Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM

34 posts, read 41,442 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, in our 50s, are thinking about moving to the Austin area, among other places. I know there are some walking area, but wonder if it may be too expensive for us.

We would like to be in a neighborhood where we can walk to coffee in the morning, maybe a couple of restaurants/wine bars in the evening, a grocery store, a bank, etc., all within walking distance. It doesn't have to be a LOT, but we do want some places (not fast food joints) nearby. We would be looking to buy, but would keep it around $300K. We want 3 BR, 2+ BA, 2 car garage, under 2K square feet. And we need to be relatively close to the airport since my husband travels for work. We don't necessarily want a yard, so, although a house isn't out of the question, a condo or townhome would work well. We enjoy neighborhood-y things, so if we found a community with front porches and friendly people, we'd be thrilled.

Most importantly, perhaps, is that we would be relocating again in about three years and want to be in an area where property values are slated to increase nicely. (Realizing, of course, that no one has a crystal ball!). Is this plausible in Austin? Can someone please recommend neighborhoods or areas with zip codes and/or cross streets or landmarks? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,029,667 times
The only place I can think of that would be remotely close to what you want and close to your price range would be Meuller. Not sure you can get the space you want for the price you want there.

Homepage | Mueller Austin

Old 03-25-2016, 04:18 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,813,528 times
Mueller hasn't got anything at $300k unless you make <=80% of the Austin median income (google Austin S.M.A.R.T for more info on that program) and then you have a second lien on the home. If you qualify and are OK with the limitations, you can get in for well under $300k.

1200-ish sq ft townhouses and condos start in the high 300s.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. No, we don't qualify for a low income program. Our goal is to buy low in a hot market and pay off the mortgage completely in three years. Austin may not be the place to do that.

Anyone else have any ideas? We don't HAVE to be in downtown Austin, but the Walkability is most important. It can be a townhouse, in fact, we'd probably prefer that. We COULD go higher for the right place, say, $400.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,813,528 times
Going up to 400 will open up a lot in the townhouse/condo department. Have a look at Hyde Park (78751) and Mueller (78723, the SW 'corner' of the zip) on Redfin - it's more reliable here than Zillow. They're both walkable but very different neighborhoods - you'll want to visit and look at both. Hyde Park is an old neighborhood, mature, one of my favorite parts of town. Mueller is the total opposite - brand new, 'new urbanism', started building in 2007. Both have a lot to recommend them but are not for everybody.

I wouldn't anticipate a heck of a lot of appreciation on a smaller townhouse in three years, even in a nicer neighborhood. Both of those zip codes are 'hot' right now. Austin may not be the best fit for your plan but it might be OK.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
There really isn't much like that around. I have a bad real estate checking habit, and right now it looks like there are few in the whole city that are around the 300 mark with things you can walk to and I can't be sure of garage sizes. I would keep an eye on the Jollyville/Braker ln area. It has a lot of stuff to walk to, but not much neighborhood feel. Outside of rush hour, the airport is 20 min away. If you would be comfortable in a 2/2, there are loads more options on the east side (east of I 35, from Manor road south to 6th.) There are some areas over there that not everyone would be comfortable in, with continuing gentrification and all , but there are a lot of things to walk to on Manor, a few on MLK, and several around 11th, although that will likely be too high. We are sadly lacking affordable, walkable areas. Keep our property taxes in mind, too, last year they were 2.4% and only go up.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times
Define "relatively close to the airport". 130 opens up options in that regard as you avoid Austin entirely, but it is a toll road.

We live 15 miles northeast of Georgetown and from our front door to the airport parking lot is one hour exactly using 130. Georgetown obviously would be less - maybe 30-40 minutes depending on where in town you are? If you get in the right area you can find walkability in your price range.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,029,667 times
Where else are you looking? Do you know for sure that the Austin airport has nonstops to where your husband travels? Or is he okay with connections.

Setting aside the airport variable, have you looked at Oklahoma City? Particularly the Riverport area? Asheville NC? Fayettesville AR?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks Aquitaine and Lizbeth5. All good info. Yes, your property taxes are high but okay relative to what we currently pay on a townhouse that is more valuable. Plus, we have 9% income tax here in Oregon. There is no sales tax here but, then, many of our purchases are on the Internet. We will definitely have to make a trip there. Now we know where to look.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Going up to 400 will open up a lot in the townhouse/condo department. Have a look at Hyde Park (78751) and Mueller (78723, the SW 'corner' of the zip) on Redfin - it's more reliable here than Zillow. They're both walkable but very different neighborhoods - you'll want to visit and look at both. Hyde Park is an old neighborhood, mature, one of my favorite parts of town. Mueller is the total opposite - brand new, 'new urbanism', started building in 2007. Both have a lot to recommend them but are not for everybody.

I wouldn't anticipate a heck of a lot of appreciation on a smaller townhouse in three years, even in a nicer neighborhood. Both of those zip codes are 'hot' right now. Austin may not be the best fit for your plan but it might be OK.
austinhomesearch.com is the primary source and is completely usable now. Ive switched over from redfin/zillow/trulia to mainly using austinhomesearch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin