Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

Got this email through my HOA

Quote:
Dear Austin Water Customer,

Building on lessons learned during the drought, Austin Water is proposing to move to a permanent once-per-week watering schedule. This would mark a significant change for our community and we are seeking your input as we move this proposal forward to City Council. Watering restrictions are our biggest water savings measure and the one-day-per-week restrictions, along with positive community response, were critical in keeping the Highland Lakes above emergency levels during the worst parts of the drought. Given scientific predictions that this region is likely moving permanently to a hotter and dryer climate, Austin Water believes that permanent one-day-per-week restrictions are a sound direction for our community.

Along with consideration of one-day-per-week watering restrictions, Austin Water also wants public input on other parts of the conservation code to help develop the best overall package of conservation strategies. For example, if one-day-per-week watering restrictions become permanent, other restrictions might be relaxed in earlier conservation stages, such as those on power washing, fountains, commercial patio misters, and home car washes. We would like your input and participation in putting together a package that best protects our water resources in these challenging times.

To kick off the public input process we will hold the first of several meetings on December 2nd. Residents will have an opportunity to engage in small group discussions that will help us craft the regulations that support this new watering schedule. Please come and share your ideas and recommendations.

Wednesday, December 2
Waller Creek Center
625 E. 10th Street, Room 104
6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Free garage parking

If you plan to attend or have any questions about this process, please let us know by emailing Geneva Guerrero, geneva.guerrero@austintexas.gov. Austin Water’s current Water Conservation Code can be reviewed online by visiting http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def.../ordinance.pdf .

Kindest Regards,
Greg Meszaros, Director
Austin Water

Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
works for me! I turned my irrigation system off long ago. I have neighbors who water for 2-3 hours, I can't imagine their bills.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
2-3 hours? Lol if we did that not only would all the grass die, the trees would too...

So Austin is considering going to once a week but the farmers are still going to get to use more water than all of Austin uses by a factor of whatever... gg Austin...

Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
works for me! I turned my irrigation system off long ago. I have neighbors who water for 2-3 hours, I can't imagine their bills.
Me too. I've been xeriscaping, so I'd much rather trade this off and maybe gain back the ability to wash my car once or twice a year.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:09 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
This is much easier than building a new reservoir that Austin can pull water from.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:25 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
2-3 hours? Lol if we did that not only would all the grass die, the trees would too...

So Austin is considering going to once a week but the farmers are still going to get to use more water than all of Austin uses by a factor of whatever... gg Austin...
How do you account for all the trees still alive out there that don't receive one drop of irrigation?

Proper watering once weekly is certainly enough to maintain mature trees in good health in an urban setting.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post

Do you want a green lawn or food on your plate ??

Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My (non turf grass) landscaping requires 1" of water per week in the absence of rain fall. I am not going to spend the $$$$ to xeriscape a half acre lot. Screw green grass, I just don't want my lot looking like a desert. I come from the northeast, where the things are green. Having a rock showcase with sporadic yuccas isn't my thing.

I will also fill my pool because I do not want to damage the equipment, which can happen due to the blazing hot heat.

Questions About a Swimming Pool Losing Water | Home Guides | SF Gate

Both things are investments that I will protect because they are far more expensive to replace. I understand the need to be water wise and I don't add any plants that are notorious water hogs, but there needs to be some middle ground. Once a week watering is detrimental. In addition, our area has clay soils. "All or nothing" watering produces runoff pretty quickly.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I will also fill my pool because I do not want to damage the equipment, which can happen due to the blazing hot heat.
And you are welcome to order a truckfull of water to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In addition, our area has clay soils. "All or nothing" watering produces runoff pretty quickly.
Not with soaker hoses.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
And you are welcome to order a truckfull of water to do so.

Not with soaker hoses.
I am not going to order a "truckfull of water". I will continue to water twice per week and will pay whatever bill crosses my desk.

And it would take many meters of soaker hoses (at a cost to me) to handle all of the landscaping on my lot. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin