U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 15,157,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_75 View Post
It wasn't too long ago that proximity to South Congress was a big negative. Same goes for downtown which offered very little apart from bars and clubs and was a ghost town after 5 pm. I've always considered the area around UT to be the heart of Austin, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, that is true but those days are gone, gone, gone!!

Believe me, residents now talk fondly about the days when proximity to South Congress lowered your property values instead of talking them to the stratosphere!

I live in TH and spend big chunks of my day in HP, I love them both.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,411,993 times
Quote:
It wasn't too long ago that proximity to South Congress was a big negative. Same goes for downtown which offered very little apart from bars and clubs and was a ghost town after 5 pm. I've always considered the area around UT to be the heart of Austin, but that's just my opinion.
I remember that as well. But might as well have been a different era, things are vastly different now.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I remember that as well. But might as well have been a different era, things are vastly different now.
Yes, I agree with you 100%. I was just speaking for myself based on my own history here growing up in North Central. (And, as a lurker, I know there are a ton of old Austinites on this forum)

From my point of view, because UT has always been the vibrant heart of this town, that has added a "special something" to the surrounding neighborhoods that's impossible to describe to a newcomer. But I just wanted them to know it's still there, and that it sets those neighborhoods apart from other areas of town.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,217,882 times
I like Hyde Park more and the basic reason is you don't have the Lake in between you and the town. A lot more connectivity and easy to get around.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

7,228 posts, read 15,157,559 times
Although one of the things that keeps us in TH and not in HP is easy access to the lake and trail. So nice to have it right there. It really is a tomato/tamoto sort of thing. Each area is distinct but share a similar underlying sensibility and history. AND they are now united in CoA District 9!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 5,383 times
Loved Hyde Park---the charm of the houses...the location...i would love to live over there one day!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,411,993 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you 100%. I was just speaking for myself based on my own history here growing up in North Central. (And, as a lurker, I know there are a ton of old Austinites on this forum)

From my point of view, because UT has always been the vibrant heart of this town, that has added a "special something" to the surrounding neighborhoods that's impossible to describe to a newcomer. But I just wanted them to know it's still there, and that it sets those neighborhoods apart from other areas of town.
I sort of feel Clarksville/Old West Austin is the best of the bunch because of this - very easy access to UT, CBD and to the Lake. An easy bike ride or walk to just about everything, if you can take a few hills. Also, same kind of pre-war, tight-knit neighborhood with smallish lots, connected streets, gorgeous canopy and eclectic mix of homes.

Anyway - can't go wrong with HP, TH or Clarksville, there really are no better places to be in Austin. I'd take any of those over just about every other neighborhood in town. I prefer them to even Pemberton Heights or Tarrytown or Westlake or any of those high-net worth neighborhoods. Well, maybe a place on the water along Scenic Drive wouldn't be too bad. . .

But at end of the day, I'd still rather have the proximity to downtown and vitality of the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin