Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

I dropped in to my shop today looking for a package from Amazon that was due for delivery. I got there at 3:20 and hung out in the office till about 4:00 with Tony and decided to track the package before I left. Imagine my surprise to find it had been "delivered to porch or mailbox" at 3:33. Came to find out that one of my employees had the same tracking information, but no postman had been by! I figured the packages were delivered to the wrong address so I headed over to the S Congress office, got there at 4:30 and after waiting in line was told to wait in a different line to speak to a supervisor. He pulled up the same bogus tracking info I had printed out and presented to him. He started to get a little huffy about having to leave at 5:00, but promised to look into it.

I got back to the shop about 5:15 and my stepson pointed out there was a mailman across the street. Not easy to cross South First at that time of day, but I managed to do so and not get killed. I asked the mailman about the packages and he gave me some line of crap about he had already scanned the packages as delivered because his battery was going dead and he would deliver them when he did the other side of the street. I asked for the packages and he tried to insist on bringing them to my shop. I should have told him since they showed as already delivered, they are mine and I will just take them out of your satchel.

At my home in Oak Hill my wife once came home to grab some kind of perishable food item out of the mailbox because she got an alert on her phone that it had already been delivered. Turns out that was bogus and somebody at the branch post office acknowledged they often submit tracking info in advance where it is most convenient for them, instead of when and where delivery actually takes place.

So if mail carriers have carte blanche to lie then the USPS tracking system is essentially worthless as I see it.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
I've had the USPS mess up no fewer than six packages from the 'UPS/FEdex handoff' mailing classification in the last six months.

Your local carrier is your only friend (hope you tip him around Christmas). Even then, you'll get a substitute carrier sometimes (always the source of our problems). The actual post office is useless. To get anything done you have to go to usps.gov and navigate their 'file a complaint' form, which breaks half the time, and insist on getting a call back. That will get their attention, presumably because it goes into their numbers. The last time the supervisor from our local postoffice on Blackwood avenue called me, she said 'just call me anytime there is a problem' and I pointed out that the Blackwood post office never answers their phone - ever - and she said 'well sometimes I am in meetings but I always answer it when I'm not!'

Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Can't say it's much better up here in the McNeil(Lakeline) office. The Avery Ranch FB page has a long-running discussion of missing mail/parcels, mail kiosks left open, mis-delivered mail, etc. Add to that the vultures who follow UPS, FedEx and USPS deliveries and swipe them moments after they are delivered to the door...Dang!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Yup, not perfect, but USPS works as well as any of them, for me. Here's a link to an interesting little site for PO junkies...

Current USPS Postage Rate Charts - simple tables Enjoy.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:25 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Have read about complaints from gun owners whose firearms returned from factory repairs were just left on their front porches or entryways in full view of the streets.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Have read about complaints from gun owners whose firearms returned from factory repairs were just left on their front porches or entryways in full view of the streets.
Yep...but if you pay SIG Sauer FIFTY FIVE dollars, they will make sure a signature is required...which means a trip to Howard Lane is likely necessary. Actually, SIG says that's a bargain vs the regular rate(It IS for round-trip service ). Plenty of ammo dropped at the side or front door...more next week It WOULD be nice if they would at least ring the bell.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:14 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yep...but if you pay SIG Sauer FIFTY FIVE dollars, they will make sure a signature is required...which means a trip to Howard Lane is likely necessary. Actually, SIG says that's a bargain vs the regular rate(It IS for round-trip service ). Plenty of ammo dropped at the side or front door...more next week It WOULD be nice if they would at least ring the bell.
Yep, but we're usually at home so I haven't missed any yet.

BTW - Don't know if you shoot any .38 Specials, but GT has been running a very good sale on this:

https://www.gtdist.com/products/guns...x-130gr-p.html

My brother went down there & bought a case of it last week and I traded for 3 boxes from him. (gave him 8 older boxes of .32 ACP - didn't need it since I traded off my only two .32 peashooters last year). He still has Grandpa's Colt 1903 that our Dad carried in France as a backup for his issued 1911 during The Bulge - '44-'45.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I've had the USPS mess up no fewer than six packages from the 'UPS/FEdex handoff' mailing classification in the last six months.

Your local carrier is your only friend (hope you tip him around Christmas).
Never the same one twice. But this was a carrier for my area who screwed this up.

Don in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Even then, you'll get a substitute carrier sometimes (always the source of our problems). The actual post office is useless. To get anything done you have to go to usps.gov and navigate their 'file a complaint' form, which breaks half the time, and insist on getting a call back. That will get their attention, presumably because it goes into their numbers. The last time the supervisor from our local postoffice on Blackwood avenue called me, she said 'just call me anytime there is a problem' and I pointed out that the Blackwood post office never answers their phone - ever - and she said 'well sometimes I am in meetings but I always answer it when I'm not!'

Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I do think this was good that he said " I asked for the packages and he tried to insist on bringing them to my shop."
Otherwise someone pretending to be you could be handed the packages.

Not only PO does this but Fed Ex etc. have mess ups like delivering to wrong address. I had a package go to the wrong address in a different state and city! I had a woman from Fed Ex meet me in a parking lot and hand me a package I think to avoid beiong fired.

They are all messed up but usually PO does it better and by the rules in Texas, in my experience, so I like that.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I do think this was good that he said " I asked for the packages and he tried to insist on bringing them to my shop."
Otherwise someone pretending to be you could be handed the packages.
I had ID. And I would say the packages had no business being in his satchel because almost two hours earlier he had logged them as delivered. I had tracking numbers and knew all about them in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Not only PO does this but Fed Ex etc. have mess ups like delivering to wrong address. I had a package go to the wrong address in a different state and city! I had a woman from Fed Ex meet me in a parking lot and hand me a package I think to avoid beiong fired.

They are all messed up but usually PO does it better and by the rules in Texas, in my experience, so I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin