Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 12,183 times

Advertisements

We are moving from a suburb of Atlanta to Austin next summer. We are considering to move to Steiner Ranch area because of its landscape. In general I've heard that Steiner Ranch schools are very good. But I wanted to see how the 3 elementary schools compare to each other. Apart from good academics, the following are very important to us:
1. Open Communication between parents and teachers. Can we send email to teachers?

2. IEP co-ordination. My daughter has some minor special needs and has an IEP. Being able to discuss the details and get suggestions and feedback from the teachers is very important to us.

3. Class sizes

4. After school activities

5. PTA activities and opportunities to volunteer

Any feedback regarding these 3 elementary schools will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
My son goes to Steiner.

1. At Steiner yes, I do it all the time, not sure about Bush or River Ridge but I think so.

2. IEP is about the same at Steiner vs. Bush. River Ridge is far superior in this regard for extreme special needs. Steiner and Bush hold their own for minor Sped.

3. Class sizes will be smaller at Steiner until the new apartments open up. So now Steiner, in about 5 years it will shift to Bush, but lines will be redrawn by then I'm sure.

4. Bush probably excels the most there.

5. Steiner has the edge there. You are almost expected to sign up each year.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad email is a common form of communication with teachers, it would be very hard without that.

My daughter will start 4th grade next year, so we will be at elementary school for only 2 years. When are the new apartments opening up?

Regarding after school programs, I just saw that Leander ISD manages that for all schools. Is the list on Leander's website accurate as to what after-school classes are offered at each school?

Are there any chess classes available in Steiner ranch area, I didn't see that as part of after-school classes. She loves chess and will be disappointed if she can't continue that. The other thing that we were looking for was chorus/musical kind of class. That's another thing she is doing currently in school and would be nice if she can do that next year as well.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My son goes to Steiner.

1. At Steiner yes, I do it all the time, not sure about Bush or River Ridge but I think so.

2. IEP is about the same at Steiner vs. Bush. River Ridge is far superior in this regard for extreme special needs. Steiner and Bush hold their own for minor Sped.

3. Class sizes will be smaller at Steiner until the new apartments open up. So now Steiner, in about 5 years it will shift to Bush, but lines will be redrawn by then I'm sure.

4. Bush probably excels the most there.

5. Steiner has the edge there. You are almost expected to sign up each year.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:31 AM

318 posts, read 670,219 times
Which part of ATL?

We moved here in 2011 from a northeastern ATL 'burb and looked at Steiner but it "felt" far out from where we'd be going all the time. Mostly because of the drive on 620 to get anywhere.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:12 PM

We are in Johns Creek. We too are concerned about Steiner being away from a lot of other areas, including my husband's work. The reason we are getting inclined to it is because of the beautiful hills and hoping to find a house with a lake view. When we visited Austin for the 1st time, we stayed near Round Rock. I found it flat and that it lacked greenery. Living in Georgia for so long, I've become used to having trees everywhere . So, when we saw Steiner we loved it.

Till we actually buy a house, we are open to other suggestions as well. Which area did you end up in?

How does the traffic on 620 compare to Atlanta traffic on GA400 or 285 at rush hour?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post
Which part of ATL?

We moved here in 2011 from a northeastern ATL 'burb and looked at Steiner but it "felt" far out from where we'd be going all the time. Mostly because of the drive on 620 to get anywhere.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Also, what are some of the things that you feel are far from Steiner ranch? It would be good to get that perspective before we make any final decision.

Quote:
Which part of ATL?

Good luck to you!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM

318 posts, read 670,219 times
We ended up in Avery Ranch. There are hills and trees here and I have a great view of greenspace.

My husband's job is off 183 and Anderson Mill, and he was used to no commute, so I wanted something short.

I love Steiner Ranch for the beauty, but it takes a while to get from my friend's neighborhood (toward the back) just to the front of the neighborhood to get out (about 10 min). BUT, there's a grocery store, restaurant, hair places, etc right there in the 'hood as well, so many conveniences are readily available.

For me, I like being able to hop on 183, 45, or Parmer to get to the majority of places I need to be quickly.

620 is more frustrating (IMO) than 285 and 400 because of the lights, fewer lanes, and the SHORT DISTANCE that you usually have to go, but takes so long. In non-rush times, it's not a problem, but during peak times it could take a long time to go one mile. The intersections at 2222 and also at Anderson Mill can be very lengthy.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

If we can find beautiful neighborhoods closer to the area you mentioned, it would be perfect. What schools would fall in that area? We have one other constraint, we want to avoid the schools which are stressful and too competitive. So, any input on that will be helpful too.

Quote:
We ended up in Avery Ranch. There are hills and trees here and I have a great view of greenspace.

My husband's job is off 183 and Anderson Mill, and he was used to no commute, so I wanted something short.

I love Steiner Ranch for the beauty, but it takes a while to get from my friend's neighborhood (toward the back) just to the front of the neighborhood to get out (about 10 min). BUT, there's a grocery store, restaurant, hair places, etc right there in the 'hood as well, so many conveniences are readily available.

For me, I like being able to hop on 183, 45, or Parmer to get to the majority of places I need to be quickly.

620 is more frustrating (IMO) than 285 and 400 because of the lights, fewer lanes, and the SHORT DISTANCE that you usually have to go, but takes so long. In non-rush times, it's not a problem, but during peak times it could take a long time to go one mile. The intersections at 2222 and also at Anderson Mill can be very lengthy.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:30 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl_to_aus View Post
If we can find beautiful neighborhoods closer to the area you mentioned, it would be perfect. What schools would fall in that area? We have one other constraint, we want to avoid the schools which are stressful and too competitive. So, any input on that will be helpful too.
- Where is the husband's job located.

- How do you define stressful & "too" competitive? (are you trying to get the kid in the top 10%?, or just avoid 3-4 hours of homework per night in HS?)

- On a scale of 1-10 how competitive do you want it? Note: Vandegrift (the HS that Steiner flows into) would probably be an 8 or 9 on that scale fwiw.

- LOTS of HSs in greater Austin (especially in W & NW Austin) would be good to very good schools and not "too" competitive. & most have some beautiful neighborhoods that flow into them.

Now where is your husband's job located? (& what is your budget?)

Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 PM

My husband's job is near W. Parmer Ln and McNeil Dr. Our budget is max 500K for a house of around 3000 sq ft.

Yes, we want to avoid insane amount of homework, and too much focus on test scores. The ideal environment would be where teachers have time and resources to be able to provide individual focus and help the child if he/she is falling behind or struggling. Also, the points I was asking about in the original post are important at least at elementary level.

I would absolutely want to explore "good to very good schools and not "too" competitive. & most have some beautiful neighborhoods that flow into them." It would be great if you can send some more details.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
- Where is the husband's job located.

- How do you define stressful & "too" competitive? (are you trying to get the kid in the top 10%?, or just avoid 3-4 hours of homework per night in HS?)

- On a scale of 1-10 how competitive do you want it? Note: Vandegrift (the HS that Steiner flows into) would probably be an 8 or 9 on that scale fwiw.

- LOTS of HSs in greater Austin (especially in W & NW Austin) would be good to very good schools and not "too" competitive. & most have some beautiful neighborhoods that flow into them.

Now where is your husband's job located? (& what is your budget?)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin