Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM

195 posts, read 216,781 times

Advertisements

You may be able to get a small duplex in S. Austin in the $1300 price range, but it will likely be a basic non-upgraded older duplex. Kyle isn't that inexpensive anymore. figure $1400 or more.
It's all about Supply and Demand, Austin is booming, there are more people moving here than there are available homes, as a result, the cost of housing goes up and the qualifications required to rent are tough.

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Kyle is becoming increasingly expensive. We just rented out our 3-2 home for a steal of a deal at 1300/mo. Only because the tenants are a young family from our church and we want to help them get on their feet. Our neighbors rent out their smaller home for 1500, and are going to raise the price because they are using a property management company. My brother lives nearby and handles emergency or minor handywork stuff.

The commute times are getting bad during rush hours, due to traffic getting onto the frontage road for 35. It used to take my wife 45 minutes to get to St. Edwards area if she left before 7am. After that, it can be up to an hour.

And to think I used to b#$ch about paying 1000/mo and driving 25 min. in traffic back in 2001. When we lived in Milwood!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
play around with google maps, you can put in day and time departures (like Monday 8 am) and see what the expected commute time would be, note that the range given is likely to be optimistic. Kyle to the Texas School of the Deaf on a Tuesday, leaving at 8 am is likely to be a 50 minute commute. Even though Buda is about 6 miles closer to Austin, the commute is virtual the same in the morning, around 50-55 minutes, because traffic will massively slow down from Stasseney on in. And it could be another 20 minutes to get to UT.
I think I'd consider renting a 2/1 apartment in South Central Austin before I'd want to do that commute on IH35. It is one of the worst in town. Apartments are available at lower costs. PadMapper Apartment Search is a good way to see what is available in apartment rentals.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think I'd consider renting a 2/1 apartment in South Central Austin before I'd want to do that commute on IH35. It is one of the worst in town. Apartments are available at lower costs. PadMapper Apartment Search is a good way to see what is available in apartment rentals.
I agree. Having less commute and closer to fun stuff in Austin should probably be the top priorities after budget.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
How come Austin is so expensive? I feel sorry for graduate students who moved to the area for school without having a job lined up.

Are all of Texas big cities the same way?
You ask how it's so expensive, and most of us ask how you could possibly choose to live somewhere without researching it first to know what you can and can't get. If you truly want to stay under $1000, you'll need to settle for an older apartment without many amenities. There is no sugar-coating our market.

And yes, many of the big cities are like this. It's where the jobs are so people are flocking there. You can get less expensive in San Antonio and parts of Houston.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Quote:
If I am willing to live farther out for affordable rentals like Kyle/Buda, how long will my commute be? It is about 16 miles up I-35 to most of South Austin and UT Campus Area.

I prefer not to live more than 20 miles away from Austin.
That commute in that short amount of time will be a no go, because traffic here in Austin is ALOT worse than in Little Rock. A 10 mile commute will end up like an hr. I personally would find a place real close to where your job will be located so you won't have to suffer through that congestion.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Kyle is no longer inexpensive. Add to that the traffic on IH 35 I wouldn't move to Kyle and work in Austin. Just my opinion.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 AM

525 posts, read 719,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

This sounds like a great idea living in the middle of Austin close to everything without having to use I-35.

Could you provide me the zip code for South Central Austin?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:21 AM

164 posts, read 329,957 times
Quote:
This sounds like a great idea living in the middle of Austin close to everything without having to use I-35.

Could you provide me the zip code for South Central Austin?
Check out 78745, 78748, 78749

Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Check out the zip code map here //www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin