Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,595 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Austin from Chicago with our two young boys. He has a job offer in North Austin near Round Rock and I would be looking for a job in marketing once we move down.

What are some neighborhoods we should check out on our house hunting trip that wouldn't be too horrible of a commute (ideally 30 min or less) to Round Rock? We are looking for a 4 bedroom house in a neighborhood with other young kids for 500-$700k. We definitely want a large yard (flat) and ideally a view as well. Proximity to parks and outdoorsy stuff is important, as well as golf for my husband. Good schools is also very important but it seems like Austin fares pretty well in that area.

Coming from Chicago, it would be great to find a neighborhood that is somewhat walkable to a coffee shop, restaurants, farmers market, etc. but we know that may be one thing we will have to give up.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Great Hills, Far West, Balcones, Highland Park. All north or northwest of 45th and Mopac, which is key for a commute to RR.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
The places that have golf courses are not the same places that are walkable. There's a bunch of stuff that hits the right notes by the great hills country club and balcones country club (good schools, big houses in your price range) but most of that area has little walkability. A lot of the more walkable areas have fewer kids in them.

What are the cross streets of the job? North Austin and Round Rock aren't the same thing at all, and commuting patterns and length can vary a lot in that area.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Where's the job located? Nearby cross streets?

Ha...Mesmer beat me to it. What are the cross streets of the job? North Austin and Round Rock aren't the same thing at all, and commuting patterns and length can vary a lot in that area

You do have LOTS of options. A few thoughts:

- "flat" yards normally don't also have "views".
- Most of the areas you'll be looking at will have "good" schools.
- What will you be wanting in these good schools? (what grades are the kids in?)
- What is your definition of a "large" yard?
- Does hubby want private or public golf?
- New or Existing home?

To get all that you're looking for you'll likely have a short drive (not a walk) to restaurants/farmers markets etc. (Except maybe NW Hills)

Where's the job located?

Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 PM

The cross streets for his job are MoPac and Howard. You're right, flat yard and views are contradictory in most cases. My husband wants views but I think even backing to a green space or golf course may be sufficient.

My kids aren't in school yet (age 2.5 and 6 months) but we are planning ahead.

I'm not sure re: public or private courses. Here in Chicago private memberships can be upward of 100k so we never considered them. If they are much less in Austin maybe it's something we would look into bit I'm more of s community pool vs country club kind of person.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffy99 View Post
The cross streets for his job are MoPac and Howard. You're right, flat yard and views are contradictory in most cases. My husband wants views but I think even backing to a green space or golf course may be sufficient.

My kids aren't in school yet (age 2.5 and 6 months) but we are planning ahead.

I'm not sure re: public or private courses. Here in Chicago private memberships can be upward of 100k so we never considered them. If they are much less in Austin maybe it's something we would look into bit I'm more of s community pool vs country club kind of person.
I'd look at buying in Northwest Hills. There's some walkability if you're around the Far West/Hart area, and the schools are strong. It's also pretty close to Great Hills Country Club -- which has a challenging golf course, pool and tennis. I think you'll find the costs amazingly low compared to what you've seen in Chicago.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
how many square feet are you looking for?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 PM

We are looking for 3000+ sq ft

How is the commute from Northwest Hills to downtown in case I found a job there? Or is it better to focus my job search on the Northwest area as well?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:56 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
for 3000 sq ft northwest hills is probably out of your price range unless it is an older not updated home.

great hills might be your best bet. Not walkable though.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look at that Great Hills.

Would Steiner Ranch to MoPac/Howard be an awful commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin