Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:25 PM

49 posts, read 234,881 times

Advertisements

TLDR: What are people like in Austin suburbs?

Hello All!

My fiances job is moving from the Bay Area to Austin. I've been living in the Cali for 5 years, and I'm originally from Canada and I went to high school and college in Western NY. The american south in general has been a mystery to me. All I know is a bit of what I've seen on TV. I pretty much have heard about country music, BBQ, wonderful hospitality and conservative values. Every time I mention Austin to people they say it is a very cool city though and more liberal than the rest of the state. I also work for a major tech company so I'm not worried about finding a job, I may even be able to get a transfer. But I really have no clue what I am in for. His company is looking for locations North west of Austin and he wants to live in the suburbs away from the city.

So how hard is it going to be to join the community in Austin suburbs? We don't want to have kids, are liberal and not religious, and in our late twenties and I'm a little worried about being accepted. I figure in the city center this would not be an issue but I'm a bit worried about the further to the border we get. I just want to be able to go to feel welcome at block parties and potentially find other childfree couples who I can hang with when parent friends are busy. I also dread the expectation of being religious or people attempting to convert me. I come from a religious family, so those kind of questions push a lot of unnecessary buttons. I'm just hoping that the area is accepting of different lifestyles and find some diverse communities. Again, I really know NOTHING about the american south except the caricatures. I really don't know much about Austin other than it is the live music capital of the US and is home to the Atheist community of Austin (which I may join).

Some where suburban really is going to suit our needs. After living in san francisco we are over city living and we want a yard, privacy and space. I would like to live in a place with block parties and christmas cookie swaps and other neighborhood events like I grew up with. I think we would have a lot in common with people in Austin. He plays bluesy guitar and will be looking for a band and we both love the outdoors. I want to get into hunting and definitely get into smoking meat which is my dad's newest hobby. We camp and I am planning to upgrade my vespa to a ducati. From my impression of texas that all seems to fit.

Are there going to be a lot of options for us or are we going to feel isolated in the burbs? Will it be hard for us to break into the communities there? I just love being close to my immediate neighbors but I have no clue how much the "southern hospitality" extends. I just don't want to move somewhere to be "those" neighbors, that would just break my heart.

So, what should I expect of sub urban Austin communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM

88 posts, read 106,346 times
You will do fine in Austin. It is diverse, laid back and accepting. And you don't need to be in the suburbs to have a yard. What activities do you like? What is your budget? I can suggest some areas that might be good. Yes, the suburbs do have a focus on families with children, but there are some good options for you. When you say north-can you narrow it down a little?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:54 PM

Our budget is going to be about 200k. We're planning on renting first and then buying. The company hasn't given much info except that it's going to be in the North West of Austin. I'm guessing Pflugerville TX. They are going to be setting up a new location there sometime in September. Still a lot of unknowns, but they are going to try to locate somewhere that is affordable and let's people choose between living downtown and the burbs.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao4400 View Post

Hello All!

My fiances job is moving from the Bay Area to Austin. I've been living in the Cali for 5 years, and I'm originally from Canada and I went to high school and college in Western NY. The american south in general has been a mystery to me. All I know is a bit of what I've seen on TV. I pretty much have heard about country music, BBQ, wonderful hospitality and conservative values. Every time I mention Austin to people they say it is a very cool city though and more liberal than the rest of the state. I also work for a major tech company so I'm not worried about finding a job, I may even be able to get a transfer. But I really have no clue what I am in for. His company is looking for locations North west of Austin and he wants to live in the suburbs away from the city.

So how hard is it going to be to join the community in Austin suburbs? We don't want to have kids, are liberal and not religious, and in our late twenties and I'm a little worried about being accepted. I figure in the city center this would not be an issue but I'm a bit worried about the further to the border we get. I just want to be able to go to feel welcome at block parties and potentially find other childfree couples who I can hang with when parent friends are busy. I also dread the expectation of being religious or people attempting to convert me. I come from a religious family, so those kind of questions push a lot of unnecessary buttons. I'm just hoping that the area is accepting of different lifestyles and find some diverse communities. Again, I really know NOTHING about the american south except the caricatures. I really don't know much about Austin other than it is the live music capital of the US and is home to the Atheist community of Austin (which I may join).

Some where suburban really is going to suit our needs. After living in san francisco we are over city living and we want a yard, privacy and space. I would like to live in a place with block parties and christmas cookie swaps and other neighborhood events like I grew up with. I think we would have a lot in common with people in Austin. He plays bluesy guitar and will be looking for a band and we both love the outdoors. I want to get into hunting and definitely get into smoking meat which is my dad's newest hobby. We camp and I am planning to upgrade my vespa to a ducati. From my impression of texas that all seems to fit.

Are there going to be a lot of options for us or are we going to feel isolated in the burbs? Will it be hard for us to break into the communities there? I just love being close to my immediate neighbors but I have no clue how much the "southern hospitality" extends. I just don't want to move somewhere to be "those" neighbors, that would just break my heart.

You're going to be fine - if you don't make an issue of it (which is considered rude), no one will know your politics or your religion and vice versa - what's important is, are you a good neighbor and sounds like you will be. Sounds like you'd fit right in. If he's working Northwest, depending on what you're looking for (size of house, etc.) and your budget, your best bets would be Cedar Park, Leander, Liberty Hill, maybe Georgetown or some parts of Round Rock (though that's less "away from the city" than you might be looking for.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Pflugerville is North/Northeast, not Northwest of Austin. If it's going to be in Pflugerville and he wants to get away from the city, I'd recommend Hutto/Taylor/Georgetown. How long is he willing to commute. (You'll find that in Texas when we're asked how far something is, we'll respond in time rather than miles.)

Old 04-03-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Pflugerville is North/Northeast, not Northwest of Austin. If it's going to be in Pflugerville and he wants to get away from the city, I'd recommend Hutto/Taylor/Georgetown. How long is he willing to commute. (You'll find that in Texas when we're asked how far something is, we'll respond in time rather than miles.)
He's hoping for a 30 minute commute max. We've had to do 1+ hour commutes in the bay and we're pretty over it. But I'm not really sure we're at a point to be researching neighborhoods just yet.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 PM

389 posts, read 422,400 times
I really don't think you will have a hard time fitting in. We moved to Cedar Park last summer from the Sacramento area. While we do lean a little more conservative then you may, our neighbors come from all walks of life.

I don't think you will get hit in the face with religion either. The kid thing?? That just seems to be an issue that everyone thinks they should stick their nose in, so you will probably be asked about kids a lot, but I don't think anyone will look down on you for not having kids.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Austin is just like any other place, filled with people of all kinds. You will fine as long as you leave your regional bias behind. Expecting people in an area to fit into your little mental box is exactly what will make you "those neighbors."

Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
He's hoping for a 30 minute commute max. We've had to do 1+ hour commutes in the bay and we're pretty over it. But I'm not really sure we're at a point to be researching neighborhoods just yet.
Understood. But those aren't neighborhoods - those are small towns (been towns almost as long as Austin, itself). When you are in a position to research neighborhoods, you're more likely to find what you describe in one of them.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:

Hello All!

No one (or very few) will try to convert you. Religion has never or rarely come up in conversations in my 20 years of living here.

austin is prob 60% liberal, but it is nothing like the bay area. It is probably more libertarian than anything.

The main more expensive northwest austin communities will be northwest hills (you can join their NWACA facebook group to get an idea of the area), great hills, jester and the mountain (along scotland weil)

The less expensive communities are not as masterplanned so they dont have single names. There is the area along 183, north of 360 (oaks of jollyville, oak ledge etc) and the area around balcones country club.

Further out you get river place, steiner and canyon creek (I think they are too far out).

Between those there are a few other smaller communities sprinkled around.

As you go out of austin you get cedar park, leander and liberty hill.

As far as block parties, it will be hit or miss wherever you move to. However if you start the block parties Im sure people will show up.

We do an easter party, christmas party and halloween party. Lots of pool parties during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin