Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 6,751 times

Advertisements

Maybe we will rent for a while to check out neighborhoods....currently live in Pasadena neighborhood in CA...lots of restaurants, movie theTres..shops.etc etc ....
When we looked at Circle C I did not see any interesting restaurants..just some chain near the movie theatre I think was called Alamo....so you need to drive downtown for shopping and restaurants?
Also, is Circle C ok for empty nesters ...our kids are all in college/ grad school. How easy to make friends....love the new homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
The District, NXNW, Satellite Cafe are all at the north end of CC and decent dining. Waterloo, Mangeris, Santa Rita are in the same area but a bit less expensive. There is a ton of shopping/eating south of 290, so no, no need to go downtown unless you need to get rid of some money quickly .

Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmomofthree View Post
Maybe we will rent for a while to check out neighborhoods....currently live in Pasadena neighborhood in CA...lots of restaurants, movie theTres..shops.etc etc ....
When we looked at Circle C I did not see any interesting restaurants..just some chain near the movie theatre I think was called Alamo....so you need to drive downtown for shopping and restaurants?
Also, is Circle C ok for empty nesters ...our kids are all in college/ grad school. How easy to make friends....love the new homes there.
I think renting makes a lot of sense (especially for an empty nester looking for the right tennis/neighborhood fit).

I was born in Pasadena (& grew up in Sierra Madre). At the time these were considered far flung LA burbs (with decent schools) that were cheap enough that my young parents were able to afford.

For an empty nester (who wants to play tennis daily in a country club/tennis club environment) in Austin, I would consider (in order):

- Westwood Tennis Club. (but you better have big bucks to join and to live nearby) Closest to downtown. Beautiful area.
- Austin Country Club. (also need big bucks)...on the other side of Lake Austin from Westwood TC.
- Courtyard Tennis Club. This might be THE best fit. A Tennis club for tennis players. Not as expensive as the two above, lots of condos nearby & within walking distance. A good location next to the Bridge (& near Austin Country Club). I'd look there for a rental. Very pretty & nice area.
- Lakeway - WOT (world of tennis). Or this might be the best fit. The furthest from downtown, but a pretty area next to LT. Lots of tennis geeks, lots of courts. Not too far from lots of restaurants etc. (at the HC Galleria). & you could rent a condo next to the courts. But may be too "burby".
- Riverplace/Lost Creek/Barton Creek/Steiner-UT - Four very nice country clubs in beautiful/nice areas. All flow to great schools so all are also "family oriented" & burby. FWIW, I've always loved the old school vibe at Lost Creek.
- Grey Rock - in CC & will be part of city of Austin parks.
- Balcones or Great Hills (smaller, not as much tennis & not quite as nice country clubs as Riverplace or Lost Creek.

WW, Courtyard, WOT & Steiner all have some indoor courts which may come in handy when it's 110 outside or raining.

If it was me, I'd rent a condo next to Courtyard and check the top 7 places above out. Also don't forget to check out austintennisnet.org & Capital Area Tennis Assoc. for extra information & playing opportunities.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:29 PM

8 posts, read 6,751 times
Thanks for the detailed info... Very very helpful

Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Not a lot of grocery shopping around the Courtyard; but I agree it certainly fits for the tennis aspect of your search. You would become all too familiar with Capital of Texas Hwy 360...to get you just about anywhere from there. 2222 used to be a fun road(still CAN be when there is light traffic); but it will wear on you after a while. Pretty views along both highways...for the navigator...driver needs to watch for all the potential hazards.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Mmmmmmm...tennis.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Other tennis in Austin threads that might be helpful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=21286910
Broken link, I have found that always happens when you try to link to the results of a search query.

Quote:
Sorry - no matches or filtered words used in the search query. Please try some different terms.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM

83 posts, read 103,980 times
I'm in Lost Creek. It's older houses and an older club, but very central to downtown. You're about 15 minutes instead of 35-40 with Lakeway at a minimum. 360 gets really backed but I think Lakeway is great. We considered moving there. The Lost Creek club is affordable too, compared to Austin Country Club. I would say the neighborhood is a mix of ages. It's the burbs, but not cookie cutter and has nice hills and privacy.

If you want a swankier, more upscale vibe, I think Lakeway or Steiner Ranch would suit you more and it's comparable in price because it's further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin