Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM

211 posts, read 430,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
To summarize: If you have not lived in Austin fro at least 10 years, then you are responsible for ruining Austin.

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
I have about 2 more years left before my statue of limitations expires.

My big-box house,
my love of professional sports (Cowboys)
my expensive car
my ability to play musical instruments rather poorly.

^^ these character attributes will all be acceptable to my fellow Austonians once I've crossed that 10-year threshold.

New rights that I will gain once I cross that threshold:

The ability to rent out my house to Californians.
The right to start a new business
The right to look down on others who moved here after me*

* especially if they live in an area not as nice as mine, or live further from downtown than I do.

(even though they are younger than me, better educated than me, and paid more for their house than I did)

Old 11-25-2015, 11:06 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:

My big-box house,
my expensive car

^^ these character attributes will all be acceptable to my fellow Austonians once I've crossed that 10-year threshold.

* especially if they live in an area not as nice as mine, or live further from downtown than I do.

(even though they are younger than me, better educated than me, and paid more for their house than I did)
Firstly you must learn that we are Austinites, not Austonians.

Dead giveaway.

I lol'ed at the rest of your post, though.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:11 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Austonians??? Is that someone from Auston?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Times change - it isn't like they went out of business, they just moved one store location. Doesn't really seem like all that much drama.

The rental process for commercial space is interesting, I suppose. Up north, at Parmer/MoPac, there was a TexMEx restaurant named La Morada (next to the HEB) that was there for 25ish years, maybe? Anyway, the landlord would not come to terms with a rental rate that was sustainable for the restaurant and they just closed down. Now, more than a year after they closed, that space is still empty (or was about a month ago).
businesses need to own their own real estate if they can.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
"Austonian" was subtle sarcasm bordering on subliminal.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
Yes, but ... could someone who lives in the Austonian Condos downtown be referred to as an Austonian Austinite? ;-)

Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:

My big-box house,
my expensive car

Well you certainly have the right attitude

Old 11-25-2015, 03:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
To summarize: If you have not lived in Austin for at least 10 years, then you are responsible for ruining Austin.
Nah. Lots of folks move here and love it for what it is, rather than complaining about what it isn't and trying to turn it into that. Those folks aren't responsible for ruining Austin.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:21 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nah. Lots of folks move here and love it for what it is, rather than complaining about what it isn't and trying to turn it into that. Those folks aren't responsible for ruining Austin.
Yeah, probably over 99% of the folks who move here love it for what it is, including 100% of them in this thread. But don't let that stop you from continuing to make your scattershot and pompous pronouncements in any thread that happens to mention that Austin isn't exactly the same as it was when you decided to move out of the city (which is about 20 years ago now, right?).

Amy's seems to have made a well-reasoned business decision to close one place because it couldn't continue to be profitable, and is opening other stores that hopefully will be profitable. How dare that ruin "your" Austin that you moved out of 20 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin