Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Back to the topic at hand -

I understand why a lot of people think a normal bicycle is not very effective for transportation, in a general sense. I have been road cycling for 16 years, and was a fairly decent amatuer racer. I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I'm no slouch.

I applaud the traditional bike commuters. But, I also prefer to use an ebike for most of my transportation. It completely changes the game. It's almost as quick as a scooter, but you can still get a workout, and use bike lanes to pass congested traffic. When it's cold, you can dress warmer. Then, once you get warm a few minutes in, you ease up so you don't start sweating. An ebike allows you to regulate body temperature waay easier than not having the assistance.

Hills? Not a factor anymore.
Heat? It's not as sweat free as sitting in AC, but you can just coast and ride like a scooter. Still a lot cooler than walking a few blocks from a car parking space. The difference of an ebike in 100 degree heat is huge. No heat exhuastion or sweaty clothes. You also don't need to "gear up" as you would on a higher speed two wheeler, (safety gear). That makes it substantially more convient and cooler. (I sometimes ride a motorcycle and dislike it for that reason).

Air pollution - you can coast and reduce the amount of exhuast you are sucking in on the busy parts of your commute. Then get your exercise on the quiet streets with cleaner air.

Cargo - my ebike can easily carry 80lbs, or 4 bags of groceries. Bigger tires and a more robust cargo style commuter are not slowing you down thanks to the motor.

My point is that once more people learn about ebikes, and prices come down, they will vastly change the equation for people who are interested in using a 'bike' for transportation. They are the perfect urban and sub 20 mile commute vehicle.

Safety of proper infrastructure + capability of electric bicycles.

Please do not construe that I am saying "everyone will ride an ebike". I'm not. But they could replace hundreds of thousands of vehicle trips each day.
I am interested in purchasing an ebike. I went to Rocket to test ride the pedego. AMAZING!

But I can't afford $3,000.

So, I looked online and saw various models for $500-$1,000. Why such a vast range of prices? Is a $600 ebike worth buying? or are they just crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:28 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Fuel taxes (partially) pay for highways. Not maintenance of roads (the ones cyclists use). Those are paid for with property taxes, that cyclists also pay.
I've seen plenty of cyclists on highways - and I guess you tacitly admit cyclists aren't paying the other fees. So make cyclists pay for insurance, annual registration, etc.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:41 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
I've seen plenty of cyclists on highways - and I guess you tacitly admit cyclists aren't paying the other fees.
As I said, those fees only partially pay for highways. Cyclists still pay plenty for highways, given that they do no damage to them.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:51 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
As I said, those fees only partially pay for highways. Cyclists still pay plenty for highways, given that they do no damage to them.
I may be one of the very few people that solely commuted by road bike for years. Even then with bad weather I drove my truck. Depending on how your roads are funded most bike commuters still drive even if occasionally. With the cheaper E-bike options I'll be doing a lot more riding to work

Old 12-01-2015, 12:53 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I am interested in purchasing an ebike. I went to Rocket to test ride the pedego. AMAZING!

So, I looked online and saw various models for $500-$1,000. Why such a vast range of prices? Is a $600 ebike worth buying? or are they just crap?
Some are junk. Some are outright steals. To be useful you need something that can maintain speed for at least an hour with moderate peddling. You can get a kit with a drum motor to replace an existing wheel that looks to be cheaper for an existing Mt bike.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some are junk. Some are outright steals. To be useful you need something that can maintain speed for at least an hour with moderate peddling. You can get a kit with a drum motor to replace an existing wheel that looks to be cheaper for an existing Mt bike.
I built my ebike with one of those kits, all in for about 600. The motor kit with wheel was about 275, the bike I already had, I probably spent 50 or so in extra parts, and the rest was the battery pack and charger. I opted for a lipo pack which is pricey, but you could get by with cheaper lead-acid if you don't mind the bulk and weight.

Works great, I want to build another...

Old 12-01-2015, 03:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

ebikes are also just the powered hubs. You can just buy a powered hub (on a wheel) to an existing bike. The Battery can just sit on a rack.

I agree that ebikes are game changers, but most of the paths today prohibit motorized vehicles.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:07 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I agree that ebikes are game changers, but most of the paths today prohibit motorized vehicles.
Where? Not in Texas/Austin.

ebikes aren't "motor vehicles"

http://bicycleaustin.info/laws/tx-bike.html

Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm all for more protected bike lanes. It's amazing what Austin has been able to do, even though it's far from anything truly comprehensive at this point. The fact that they've been able to do what they have in a relatively hostile environment (wrt the state and suburban areas, inside the city I know it is very much supported) is no small feat. I am really curious how the new bike bridge across 360 and Mopac will be received, once all those people stuck in traffic get to look at the free-flowing protected bike lanes. Could change some minds, or infuriate drivers toward cyclists more... hoping for the former, but fear the latter could happen.

Anyway I hope they can keep adding to the bicycle infrastructure, and wish you well on your push to get more.
Thanks CIO! I appreciate the encouragement!

Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Nope and nope.

As it turns out...Adding Bike Lanes do NOT cause additional congestion, and if done right, they SOLVE congestion:

No, Bike Lanes Don't Cause Horrible Congestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin