Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
No. Not at all. Nothing is impressive about the landscape. I came to Austin from Colorado.
Agreed. I think the lack of tall trees doesn't help much either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 03:46 PM

416 posts, read 588,644 times
I've never lived anywhere without mountains until we moved here, but I think the Hill Country and surrounds are really quite beautiful. I really enjoy them.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Grew up in Texas, and the hill country is okay. If you're coming from Dallas or Houston, it's scenic. It's a good place to visit, but a very inconvenient place to live.

I like driving out to state parks like Enchanted Rock for a change of pace from Austin, but one gets adjusted to the scenery, and the shine wears off rather quickly. I've actually looked at buying land out that way, like Lakeway, Spicewood, etc. but in the end the negatives outweighed the positives.

Sure you're getting scenery, but the soil is worse, the trees are shorter, there's cedars everywhere, rattlers and scorpions are more prevalent, it's drier, you're on well water that can dry up, utiltiies are higher, building costs more, gas/groceries are more, the drive to get anywhere is longer.

Hill Country = Inland Empire
+1
I ran into this a few years ago when looking for a few acres to purchase near San Marcos, off Hilliard Rd. Pretty area, but a lot of negatives when trying to actually settle there. And you can forget about trying to dig down for a pool.

The Hill Country has a beauty of its own, and I've found that it takes a little while to grow on you. When some of my family first came out to visit me(from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts in California), I took them for some sight seeing. About 10 miles from Fredricksburg, my Dad asks me "So how far is it to this 'hill country' anyway?".

Its all relative...

Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
+1
I ran into this a few years ago when looking for a few acres to purchase near San Marcos, off Hilliard Rd. Pretty area, but a lot of negatives when trying to actually settle there. And you can forget about trying to dig down for a pool.

The Hill Country has a beauty of its own, and I've found that it takes a little while to grow on you. When some of my family first came out to visit me(from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts in California), I took them for some sight seeing. About 10 miles from Fredricksburg, my Dad asks me "So how far is it to this 'hill country' anyway?".

Its all relative...
^^^^

Your dad made me laugh!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:15 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
It's completely different. I find beauty in most places I have visited or lived.

Try Perdenales falls, hike up to Mt. bonnell, hike enchanted Rock, and lots of other beautiful spots around Austin and the Hill Country.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

There are lots of beautiful lakes and rivers that create stunning areas.

http://austinadventureteam.com/2010/...wimming-holes/

If you want a landscape similar to Colorado you will be disappointed. Just like I would be disappointed if I wanted warm/hot Houston weather and tropical landscape if I moved to Colorado. (My hibiscus and ginger are still blooming in the dead of winter here. :-)

Last edited by Meyerland; 01-15-2016 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
+1

Its all relative...
I had to laugh because the first time I drove through the Hill Country, I said the exact same thing.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 PM

109 posts, read 292,346 times
After growing up in CO and living in NH that would be a no. We joke at the trees here being big bushes instead.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 AM

326 posts, read 685,158 times
It's funny to me that this question is being asked right now. I actually just got back from vacation in CA. It was my first time visiting (LA and San Diego), and I was very impressed! I was expecting the hills of LA to be similar to Austin's. Boy was I wrong!! LA is surrounded by tall, majestic mountains, and I personally feel that the infrastructure of the city suits the surrounding landscape well. I never thought I would say this, but kudos to CA!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
No. We have lived in Colorado and Washington State and my husband misses the mountains a lot.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 PM

45 posts, read 60,118 times
After living in the PacNW and California, as well as spending time in NM and Colorado I do miss big mountains.

Hill country is pretty and has a charm to it, at least it's a short drive from Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin