Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 AM

18 posts, read 27,562 times

Advertisements

The job is in north of Austin.
Have one kid, hope to find nice house with good schools.

I am checking the Highland Horizon, Trails of Shady Oaks or caballo ranch.
Please advise which one is better.

Another question is, if I buy new home from builder, can I negotiate the price by myself or I have to go through a realtor and submit an offer? I am interested in Move In Ready home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 AM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
It all comes down to which is closest to your job. They're all masterplanned communities offering similar things, though Caballo is in Leander. If your job doesn't involve you taking the metrorail or along 183, then it may seem like a longer commute. HH is probably the better in terms of location and the schools I think are stronger.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,756,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklj123 View Post
The job is in north of Austin.
Have one kid, hope to find nice house with good schools.

I am checking the Highland Horizon, Trails of Shady Oaks or caballo ranch.
Please advise which one is better.

Another question is, if I buy new home from builder, can I negotiate the price by myself or I have to go through a realtor and submit an offer? I am interested in Move In Ready home. Thanks!
Where is the job located in "north of Austin"? (cross streets)

Which Middle Schools & High Schools do each of these neighborhoods flow into? (If you don't know, then find out.)

Not a lot of "negotiating" going on right now. & even where there was, most (all?) builders won't give a discount for not using a buyers agent. So you might as well get one, especially since you're a newbie to Austin.

What's your budget?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM

The job location is in Round Rock, closest to HH.
Is it really hard to negotiate now?
Our budget is 400K, since our kid is very little, so we kind of want to enjoy new house for now, as long as elementary school is good.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,485,189 times
Quote:
The job location is in Round Rock, closest to HH.
Is it really hard to negotiate now?
Our budget is 400K, since our kid is very little, so we kind of want to enjoy new house for now, as long as elementary school is good.
Not a lot of wiggle room 'up here' from what I've heard. HH straddles a brand new road that connects almost immediately with Texas 45 toll and MoPac, so commuters headed in many directions find it attractive.

"Where" in Round Rock is important to know...your job could be many miles from these locations...or just down the road.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:54 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
If your job is closest to that part of Round Rock, it wouldn't make much sense commuting from Leander. if it is closest to HH and you desire new, I guess HH would fit the bill.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks.
But I don't see many builders in HH, only standard pacific. Can anyone tell me if there are more builders that sell new house?
I am moving from Houston, houses here still have wiggle room, if Austin is different, I don't understand why.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,485,189 times
Quote:
Thanks.
But I don't see many builders in HH, only standard pacific. Can anyone tell me if there are more builders that sell new house?
I am moving from Houston, houses here still have wiggle room, if Austin is different, I don't understand why.
For the past X years, Austin has been in the "Top cities to XXXXXX...." Best in the world, finest this and that, fastest growing such and such....100+ people a day moving in, etc, etc.

I'm surprised you haven't heard.

Seems CalAtlantic is the 'parent' of Ryland Homes and Standard Pacific; but the new homes in HH are under the Standard Pacific marque.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 PM

37 posts, read 42,944 times
Austin has less of a supply of Houses for sale than Houston, so it's just a bit more competitive.

We felt lucky to get some free flooring and blinds out of our new build a year ago.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:57 PM

I also want to look at Ranch at Brushy Creek, i see the schools are better.
I guess I have to pay for the *hot hot* Austin, although I don't see this city that fancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin