Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:55 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,947,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
We used Austin Gutter King. Reliable.
I have a estimate with gutter king next thursday! They were one of the only companies that called back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
We used Austin Gutter King. Reliable.
I have a estimate with gutter king next thursday! They were one of the only companies that called back!

Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Thank you for all the help guys! I ended up getting two companies to call me back! One of them is coming out thursday (gutter king)? The other is a smaller company Christian Gutters! On friday...

I am going to try to get one more, but heck two is a lot better than none!

i guess one of the companies is booked with installs until christmas! I guess it makes sense since practically every house out here is missing gutters

Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,153,201 times
Call Sam @ 512-584-6410. Tell him I (Harrison S.) referred you.

I had 4 estimates back in May and Sam wasn't the cheapest, but I do believe he was the best and so I went with him.

We've had two terrible weekends of storms (Memorial Day and about 2 weekends ago) and our gutters held up flawlessly--couldn't be happier!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:10 PM

73 posts, read 89,337 times
Huh, I thought my house was the only oddball without gutters. Guess it's common down here? Back up north not a single house exists without gutters. Is it possible to get any kind of contractor out right now? Seems like most of them are booked no matter what the service is.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
Even without the 'deeper' overhangs common back in Mississippi, many homes are without gutters for various reasons. Our torrential downpours can overshoot a gutter right zippy, so the benefit is lessened considerably. They CAN do a great job of directing the water runoff during a steady lighter rain and I can't imagine I'll ever own a home without at least some gutters. Depending on the grade of the lot and the overall drainage patterns, gutters may not be needed on all sides of the home.

I reckon the builder in your area just didn't have gutter subs at the ready OR the directive was to keep the cost down to a minimum(what else is the house missing? ).

Be aware of the drainage patterns if you do add gutters. A misplaced downspout can get an adjacent neighbor riled up in a hurry!

Old 11-16-2015, 03:51 PM

73 posts, read 89,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Even without the 'deeper' overhangs common back in Mississippi, many homes are without gutters for various reasons. Our torrential downpours can overshoot a gutter right zippy, so the benefit is lessened considerably. They CAN do a great job of directing the water runoff during a steady lighter rain and I can't imagine I'll ever own a home without at least some gutters. Depending on the grade of the lot and the overall drainage patterns, gutters may not be needed on all sides of the home.

I reckon the builder in your area just didn't have gutter subs at the ready OR the directive was to keep the cost down to a minimum(what else is the house missing? ).

Be aware of the drainage patterns if you do add gutters. A misplaced downspout can get an adjacent neighbor riled up in a hurry!
There's a few houses in the neighborhood that I noticed without gutters since we moved here, and the same company did every house in the neighborhood I believe. The new houses being built in the sub-division behind us also are being built without gutters.

They did cut corners - they used Kitec piping in our house which recently caused a costly leak for us, and they also used shoddy material when installing our AC unit. The outside compressor wasn't installed properly and there was a huge fluid backup in the system which made it blow out 3 years ago.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM

15,238 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Most of the houses in our 'hood only have gutters around doorways/porches, so you don't need to cross through a waterfall to get out of your house. Our house has about 8 feet of gutter around the front stoop, maybe? The sides and back do not have gutters and we seem to not be any worse for wear without them; actually, I am probably better off not having to clean all those gutters several times a year . No noticeable negative effects from the roof run-off - the grass is not patterned, nor is there any gouging in the flower beds.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Most of the houses in our 'hood only have gutters around doorways/porches, so you don't need to cross through a waterfall to get out of your house. Our house has about 8 feet of gutter around the front stoop, maybe? The sides and back do not have gutters and we seem to not be any worse for wear without them; actually, I am probably better off not having to clean all those gutters several times a year . No noticeable negative effects from the roof run-off - the grass is not patterned, nor is there any gouging in the flower beds.
Brings up a good point! If no trees overhang your roof(or near it), you likely don't need any sort of 'gutter guard'; but I promise the money we spent back in Atlanta to keep the 'pin oak leaves and pine straw out of our gutters was well spent! Live Oaks are always dropping 'something', so I would surely look at some sort of gutter cover if any tree limbs overhang the roof.

Of course, the amount of rain falling off any particular section of the roof is dependent on (duh) the amount of rain from the sky AND the relationship of roof area and different slopes/directions. There was one house down the block with no gutters on the back, allowing the water to fall within a foot or so of the back door and splash freely onto the brick and trim. The back door(entire) got replaced in year 9 or so. Even without catastrophic damage, the convenience of entering/exiting the house without getting soaked is worth a few feet of gutters, I reckon. Additionally, back in Atlanta, you did NOT want that Georgia red clay splashing up on the siding of the house! Might as well paint the house brick orange!!!(One of the few things pine straw is good for...mulch around the house to mitigate the splashing, rutting and runoff of rain falling from the roof. Texas limestone is slightly friendlier in that regard; but still ugly if splashed up onto a contrasting color.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM

198 posts, read 498,628 times
We too are living in gutter despair. Our experience has been similar. We need new gutters, leaf guards and just general help. We will go the Costco route.......the sludge on white limestone is really ugly and I am expecting the HOA to notify us......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin