Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 33,561 times

Advertisements

Hello-we are relocating this summer, and I've been doing a lot of research on high schools for my oldest.
It's overwhelming and exciting at the same time. Noticing we have missed the deadline for a few of the good ones, but still plenty of great looking ones in various areas. What I don't understand is coming from another state, and not knowing quite yet where we will live, how do I apply to these charters, and districts without a local address? Obviously we have never done this before. Thank You for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
What specifically are you looking at?

You have automatic admission at whatever public school you are zoned to but you cannot enroll until you are residing in the district.

I think it is the same with charters, they are public schools and serve the public of central Texas, you have to have an address (lease or mortgage to prove it) in order to enroll. Charters can have additional requirements and enrollment procedures, some have deadlines, most have some sort of rolling application too.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM

I guess the issue is if we don't have an address yet, (we will in the summer) how can we have a good chance at applying for these competitor charters, or or tradional public schools?
Won't they disregard our app because out of state?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheika View Post
I guess the issue is if we don't have an address yet, (we will in the summer) how can we have a good chance at applying for these competitor charters, or or tradional public schools?
Charter schools are like public schools in the way that they are for Texas residents only. You must be a Texas resident to apply and be considered for admission. There is no way around that.

Also, you're looking at a very broad range of remoter areas to live. There's no way you should apply to a school before you have your home address nailed down anyway. The chances of your having a soul crushing commute would be very high.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
Whenever you have an address, my understanding is that your child is guaranteed a place in your assigned public school, it's never too late. Not sure about the charter schools but whichever options, you need to have a Texas address. No way around it

Old 02-26-2016, 01:58 PM

I understand all this, so basically I can't apply to anything till I have a physical address? I know we are guaranteed a spot in my neighborhood school once we find it, but what that school doesn't fit for us, it would be way to late to apply to a charter in the summer. They are taking apps and formulating wait lists now in spring. Guess we just are stuck?
Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
I'd contact the Charters you are considering.
We moved here from out of state and while my daughter was not formally enrolled until we arrived, we had laid all the ground work, however, she did go into a public school. We were in a charter school in our former state and the transition to public was a bit of an adjustment. The schools here overall were all good so we did not consider a charter for high school. Even in our former state we didn't think our DD would have stayed in the charter once she got to high school.

I'd also do your homework on the high schools in areas you are considering then focus your house hunt in their zones.
Beware of listings and real estate agents telling you what the zone is, we found the listings were wrong the majority of the time and our agent was wrong about 50% of the time. Use the school specific maps when house shopping.

Good luck and happy relocation!

Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
I understand all this, so basically I can't apply to anything till I have a physical address? I know we are guaranteed a spot in my neighborhood school once we find it, but what that school doesn't fit for us, it would be way to late to apply to a charter in the summer. They are taking apps and formulating wait lists now in spring. Guess we just are stuck?
Thanks!!
It depends on the charter school. As mentioned, you have been looking at living in a very wide spread area, use the schools to help you narrow down where to live. Same with charters, there aren't nearly as many charter school in some of the far-flung parts of greater Austin, you should check with each specific charter you are interested as to their policies, many have rolling admissions. Plus, no charter provides transportation, so you really need to figure out where you plan live first.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 PM

thanks!! I realize traffic is a big thing-
we both work from home, so I was prepared to drive her where needed.
we are flexible.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 PM

what about transfers? does any of that occur? like if we bought a house in one district, would we be able to apply to a school outside our district?
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin