Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM

125 posts, read 351,646 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

Lived in OKC for 30 years, moved out 12 years ago (to the Chicago area) - got tired of small-mindedness and not enough culture. Moved from the Chicago area to the Seattle area and have to move again due to a number of factors (biggest of which is lack of affordable housing near/in Seattle). Affordable housing is our highest priority now (along with IT jobs so we can afford those affordable houses ). Austin seems to have both (along with a few other cities in the Mid/Southwest), but I'm kinda worried that I'm going to be moving back into what I moved away from in OKC. Someone said that Austin is kind of in its own little bubble in TX, but once you get out of Austin, you're smack in the middle of TX (with all that implies, good and bad - mostly bad for me since I'm from OK ). Just wondering if it's going to drive us crazy dealing w/the same kinds of folks/attitude we didn't like in OK or if it'll be moderated by the fact that it's a "college town"? Thanks for any hints, info, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
You will have to visit to see, but having worked (not lived, though) in OKC, Austin and OKC are worlds apart. Culturally, Seattle and Chicago have some advantages over Austin, but it is still much more...don't know what to call it, maybe progressive?...in Austin compared to OKC.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
We're from Seattle, and we are glad to have left it behind. We have been LOVING Austin, and the laid back & friendly lifestyle here. I don't know anything about OK, but having made the transition from Seattle to Austin, I think you will find, while similar in some respects, mainly Austin is a BIG quality of life upgrade.

We have made small trips outside of the Austin area (Dallas, Brenham, Fredricksburg, Corpus Christie, Port Aransas) and don't find that we have had any problems ANYWHERE - but we are also pretty easy going, and not looking for problems. We have noted differences and thought to ourselves "wow! We sure are in TX!!" but we have not been chased out of town by Billy Bob on a tractor for being a liberal democrat - or whatever other TX stereotype you are imagining

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
we have not been chased out of town by Billy Bob on a tractor for being a liberal democrat - or whatever other TX stereotype you are imagining
That just made me spit water on my keyboard. HAHAHAHA.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:

We have made small trips outside of the Austin area (Dallas, Brenham, Fredricksburg, Corpus Christie, Port Aransas) and don't find that we have had any problems ANYWHERE - but we are also pretty easy going, and not looking for problems. We have noted differences and thought to ourselves "wow! We sure are in TX!!" but we have not been chased out of town by Billy Bob on a tractor for being a liberal democrat - or whatever other TX stereotype you are imagining
I second all that!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
That just made me spit water on my keyboard. HAHAHAHA.
I second that TOO

Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
We're from Seattle, and we are glad to have left it behind. We have been LOVING Austin, and the laid back & friendly lifestyle here. I don't know anything about OK, but having made the transition from Seattle to Austin, I think you will find, while similar in some respects, mainly Austin is a BIG quality of life upgrade.

Yeah, leaving our apt around 6 AM and getting back home around 6 PM (and only working for 8 hours, plus 15 min of lunchtime) is getting old - did it for years in Chicago (train from burb to downtown), then found jobs in the burbs because it just wears you out. Things are just harder here in the Puget Sound area than they should be (in lots of ways), which is one of the reasons why I'd like to get back to an easier way of life. Trust me, though, there are Billy Bobs on tractors in TX, as well as OK - as I said, I lived in OK for 30 years and made numerous trips to lots of places in TX, I saw them! Thanks to redpanda, too - I'm thinking Austin is definitely less provincial (another good word) than OKC due to a lot of factors. From what else I've read here and other places, it's a possibility (with some caveats I still need to figure out and see if they're workable) but I don't know if my family'll (still in OK) shoot me for living in TX.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You should try Dallas or San Antonio. Those places are awesome.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You should try Dallas or San Antonio. Those places are awesome.

Dallas is too big and too generic for us, haven't really thought about San Antonio, though I guess it's a possibility... Thanks.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,164 times
San Antonio is growing like crazy esp. in IT - it is definitely worth a look if you are down this way and a lot less pricey than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin