Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/jeffstensla...type=3&theater

Not sure if the above link is reachable since it is facebook. Here is an image of the letter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
City Council is not banning Uber or Lyft. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
I had my photo taken and was fingerprinted when I got a taxi license in Austin, circa 2003. It was not a big deal......but of course I don't have a felony conviction like some. If this involves more than just those issues please inform.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
City Council is not banning Uber or Lyft. Please stop spreading misinformation.
I agree this is mis information. All City Council is asking is that they phase in a requirement for drivers to get background checks before being allowed to drive for them. Seems completely reasonable to me.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 PM

Uber and Lyft, while I like the services, have been downright dishonest to their employees and their user base. I don't know about you, but they've been pounding me with emails about how Austin is pushing them out or making them leave; telling their drivers that they're going to lose their jobs. Disgraceful.

It reminds me of that Parks & Rec episode when Paunch Burger threatens to lay off workers after Leslie Knope pushes for a soda tax.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
maybe Im not fully understanding, but here is the revised ordinance

http://austin.siretechnologies.com/s...5101455834.PDF

It is not just about finger prints

Quote:
The sections to be added to existing Code relate to the regulation of Transportation Network companies and include
vehicle safety inspections, accessibility, data reporting requirements, trade dress, geofencing, and a prohibition on
stopping in a travel lane.
here is a TNC response

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ed-austin.html

Old 12-17-2015, 09:51 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
maybe Im not fully understanding, but here is the revised ordinance

http://austin.siretechnologies.com/s...5101455834.PDF

It is not just about finger prints

here is a TNC response

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ed-austin.html
Understand. I just want to know is there anything in these new requirements that go beyond the regulations imposed on traditional taxi cab companies?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Understand. I just want to know is there anything in these new requirements that go beyond the regulations imposed on traditional taxi cab companies?
Absolutely not.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:29 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
As I understand it, the complaint against fingerprinting is not 'what if you turn up a felony conviction,' but 'what if you turn up an arrest with no conviction.' If something later happens with that driver, you can bet that Uber will be slapped with a civil suit because it 'should have known' to bar the person with no conviction record but hits on his fingerprint check from driving. You have to ask why a company like Uber would be against something that ostensibly would reduce the rate of dangerous people driving under their banner. The answer is that it wouldn't, or at least, the extent to which it would is dwarfed by the new problems it introduces.

I don't really care about the requirements for traditional taxi companies. Traditional taxi companies are not about driving or about passengers. They are about limiting the supply of taxi medallions and doing well in the market for taxi medallions (which has crashed since Uber and Lyft have been on the scene). Give me even the most surly, wandering Uber driver where an app knows where I am and who is responsible over any regular taxicab - after six years in NYC I'll be happy to never get into one again.

The bulk of the proposed regulations are bureaucratic fluff. Fire extinguishers, trade dress - does anyone care about these things? I get reasonable disagreement about fingerprints since the city certainly has an interest in safety, but it's naive to suppose that the city's interest is either greater than or more effective than Uber's own interest, given their liability if and when something does happen.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'm frankly repelled by Uber's corporate attitude all across the country when involved with cities of "give me my way or I'll take my ball and go home". I seriously doubt that their liability is a consideration, because their approach doesn't seem that mature and considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin