Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:02 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMfan View Post
No, you're thinking of the KB Vista Point development, but yes, those will have some nice views and character. Easton park is just east of MFP and flat.

OP, here are some threads that have some older, but still interesting posts about the area. I've not been over to Addison, but live next to Easton. I prefer a "used" home for the reasons mentioned above but if I had to choose one it would probably be Easton partially due to all the upcoming parkland developments in the area, but that's a personal choice.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ast-worth.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...on-austin.html

I actually get the best of both worlds i'm thinking if I choose Addison. The appreciation from Easton Park and Vista Point because they'll use those comps for my neighborhood, I get McKinney park right there too and closer to East Austin via 6 minutes down 183.

Easton Park has low income housing in there so I don't want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
It is a good investment in the sense that the 30 year mortgage is the best and most accessible hedge against inflation ever developed for the ordinary person.

But a production built home in a newly developed location with lots of empty land around it? Not the best vehicle for appreciation. Buy it because you like it and have a place to live.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM

240 posts, read 272,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Easton Park is more expensive and not so convenient to the highways. Plus they're going to build 600 low income housing throughout the 5000 homes. I'd prefer Addison because its in a better situated area and closer in to town on the East side or downtown where I want to be compared to Easton's 35 south and not so desired section of 35
Yeah, it just doesn't seem like there is anything around Addison though other than the highway. Is there a grocery store near there? Convenient shopping seems like it would be an issue. That's just my two cents though.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I wouldn't live anywhere that doesn't have adequate retail or any sort of amenities. Yeah, ya gotta start somewhere, but the schools in that area are abysmal, retail is lacking, the area isn't particularly picturesque... no thanks.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere that doesn't have adequate retail or any sort of amenities. Yeah, ya gotta start somewhere, but the schools in that area are abysmal, retail is lacking, the area isn't particularly picturesque... no thanks.
Disagree, the area has McKinney Falls SP which I'd say is one of the prettiest places in Austin, and the Onion Creek metro park - which stands to expand as the city buys out floodplain properties - has a lovely tree canopy and nice quiet trails along & around Onion Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm thinking of building a home in the Addison community off 183 South. Its with a builder called Pacesetter Homes. My apt community gives me 20% of my annual rent towards the credit of the home. So far I have $9500 towards the upgrades if I choose to build from my apt community.
The Addison community is 6 minutes to East Austin and 15 minutes to North Central Austin by the Triangle where I currently live. I know because I keep timing it.

My friend lives there now and I wanted to know everyone's thought's on the community and if its a smart investment to build there. My model is one of two. The first is about 1450 sq ft at $230k and the 2nd is 1800 sq ft for $240k?

I think i'm going to do it and couldn't go wrong as an investment for the next 3 years so what's your opinions?
We bought a house in 78744 1 year+ ago, it was a resale near Addison but in a different neighborhood that is still building out. Our rationale was price point, especially at a similar distance from downtown (where we both work) as Far West, Anderson Lane to the north and Mopac/Wm Cannon area to the s/sw. The approach from the southeast is also mostly headache-free, comparatively.

We personally like the ethnic diversity of our neighborhood and family feel. It is very much an area in transition as is much of Austin in that regard. Schools weren't a factor as we don't have kids, but they will be an issue when we do down the road. We plan to live in & keep the home longer term, and did not buy as a short term investment but, like someone said, because we like the home and neighborhood and want to live and grow our fam here.

We looked at Addison, and besides not loving the aesthetic appeal of the modern-type homes being built there which is subjective, we didn't love that it has just one point of entry/exit, 183, which can have hellish traffic. Is is true that retail & commercial development is lacking in the area, but I'm hoping that as residential grows (which it is), commercial will eventually follow, albeit slowly. Currently my closest grocery is ~4 miles away at the HEB on Riverside.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 AM

279 posts, read 1,163,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Disagree, the area has McKinney Falls SP which I'd say is one of the prettiest places in Austin, and the Onion Creek metro park - which stands to expand as the city buys out floodplain properties - has a lovely tree canopy and nice quiet trails along & around Onion Creek.

We bought a house in 78744 1 year+ ago, it was a resale near Addison but in a different neighborhood that is still building out. Our rationale was price point, especially at a similar distance from downtown (where we both work) as Far West, Anderson Lane to the north and Mopac/Wm Cannon area to the s/sw. The approach from the southeast is also mostly headache-free, comparatively.

We personally like the ethnic diversity of our neighborhood and family feel. It is very much an area in transition as is much of Austin in that regard. Schools weren't a factor as we don't have kids, but they will be an issue when we do down the road. We plan to live in & keep the home longer term, and did not buy as a short term investment but, like someone said, because we like the home and neighborhood and want to live and grow our fam here.

We looked at Addison, and besides not loving the aesthetic appeal of the modern-type homes being built there which is subjective, we didn't love that it has just one point of entry/exit, 183, which can have hellish traffic. Is is true that retail & commercial development is lacking in the area, but I'm hoping that as residential grows (which it is), commercial will eventually follow, albeit slowly. Currently my closest grocery is ~4 miles away at the HEB on Riverside.

Thank you very much for this information. It helped me alot with my decision. I'm going to build at Addison and live there for the years to come. I like the feel and location and of course the price point. I know my investment will appreciate greatly and on top of loving where I live that is just a bonus. I also like the fact that down 183 to East Austin and one of my favorite restaurants "Juan in Million" just 6 miles to to East Austin and 10 minutes door to door.

I do wish some more shopping and an HEB opens soon as my closet will be the one off in South Park Meadows.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM

122 posts, read 95,105 times
Hello all -

Sorry to bump this thread but since I just moved into the Addison community I thought I would add a couple of points. First the nearest supermarket is super close on 812. It is called JD Supermarket, yes it is "ethnic" but still a great place. The in store diner is good, they have great fresh produce and a large meat section. Ok maybe you will not find some of your favorite brands there but still I really like it and I would rather support them than the HEB Super on Riverside. Also not as close but about a 10 minute drive down Stassney at 35 is a Fiesta Mart and Lowes and jsut about anything else you would need. I grew up in VT and I am floored when people say a 15 minute drive to shopping is "too much". How about having to drive 45 minutes lol.

Yes there is some airplane noise but only when they change their pattern to approach or depart from the west which is not that often and then the rest of Austin hears them as well.

So far I have not noticed any issues with the only entry/exit being 183 but perhaps I don't leave or arrive at peak times. The third phase will add an entry/exit on DG Collins road.

In Easton Park the taxes will be about 1% higher due to the MUD that they formed to put in all the sewers etc. The houses will also be more expensive. Since both communities are being built by Brookfield the rumor is that they are delaying phase 3 in Addison until Easton is further along. So right now Addison phase one and two are almost fully built out so the construction should be done soon. I happen to like the fact that there are multiple styles of housing in the community. It makes for a nice diversity in the development.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:35 PM

240 posts, read 272,002 times
I did see they were working on this too:

Mixed-use project proposed for 390 acres near Austin airport | www.mystatesman.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin