Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
If your budget is that high I would try to come in a little closer, like brushy creek or something. I know you said small town feel, but Im not 100% sure what that means. ranches at Brushy creek have a lot of places with large lots, but might not have the small town feel.

The issue with north of round rock is that if he switches jobs in the area, he might end up needing to commute more central.

Lots of people who work at dell live in cedar park/leander for example.

If you are set on what you described you can get something really nice in georgetown
Ranches @ Brushy Creek, from what we've seen when we were homesearching earlier last year, didn't have large (1/2 acre or more) lots and reminded me of your typical masterplanned subdivision. This isn't a knock against it as the area is nice, but I'm not sure that is what she has in mind. She wanted a character home on a larger plot of land, not the neighbor on top of neighbor thing. Even a third of an acre wasn't big enough for us, I'm afraid. If Dell is indeed where he will be working, I don't see why he'd need to commute to either Leander or Cedar Park when there are good options not far from his job.

Another home in RR. Lot size half acre, though. 20 years old, custom built by Tom Pitt. I know that you aren't buying now, but just showing your pictorially your options in Round Rock proper. I love Georgetown too, especially the Town Square area, but the drive to Austin wasn't agreeable to my husband so we compromised by getting a "character house" (albeit it's built in 1989 not 1889) in central east Round Rock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Half acre and larger lots in that price range are going to be easy to find in Georgetown. In Old Town (right around downtown) the lots tend to be smaller. However, there's several subdivisions, old and newer, that would fit the bill. Depending on where work is in Round Rock, there's several ways to get into town from there.

There are, as said, a few areas that have larger lots in Round Rock itself, and there is a small (two blocks of one street) downtown. I drove through there recently and it was pretty torn up with road construction, but when it's not it's a nice place.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree. Where in Round Rock? (RR runs 15-20 miles east west)
Not really. At it's very widest, city limits run less than 10 miles E/W. Even including ETJ only gets you to about 12.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ranches @ Brushy Creek, from what we've seen when we were homesearching earlier last year, didn't have large (1/2 acre or more) lots and reminded me of your typical masterplanned subdivision. This isn't a knock against it as the area is nice, but I'm not sure that is what she has in mind. She wanted a character home on a larger plot of land, not the neighbor on top of neighbor thing. Even a third of an acre wasn't big enough for us, I'm afraid. If Dell is indeed where he will be working, I don't see why he'd need to commute to either Leander or Cedar Park when there are good options not far from his job.

Another home in RR. Lot size half acre, though. 20 years old, custom built by Tom Pitt. I know that you aren't buying now, but just showing your pictorially your options in Round Rock proper. I love Georgetown too, especially the Town Square area, but the drive to Austin wasn't agreeable to my husband so we compromised by getting a "character house" (albeit it's built in 1989 not 1889) in central east Round Rock.

I was actually thinking of tonkawa springs, but probably should have actually looked it up. Thats what I get for not fact checking. There is one house on great oaks drive, 2 acres 375K

The reason why cedar park/leander is because the 45 toll makes it extremely fast to get to dell, but if you later get a job in town , you have access to mopac and 183 vs being force down i35 if you go too far east.

Last edited by Austin97; 01-06-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Not really. At it's very widest, city limits run less than 10 miles E/W. Even including ETJ only gets you to about 12.
OK, never mind.

OP, Go ahead and buy something 10 miles NW of the western tip of RR. (even if your job is in East RR) or vice versa.

The urbanites from CD Austin are assuring you that traveling from one side of the northern Austin metro to the other side of the northern Austin metro is easy peasy.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
I was actually thinking of tonkawa springs, but probably should have actually looked it up. Thats what I get for not fact checking.
Ah, ok. Actually Tonkawa is a good suggestion. I would suggest Plantation too...

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM

416 posts, read 588,418 times
If you're talking about new builds, then you want Georgetown. To the east of 35, it has a nice old downtown with all sorts of little businesses and the usual neighborhoods. But five miles or so to the west of I-35, you can get an acre with a decent sized semi-custom/custom house for less than $600k. That's what we're doing. It's just far enough away without having to be so rural, yet going to the store doesn't require a battle plan. The areas I'm talking about are the upper side of Williams Dr above Sun City, along 3405, and perhaps even down along 29. You have to come scout before you move to see if it's what you want.

If you want something more rural, Liberty Hill is opening up. Lovely farm community, but the potential of a commute from hell for your husband if it builds up like everything else out here.

Everything along Reagan Parkway (Cedar Park/Leander/Georgetown) has been jacked to the hilt - our house, same builder, similar lot in Reagan's Overlook is now $60k+ more on the base price just to start.

Come visit before you move; and when/if you do move, rent first so you can get an idea of what you really want.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
And a little farther north is Waco...shining star of "Fixer Upper". Chip and Joanne will fix you right up!!

HGTV's Fixer Upper With Chip and Joanna Gaines | HGTV

Six hunnerd thousand bucks will go a LONG way!!!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
I was actually thinking of tonkawa springs, but probably should have actually looked it up. Thats what I get for not fact checking. There is one house on great oaks drive, 2 acres 375K

The reason why cedar park/leander is because the 45 toll makes it extremely fast to get to dell, but if you later get a job in town , you have access to mopac and 183 vs being force down i35 if you go too far east.
I was also going to suggest Tonkawa Springs, or the older part of Brushy Creek North.

West of Georgetown & next to Sun City is Woodland Park - most of the lots there are about an acre. My brother loves living there.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM

416 posts, read 588,418 times
That's where we're going, ScoPro. I'm excited... about six weeks to go to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin