Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times

Advertisements

Since it is legal now in texas...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,537,346 times
Saw at least 10 folks at lunch at a local BBQ restaurant. Some had on jackets owing to the temps outside; but it was easy to tell they were not trying to 'conceal' . There was no bloodshed and nobody fainted. The WilCo deputy hardly gave them a second glance. Pretty good ribs

Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM

15,265 posts, read 35,607,905 times
Back in HS, everyone was pretty much 'open carrying' in the gun rack in the back window of their pickup. Ofc, it was generally a shotgun and a 22, but it was also in HS parking lot.

As for pistols? Nope pretty much stayed home all day and watched football....

Old 01-02-2016, 12:11 AM

6 posts, read 6,675 times
Who cares? Yeah, I know, you do, apparently. People will open carry, people will conceal carry, people will not carry. Personally, I think open carry is goofy: Why would anyone open carry and advertise that he/she needs to be taken down in a surprise attack if someone wants what he/she has?

Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,045,769 times
I don't think we'll see much open carry. Mainly because, if the true reason is protection of self or others in public, it reduces the tactical advantage of being armed by announcing that you are so.

From a personal standpoint, if I see anyone practicing open carry, my amateur psychological analysis is that they are "compensating" for self perceived shortcomings through their showboat "peacocking" display. I will not feel "safer". I will automatically assume the individual is unstable to at least to some degree, having never worked through Daddy approval issues, or whatever, and I will go the other way. Even if it means leaving the establishment.

I have no problem with concealed carry.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't think we'll see much open carry. Mainly because, if the true reason is protection of self or others in public, it reduces the tactical advantage of being armed by announcing that you are so.

From a personal standpoint, if I see anyone practicing open carry, my amateur psychological analysis is that they are "compensating" for self perceived shortcomings through their showboat "peacocking" display. I will not feel "safer". I will automatically assume the individual is unstable to at least to some degree, having never worked through Daddy approval issues, or whatever, and I will go the other way. Even if it means leaving the establishment.

I have no problem with concealed carry.
Ive been reading about it a bit because Im interested in the whole constitution debate. One interesting thing that comes out is that many people who have CHLs dont actually carry. They dont carry because it is uncomfortable to carry a gun in your waistband (concealed). It might be that those people might be willing to open carry because it is a lot more comfortable.

Im also interested in big policy and the predictions that each side makes. The anti gun people are predicting blood in the streets, the pro gun people are predicting a non event. Many businesses are posting 30.06 signs in addition to 30.07 signs so the pro gun people are upset because many places they used to be able to conceal carry, they now cannot.

The vast majority of people that conceal carry (in polls) say they wont open carry. CHLs are 2-3% of the population, probably only about 1/2 actually carry. Im not sure I will ever see an open carry in austin.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,184,792 times
I open carried yesterday. Took a walk to the store, bought a half gallon of milk, forgot my bag. -Go ahead, make my day.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Ive been reading about it a bit because Im interested in the whole constitution debate. One interesting thing that comes out is that many people who have CHLs dont actually carry. They dont carry because it is uncomfortable to carry a gun in your waistband (concealed). It might be that those people might be willing to open carry because it is a lot more comfortable.

Im also interested in big policy and the predictions that each side makes. The anti gun people are predicting blood in the streets, the pro gun people are predicting a non event. Many businesses are posting 30.06 signs in addition to 30.07 signs so the pro gun people are upset because many places they used to be able to conceal carry, they now cannot.

The vast majority of people that conceal carry (in polls) say they wont open carry. CHLs are 2-3% of the population, probably only about 1/2 actually carry. Im not sure I will ever see an open carry in austin.
Not so sure there is a significant increase in 30.06 signage recently. Plenty of places are allowing concealed carry but don't want open carry in their businesses. I have no problem with that. Of course, the 30.07 signs were put up in the last couple of weeks, so they are more noticeable.

I'd be interested in hearing about any local businesses who decided to post 30.06 at the same time they posted 30.07. That's a big jump.

Maybe I spend too much time at GT Distributors and 'my' local indoor gun range. I see open carry all the time

Old 01-02-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

Seems like Texas CHLs were pushing 800,000 a couple of years ago and has been going gangbusters since(especially the last 6 months). That puts the percentage of the adult population with a carry license at maybe double your figures(or more). Still, not a huge number of folks; but I'm pretty sure you will see open carry at Rudy's NW Austin next Friday...early lunch. Won't be all that noticeable since plenty of LEOs and plainclothes detective types eat there already.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,184,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Seems like Texas CHLs were pushing 800,000 a couple of years ago and has been going gangbusters since(especially the last 6 months). That puts the percentage of the adult population with a carry license at maybe double your figures(or more). Still, not a huge number of folks; but I'm pretty sure you will see open carry at Rudy's NW Austin next Friday...early lunch. Won't be all that noticeable since plenty of LEOs and plainclothes detective types eat there already.
Man, that's TWO bad choices, right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin