Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:59 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
St. Francis School, Paragon Prep are both north central and secular.

If you want something similar to Regents (Christian/Classical) then Brentwood Christian or Hill Country Christian. Hyde Park Baptist high school is north. Holy Family and St. Theresa are both Catholic (sub for St. Gabriels and less expensive).
Thanks. Maybe its because my kids arent old enough and not used to school drop offs :-) Just mapped my house to St Francis and its about 17 miles.. From the advice folks here give about commute, that seems crazy far durimg rush hour, is it?
Also St Andrew's and St Stephen's are often mentioned here as really the best of the best here in Austin... not even sure what that means.. Are we talking like Exeter and Andover etc kind of schools? Are they the only ones like that here in town if someone were so inclined? Just curious.. Perhaps public school will turn out to be great for us.. who knows..

Also the parochial that you mentioned, what is the typical quality assuming you know anyone attending those schools. Holy Family is literally down the road from us in Avery Ranch as well as Hill Country a few miles down on 620..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM

318 posts, read 670,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Thanks. Maybe its because my kids arent old enough and not used to school drop offs :-) Just mapped my house to St Francis and its about 17 miles.. From the advice folks here give about commute, that seems crazy far durimg rush hour, is it?
Also St Andrew's and St Stephen's are often mentioned here as really the best of the best here in Austin... not even sure what that means.. Are we talking like Exeter and Andover etc kind of schools? Are they the only ones like that here in town if someone were so inclined? Just curious.. Perhaps public school will turn out to be great for us.. who knows..

Also the parochial that you mentioned, what is the typical quality assuming you know anyone attending those schools. Holy Family is literally down the road from us in Avery Ranch as well as Hill Country a few miles down on 620..
Ask about HF on the AROA FB page. I've known several of kids in AR who go there as well as Summit Christian Academy, Round Rock Christian Academy, and Hill Country Christian School.

My youngest spent 2 years at Rutledge before going on to Stiles. I wasn't very impressed, but I didn't think it was bad.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post

I do know Phillips Exeter grads who live in Austin and who send their kids to St. Andrews. St. Andrews isn't exactly comparable though. St. Andrews is a day school and has a shorter history, Austin-flavor, and is more laid back. But yes, SAS also has small classes, lots of discussion and hand-ons, in depth learning, no standardized tests to take, and a smaller environment and community all around.

I've heard it said that public schools provide a good-to-great education for about two-thirds of kids. And that seems about right. Private schools by and large are working to educate kids who would not be a good fit in public schools. St. Stephen's for example was founded as day and boarding school in the 1940s, in part to educate the very smart kids of West Texas -- and it still does. Imagine that you are the smartest 8th grader in Van Horne, Texas, or Alpine. Maybe you have already taken half the math classes offered in your high school in middle school. Maybe you are already getting bullied for being smart or different. Those kids go to St. Stephen's and thrive.

A very small number of kids in Austin are going to private schools because of "prestige" or get into an Ivy someday. Most are there in part because they "fit" there better, they can learn there better. And if that is one of your kids . . . well parents drive a lot further than 17 miles for that.

You really need to visit and talk to current parents to get a read on Holy Family and Hill Country. I have been to both campuses, interacted with kids and families, I would say that both are solid schools but can't offer any first-hand information about academics.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I do know Phillips Exeter grads who live in Austin and who send their kids to St. Andrews. St. Andrews isn't exactly comparable though. St. Andrews is a day school and has a shorter history, Austin-flavor, and is more laid back. But yes, SAS also has small classes, lots of discussion and hand-ons, in depth learning, no standardized tests to take, and a smaller environment and community all around.

I've heard it said that public schools provide a good-to-great education for about two-thirds of kids. And that seems about right. Private schools by and large are working to educate kids who would not be a good fit in public schools. St. Stephen's for example was founded as day and boarding school in the 1940s, in part to educate the very smart kids of West Texas -- and it still does. Imagine that you are the smartest 8th grader in Van Horne, Texas, or Alpine. Maybe you have already taken half the math classes offered in your high school in middle school. Maybe you are already getting bullied for being smart or different. Those kids go to St. Stephen's and thrive.

A very small number of kids in Austin are going to private schools because of "prestige" or get into an Ivy someday. Most are there in part because they "fit" there better, they can learn there better. And if that is one of your kids . . . well parents drive a lot further than 17 miles for that.

You really need to visit and talk to current parents to get a read on Holy Family and Hill Country. I have been to both campuses, interacted with kids and families, I would say that both are solid schools but can't offer any first-hand information about academics.
Centralaustinite, you are a rockstar. Merci beaucoup!!!

Will totally investigate further including visits once this goes beyond just thinking... Right now, my twins are doing okay in K but they are just so different that DH and I have started to think that one may be better suited for public than her sister. We really like our school but my hypothesis (still being formed, i have to say) is that its easier for the shy, quiet kids who dont make any waves, dont get in trouble and who are not at the either end of "smarts" continuum can easily fall through the cracks and no one would notice. There are 21 kids in each of my kid's K class. 1 of them thrives in this chaos and is queen bee and the other not so much.. so got us thinking.. But then, still early days, for her to find her "tribe"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin