Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 37,772 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We like a house in Pearson Place near Avery Ranch area (Austin), builder is Grand Haven. Looked at some homes in Caballo Ranch, Leander also, here builders are Lennar, M/I homes.

In Pearson Place, the house of 3400 SQ.Ft cost is around 570K and in Caballo ranch the same sq.Ft costs 420K.

we have daughter who starts elementary school next year.
School ratings of Pearson place are Elementary - 10, Middle - 9.
School ratings of Caballo Ranch are Elementary - 8, Middle - 9.

Are there any difference between 8 to 10 school ratings?

I work in downtown, Commute wise I think Pearson Place is good as Caballo ranch is 7 miles farther from Parmer/Avery ranch blvd.

• Distance from Downtown to Pearson Place: 22 miles
• Distance from Downtown to Caballo Ranch: 25 miles
• Distance from Avery Ranch Blvd to Caballo: 5 miles
• Distance from Avery Ranch Blvd to Pearson: 1.5 miles

Rush hour traffic/future re-sale wise which community you recommend Caballo or Pearson Place?

Thanks

Last edited by bluecloud1900; 12-28-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,503,666 times
That's a heck of a commute from Caballo; but scores of people are/will be doing it! At least you have some options for going other places(Reagan, 1431, Parmer inbound); but it's almost a "You can't get there from here" location for the daily commute.

As I've mentioned in other threads, Pearson Place is fairly landlocked, even though it is only 1.25 mile to Parmer or four stop signs plus sundry other obstacles from 45 or 620(neither of which offers direct access to downtown). You are closer to work, but at a higher initial cost and recurring tax burden in Pearson Place...then the congested neighborhood streets just to get to a highway complicate the picture.

I imagine the schools will stay highly rated, given the demographics; but they will also see great changes with the crazy growth in the area. Both Sommer ES and England ES were built AFTER we moved here in '08. For those who don't know the area, on a clear day you could tiptoe and see from one to the other. They are actually on the same street!(IF you count the intersection!).

Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks for your inputs Coachrick. Elsa England ES falls under Pearson Place house, we like. I am also scared of commute from downtown to Caballo as during rush hour, it took me 1 hour from downtown to McNeil rd.

I preferred Pearson over Caballo because commute wise, pearson is nearer to downtown compared to Caballo and ESchool rating is higher than Caballo ES (10 vs 8).

still the price difference of around 130k between these two places nagging me. From your knowledge, which one do you recommend considering schools, commute, future rate increase?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2015, 03:18 PM

The prices in Caballo are a mystery to me. Two new homes are within $10K asking price, yet are 1100 sq ft apart in size! That's one heck of a lot premium...or somebody spec'd gold finishes

On the surface, I'd be hard pressed to spend an extra $150K in Pearson and expect to get it back in the short to mid-term. The extra tax burden will also haunt you. On the other hand, neither location is a cakewalk into downtown Austin. At the rate things are growing now, tens of thousands of homes will flank Ronald Reagan Parkway in another decade and traffic won't get any better because of that. Pearson Place is squeezed into a sliver of land; but it's hardly the end of development on 'this' side of Brushy Creek. I can't imagine a re-sale price significantly higher than the current prices, given the amount of land still to be developed along 620 and Parmer...IF that ever happens.

Things that might tip the scales for me would be the relative bargain/sq ft of Caballo Ranch, the potential for ultra energy efficiency in a Caballo home(would have to shop carefully among the builders), the lower tax burden ongoing with the lower appraised price(tax rates look to be 2.7% at both locations; but I've seen 2.4 for one listing in Pearson...2014). HOA fees are actually higher in Caballo by a smidge, if the listings are correct...$800/yr in Caballo vs $480 in Pearson.

The commute will NOT be good, no matter which location. The schools will be...although the sheer numbers of new homes north of 1431 would suggest more changes in the near future...can't imagine any lousy schools will be in the area...either area.

Wow...good luck!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
The closer into town, the more buyer pool you'll have in the future. The further out you go, the smaller buyer pool as there will always be less people willing to drive so far into town.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The closer into town, the more buyer pool you'll have in the future. The further out you go, the smaller buyer pool as there will always be less people willing to drive so far into town.
I thought "y'all" say, "It only takes ONE buyer"

Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I thought "y'all" say, "It only takes ONE buyer"
Yes, but it takes multiple buyers to create a demand and "better" pricing... Pricing is always higher when the demand is higher. Less buyers, lesser price.

And I'm a Realist. I don't cherry-coat things and say what my clients want me to say. I say what needs to be said so they have the un-rose-colored-glasses look at information.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes, but it takes multiple buyers to create a demand and "better" pricing... Pricing is always higher when the demand is higher. Less buyers, lesser price.

And I'm a Realist. I don't cherry-coat things and say what my clients want me to say. I say what needs to be said so they have the un-rose-colored-glasses look at information.
Yes, but while the relationships are direct, they aren't absolute(nor linear, in most cases). Scores and scores of folks are moving 'farther from town'; many just for that reason...it's farther from the congestion, traffic, noise, politics, etc, etc. Does that mean someone will always be clamoring for a home in Caballo Ranch at a high price in the future...maybe yes, maybe no.

We can be fairly certain the 'pool' of buyers thins as one moves away from the main event(in this case, downtown Austin); but SOMEbody is buying all those homes along Ronald Reagan...MANY of them much farther out. If the growth continues, likely the demand will follow. Many of 'us' don't want to live 'close in'...many only go 'close in' once a month...or once a quarter.

Naturally, during a downturn, peripheral areas will suffer...I reckon 'they' said that about Avery Ranch 10 years ago

Of course, there's a half-dozen folks who would rather NOT be in Austin proper...and those who choose WilCo over Travis Co. for various reasons.

And there are those folks who need quicker access to areas north of the city(even though OP will commute into central/downtown Austin, not everybody does...me..cough, cough).

Different strokes...as they say

Old 12-28-2015, 09:45 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,562,594 times
Pearson Place would be worth the extra money to me easily if those are the only two choices. Anything North of 1431 will extend your commute greatly and traffic is only getting worse. It's definitely worth the price premium and I've lived within a few miles of both those areas for the past 9 years.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecloud1900 View Post
Hi All,

In Pearson Place, the house of 3400 SQ.Ft cost is around 570K (Base price + upgrades + Premium) and in Caballo ranch the same sq.Ft costs 420K.

In Pearson Place, the house of 3400 SQ.Ft base price is 490K and in Caballo ranch the same sq.Ft base price is 420K. In Pearson place, builder added upgrades plus premium which totals to 570K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin