Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 AM

109 posts, read 330,901 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are moving from NW Austinto Manor next month and we are hoping that crime in Manor is not as bad as we've heard, is it?? T Will we need a home alarm security system? Thank you in Advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 05:55 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,314 times
I live just South of Manor in county and I feel it is a safe area. The crimes that are committed here are mostly petty crime and domestic stuff. Manor has a stigma to it that has been carried down through the years. I wouldn't say it's the fanciest area in the Austin area, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be on this forum.

Also, with the Manor's growth it's also getting a better class of people....In other words, out of stater's moving here that know nothing about Manor's stigma are moving here before they know any better...and because it's an affordable option. I know I'll probably get bashed for saying that, but it's true.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I don't live in that area but have heard similar comments before about high crime rates. Applying the statistical crime rates is a quandary when looking at small communities. You can see the crime statistics and rates here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Manor-Texas.html Unfortunately, the last year reported is 2005.

Compared to say Austin

https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

I say it is a quandary because, for example, Manor had 0 murders and 1 rape in 2005. But mathematically that gives it a rape crime rate of 84 per 100,000 people.

That seems a bit unreasonable when compared to Austin which had 312 rapes in 2005, but mathematically has a rape crime rate of 45 per 100,000 people. Not to mention 20 murders.

Manor had 1 robbery, giving it a robbery rate of 84.5 per 100,000. Austin had 1,182 robberies, giving it a robbery rate of 88 per 100,000.

Manor had 15 assaults, giving it an assault rate of 1266 per 100,000. Austin had 1873, giving it an assault rate of 270 per 100,000.

Manor had 17 burglaries, a rate of 1435. Austin had 7285 burglaries, a rate of 1051.

Do you see why I say it is a quandary?

I think it is safe to say that what crime you encounter in Manor will have a lot to do with who you associate with. Also in a small community the perpetrators are more likely to be recognized, so over all I think they are safer.

This website says Manor crime rates are average. Manor TX crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
Small town, relatively high crime.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 PM

668 posts, read 783,516 times
I lived in Manor about a decade ago. It was just as the multitudes of subdivisions were being built, and IME it was a strange mix of ranchers, country types, and what I would affectionately refer to as the "rural ghetto." (I know Austin doesn't really have a truly bad neighborhood like parts of Houston or LA.) We called Craigwood Drive on 969 "Crackwood."

I got my first German Shepherd while living out on 3 acres in Manor because my then-boyfriend traveled often for work and I wasn't thrilled by the thought of being home alone for long stretches; my immediate neighbors were nice people but some of their friends and relatives were not. One of my other sets of neighbors were engaged in shall we say an alternate economy. There were both dog fighting and **** fighting rings going on out there (probably still are). I didn't experience any crime, but I lived a ways off 969, I had a gate I could close to my driveway, and I ended up with two German Shepherds by the time we left.

One of my friends bought a brand-new starter house off Blake Manor in 2003 or thereabouts; by the time she and her husband divorced 3 years later there were a multitude of foreclosures in her neighborhood and some less than desirable renters coming in. If I were to live in Manor today, I would look very carefully at the lower-budget starter home neighborhoods (most of them are 5-10 years old now) and probably steer clear of them. Some of the newest subdivisions may be slightly better. An older home in the more rural parts of Manor I would think would be the safest, actually--outside of town, closer to Elgin, or near Webberville.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:29 PM

198 posts, read 318,455 times
The area does not have a ton of crime, but it is a pretty rural town and the schools are pretty lousy. Your biggest concern are the renters. I would be more concerned about your cars more so than your home.

When I lived there here is what I saw when I lived out in Shadowglen:

- Petty crime - vandalism, cars broken in - all with cars left outside - never home invasions or burglary in the home.
- There was a knockout game going on in the neighborhood where random joggers and walkers were getting knocked out
- Our next door neighbor's pitbull got out and an killed a small dog. The sheriff was called - the dog attacked the sheriff - Sheriff shot the dog. This neighbor moved away a few months later.
- A number of rattle snakes spotted where the sheriff was called to get rid of

Most of the crime happened in the front of the community where all the bigger homes were. It was usually people coming in from the outside of the community to stir up trouble. The back area of the community was fairly quiet. The main complaint we had was usually renters who did not keep up with their lawns or had parties that went on until 5 AM. The area seems to be getting better with the home increases and forced landlords finally being able to sell their homes...the schools district however is still a major issue there. I moved out and would never consider moving back. It's unfortunate because the ShadowGlen subdivision is pretty nice and the homes are great - but the surrounding area can be pretty rough.

IMO - if you want to move there because it's cheap - consider curbing your home expectations and move to a more established area and a smaller home...the tax rates in Manor are also one of the highest out there as well (since many of the subdivisions are in MUD's and the Manor ISD tax rate is one of the highest out there). The tax savings I made from moving to another area nearly made my mortgage the same even though the home price was more o_0.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:51 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
I have never lived out there, but I've recently been to several parties and events out there, some at night, and felt safe. Seems like some of my younger friends are moving out there to have some land to organic farm. They seem really happy with their choice.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I have never lived out there, but I've recently been to several parties and events out there, some at night, and felt safe. Seems like some of my younger friends are moving out there to have some land to organic farm. They seem really happy with their choice.
rural acreage is completely different than inexpensive, tightly packed houses in master planned communities.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:15 AM

198 posts, read 318,455 times
There tends to be a number of petty crimes in Manor, but I never heard of anything crazy in that area in the several years I lived there. Most of the petty crimes occured in the rich areas in Shadowglen and usually involved theft or vandalism of property and cars not in garages.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:14 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
When I lived there here is what I saw when I lived out in Shadowglen:

- There was a knockout game going on in the neighborhood where random joggers and walkers were getting knocked out
- the dog attacked the sheriff - Sheriff shot the dog.
- A number of rattle snakes spotted where the sheriff was called to get rid of
1) Cue "Mama Said Knock You Out" in background
2) Fido's Last Stand
3) The Sheriff took the RATTLE out of those snakes!

But, that ain't cool that those things happened. Hopefully the area improves over time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: