a summer program would be a good start where they spend 3 months in an intesive program. I wondering if anyone here can recommend such a program ideally not too far south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 04:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
try Young People Workshop- north and south locations. also escualita del alma

Old 11-03-2015, 05:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Magellan has one, we know a ton of people who love it.

Our son went to Olas which he loved but he goes to YPW in northwest hills now for the all day spanish immersion. Olas is in two hour increments.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
try Young People Workshop- north and south locations. also escualita del alma
Thanks Clarksvillemom. Did your kids or any kid you know go to either of these? And if yes, hire is their spanish skills?

Quote:
Magellan has one, we know a ton of people who love it.

Our son went to Olas which he loved but he goes to YPW in northwest hills now for the all day spanish immersion. Olas is in two hour increments.
Austin97 - thanks, will check these out. How old is your son now and how old was he when he started? Did he just do the summer program or a year round one? How odd his Spanish? Do you have any Spanish speaker at home to practice with him?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 PM

307 posts, read 721,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
We would like our kids to learn Spanish and to start now that they are all very young (6 and under by next summer). I was thinking perhaps a summer program would be a good start where they spend 3 months in an intesive program. I wondering if anyone here can recommend such a program ideally not too far south.
My kids went to Preescolarte and had a good experience. I think that they offer camps during the summer.
My kids currently go to Escuelita Del Alma and we like that program as well. But make no mistake, it is basically a day care type situation. And I believe that generally there is a waiting list to get kids in there. Maybe if you are just interested in the summer months they will make an exception as many kids are in and out with vacations. Don't get the older building dissuade you - the staff is really great and the spanish program is strong.
My nieces went to YPW and liked it. We weren't as fond of the location, and when we visited the kids just didn't seem super happy. We got a better feeling from the previous two schools.
Austin Eco Bilingual (formerly Jardin De Ninos) has had lots of problems and I have not heard good things about the owner (Adriana Rodriguez) of that place. I believe that many students/teachers defected to Preescolarte and they did a name change to Austin Eco Bilingual School to try and make it look like they are making changes. Check it out, but be cautious. They have several locations, and I am most familiar with the south location. They have a Confidentiality policy that (and I have not seen it myself) allows them to seek legal action against you if you speak poorly of the school. I was at a former student's house and personally witnessed the owner call this mother and threaten legal action against her because she had told a friend that they didn't have a great experience there. Scary lady.

My neighbors send their kids to Linguistica Spanish Immersion Center and have very positive things to say about it. They send their kids there as a after school program, but they may have more of a full time thing as well, not sure.

Good luck, PM me if you need more info.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:41 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Thanks Clarksvillemom. Did your kids or any kid you know go to either of these? And if yes, hire is their spanish skills?

Austin97 - thanks, will check these out. How old is your son now and how old was he when he started? Did he just do the summer program or a year round one? How odd his Spanish? Do you have any Spanish speaker at home to practice with him?
my wife is somewhat fluent. He is 3, and had a mexican nanny for 2 years. He barely speaks english now but he understands spanish (and english). He just started at YPW northwest hills since it just opened.

YPW at 3 is more of a daycare situation, but the older class that my friend has her daughter in is actually actively teaching spanish. My son does come home with art he did with letters and pictures and he knows the spanish words. At YPW they are not quite as organized as st matthews (our other choice for our son) for example.

If you want the best with a real curriculum I think magellan is excellent. We just didnt want to pay that much, son was not potty trained yet, go 5 days a week.

It is fine, my only issue is how often he is getting sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: