Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMT139 View Post
I spent the weekend crunching numbers. It seems that I'd need at least a 3.8% yearly appreciation to break even if for whatever reason I need to sell in five years and 2.8% yearly appreciation to break even if I were to sell in ten year years. That's assuming no HOA fees and low maintenance costs (ca. $1.5k a year) but before any potential income from renting a spare room.

While buying would be doable, I'm starting to question if it is my best option financially at this point.
What is your cost of not buying, if you don't need to move for 5 years, or 10 years? Also, you're failing to give value to the non-monetary benefits of home ownership and the stability it provides (provided you are not "trapped" by the debt - which won't happen with 20% down)

I find, in my experience dealing with buyers, sellers, investors, renters, for over 25 years in Austin, the most financially successful and happy, are, counterintuitively, the ones who don't crunch numbers and put everything through deep spreadsheet analysis.

I'm actually one of those. I'm very analytical and capable of analysis, I just find it to be less reliable than my gut instinct, or that of those I trust. I've never run my deals through a spreadsheet. I know a good (or not good) buy when I see it, without a calculator.

Speadsheets and predictions cannot be reliably trusted because they are based on guesses. Garbage in, garbage out. This is why investors buy homes in "better cash flow" areas that grossly underperform the homes and areas that their spreadsheets rejected but which people like me advise over the "better cash flow" areas.

If you're going to think like an investor, then buy like a good one. That means ditching the spreadsheet and just asking yourself where you want to live, what you can afford, and what makes sense outside a spreadsheet analysis.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 PM

25 posts, read 24,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I find, in my experience dealing with buyers, sellers, investors, renters, for over 25 years in Austin, the most financially successful and happy, are, counterintuitively, the ones who don't crunch numbers and put everything through deep spreadsheet analysis.
Thanks for the advice, Steve. Very much appreciated! This would be my first home purchase (and large purchase in general since I don't even own a car), so I'm trying to understand what I'm getting into as much as I can.

I agree models are only as good as their assumptions and as a trained economist and someone who has in general trouble making decisions, I'm have the (bad) habit of putting everything into a spreadsheet to try to make sense of it. However, the more I see my spreadsheet, the more I agree with your approach -just go with my gut in a place that makes sense and can afford. The stability piece is does not play an important consideration in my life right now -I'm single and comfortable moving around as needed. But obviously, that can change any minute.

I'll post any properties I'm looking at once I reach that stage to get y'alls opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin