Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 26,898 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from Denver to Austin. I don't have anything against Denver but I have lived here 15 years and would like to move to someplace different.

I lived in Houston before moving to Denver and have been all over Texas as well as Austin. Houston is way too big and too hot and humid.

I will be looking for a job as a computer programmer.

I suspect that where I will look to live will be near the jobs. I will be renting. My question is what is a good apartment area or possibly a specific apartment to live in. I would like a great place to live to meet nice people with a nice swiming pool. What would also be nice would be good neighborhood bars and restaurants to walk to or a short drive to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickka View Post
I am thinking of moving from Denver to Austin. I don't have anything against Denver but I have lived here 15 years and would like to move to someplace different.

I lived in Houston before moving to Denver and have been all over Texas as well as Austin. Houston is way too big and too hot and humid.

I will be looking for a job as a computer programmer.

I suspect that where I will look to live will be near the jobs. I will be renting. My question is what is a good apartment area or possibly a specific apartment to live in. I would like a great place to live to meet nice people with a nice swiming pool. What would also be nice would be good neighborhood bars and restaurants to walk to or a short drive to.
I'll do trading spaces w/ you?

We can swap season.

But really, why leave Denver?

By all means Austin is a great city and love the people, what is it that your tired of in Colorado?
Longer winters? Cost more expensive to live? People??

Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM

153 posts, read 620,591 times
Maybe check out the Riata apartments along 183. They have a unique community I have not seen in other apartments.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 26,898 times
Mike78613 asked me why I wanted to leave Denver. I don't ski any more after I broke my leg. The winter's here are long. I bought a Porsche but I have to own a 4 wheel drive as well to get throught the winter. I have never been able to afford to buy here, not as high as California but much more then Texas.

The fact is that no matter where you live, some people want a change after a while.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:13 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,457 times
We made the move from Denver to Austin as well. I miss the snow, but it is awesome to be able to go out in shorts/short sleeves in early February! Not to mention not having to keep a jacket in your car year round "just in case". We were there for 7 years. We chose Austin because we both had family here and in Houston so it was the best compromise.
We live S/W and love it, but If you are renting and have the flexibility to live near where you work I say GO FOR IT.
Maybe some of the new congress/first street areas? I don't know much about the residential part of it, but alot of people have fun in that area!!
a

Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
Me and my husband also went the Houston, Denver, then Austin route. We actually ended up in Hutto because my sister lives here and me being the SAHM, I watched her kids for her and this just made more sense. Otherwise, we would have picked somewhere SW or West Austin or New Braunfels.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,643 times
Totally understand that you wanted change.

We did the same. Left Colo Spgs back in 96 to Austin. Never once did regret the move, but looking ahead in my future, it just seems Colorado is calling me back. Only thing I would gamble if we were to move to CO is that we have no family there. All our family is here in Texas and Louisiana. I am actually tired of family coming to visit. I like for us to become more independent, just like my older brother did moving to Virgina.

As for the Porsche, google "Lime Creek Road", you'll have a blast cutting them corners; when I had my GSX600R is ran that whole road in about 8 min (if that was correct). I think now though that road is getting more Lexus SUV mommas and rich California residents moving on that road and living off the lake, so yea,, be careful carving the roads on Lime Creek these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin