Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,848,095 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me if there are any tree-lined, established neighborhoods in Austin that are safe, charming and have houses that are under $300,000? Also family-friendly is a must. Last question: what private schools are considered to be the best in terms of academics? Much thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 AM

I just checked out st. andrews and st. stephens, and both look very good, but very pricey. Any other schools that are well-regarded, but not as pricey?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,152,896 times
how much are you looking to spend on annual tuition?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 AM

I guess it all depends on the housing prices. In an ideal world, public school would be great if we lived in a neighborhood zoned for a top school, but I am guessing that the better public schools are zoned for neighborhoods that have houses that are worth more than $275k or so.

To answer your question, a reasonable tuition is under $12,000 per year. We are open to Episcopal or Lutheran, but not Fundamentalist Christian. Non-demominational also interests us. We are just in the researching stage right now, so I consider my posts to be a start in the research, Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM

147 posts, read 693,402 times
Too bad your not interested in the fundamentalist, it's a lot less expensive to teach your science straight from the bible and they pass the savings on to you.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM

675 posts, read 1,897,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Can you tell me if there are any tree-lined, established neighborhoods in Austin that are safe, charming and have houses that are under $300,000? Also family-friendly is a must. Last question: what private schools are considered to be the best in terms of academics? Much thanks.
For good, nice established neighborhoods with trees I would look Southwest, in Western Oaks, or Westcreek... or elsewhere in 78749. Also the schools that these neighborhoods feed into are considered very good. In terms of private schools, I think someone else already answered that.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
Too bad your not interested in the fundamentalist, it's a lot less expensive to teach your science straight from the bible and they pass the savings on to you.
That made me laugh

Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 PM

I just did some more research, and I found some nice-looking neighborhoods: Shady Hollow, Forest North Estates, Walnut Place, Onion Creek, Maple Run, Village Twenty and Gracywoods. There was one that stood out, I think it was Shady Hollow. Are these in the area you mentioned? We tend to like those 1970's neighborhoods. Even 1960s. As long as the homes have been renovated. Also, is there a big difference between Austin SD and Round RockSD? I was pleasantly suprised to see some lovely homes in older neighborhoods with in ground pools. Seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I think Austin is looking better and better.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,618,356 times
You might try looking in NW austin or even Cedar Park area in the Leander ISD prices in your range with very good schools. Some might say it does not have the Austin feel but it seems to me it does with the hills and trees, Lake Travis and everything else here.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

675 posts, read 1,897,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I just did some more research, and I found some nice-looking neighborhoods: Shady Hollow, Forest North Estates, Walnut Place, Onion Creek, Maple Run, Village Twenty and Gracywoods. There was one that stood out, I think it was Shady Hollow. Are these in the area you mentioned? We tend to like those 1970's neighborhoods. Even 1960s. As long as the homes have been renovated. Also, is there a big difference between Austin SD and Round RockSD? I was pleasantly suprised to see some lovely homes in older neighborhoods with in ground pools. Seems like a lot of bang for your buck. I think Austin is looking better and better.

If you like those 1970s style neighborhoods with tons of trees again I'd say look Southwest. North Austin, Northwest, and Roundrock are not Austin-y, they feel more like Dallas or Houston. Southwest is more hill country-ish, fwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin