Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 PM

436 posts, read 570,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Hope Ken's Tacos is still open, they were pretty awesome.
YES, Ken's is still here , uh worst taco's in town! Everybody stay away from Ken's Taco's!! For gods sakes it is crowded enough already without a whole new flood of people delaying me from getting my glorious ken's taco's 3 times a week! All hail Ken's taco's I mean stay away from my ken's taco's.

God I am going to miss Ken's when I move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM

319 posts, read 610,370 times
Depends on what you want. Lifestyles are very different in different neighborhoods, cultures are different, neighborhoods look different, home styles vary, demographics change, prices change, living standards change, etc. Personally, I think people are too anal about schools. Live where you want first and all things being equal, pick the better schools. Austin has pretty good schools all around, when it comes to making sacrifices parental effort is going to make the difference.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:01 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
YES, Ken's is still here , uh worst taco's in town! Everybody stay away from Ken's Taco's!! For gods sakes it is crowded enough already without a whole new flood of people delaying me from getting my glorious ken's taco's 3 times a week! All hail Ken's taco's I mean stay away from my ken's taco's.

God I am going to miss Ken's when I move
Ken's was a madhouse to park in 20+ years ago. Does he do drone delivery these days?

Old 04-16-2016, 04:45 PM

436 posts, read 570,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ken's was a madhouse to park in 20+ years ago. Does he do drone delivery these days?
The parking was mostly fixed when he used some of his pocket change one day to buy the lot across the street. But if you try to park in the front....may god have mercy on you because your fellow customers will not. I asked the senoritas about future drone delivery and they just looked at me funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Depends on what you want. Lifestyles are very different in different neighborhoods, cultures are different, neighborhoods look different, home styles vary, demographics change, prices change, living standards change, etc. Personally, I think people are too anal about schools. Live where you want first and all things being equal, pick the better schools. Austin has pretty good schools all around, when it comes to making sacrifices parental effort is going to make the difference.
There are ways around having to go to the closest school. Most of those ways are perfectly legal even.

Both of my children go to school across town for different reasons. But you could not force me to send my children to Graham with a gun to my head, the administration there really rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM

356 posts, read 410,013 times
This is a question that is pretty much unanswerable for you, unless you tell us what you're looking for. Sounds like college graduates are important to you. Is that really what counts?

Old 05-28-2016, 03:02 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. For example, I live in 78732. About 90% of that zip code is Steiner Ranch. So if you don't like master-planned communities or want to be close to downtown, then you will probably hate it here.
Is there an expensive HOA? Parcel taxes? Are fences allowed?

I like somewhat larger houses (with at least master bedroom, den and an office downstairs), larger garages, laundry rooms, but not so far from town that groceries, the post office, the library are not nearby. I don't mind older houses or new homes if they are not the cookie-cutter style.

Someone asked if I care about having some educated professionals nearby. Yes, I would prefer to have intelligent conversations about many topics (that aren't political). We don't care about schools at all, except that we don't want to have to have our taxes raised regularly to pay for everything. (We don't have kids and are seniors.)

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-28-2016 at 03:17 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Median income doesn't correspond to "good" a zip code in my opinion. If you're asking to figure out where to buy an investment property, look elsewhere and don't drive up prices for people who actually want to live here.
No interest whatsoever in investment property.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
best depends on what you are looking for.

If you want walkability then it is the central core (01-04)
If you want mostly rich white people and great schools, then 78746. If you cant afford 78746, then 78732 (steiner).
If you want the best schools without all the rich people (substitute asians) then parts of 78759 and parts of 78750
If you want to be near lake travis for a lake lifestyle then 78734
If you want to be on lake austin, then 78731
etc
I'm not looking for "rich people", but are you saying those that are well-off in Austin are Asian? And by Asian, do you really mean "foreign Chinese"? They are buying up all the property they can in the SF Bay Area, and I was hoping to escape that, not jump back into the frying pan.

I don't have any problems with Asians who speak English (especiially non-Chinese) and who have been here 30+ years or more, but truthfully, I am annoyed with my "newbers" (new neighbors) who flip houses.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:09 AM

138 posts, read 154,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I'm not looking for "rich people", but are you saying those that are well-off in Austin are Asian? And by Asian, do you really mean "foreign Chinese"? They are buying up all the property they can in the SF Bay Area, and I was hoping to escape that, not jump back into the frying pan.

I don't have any problems with Asians who speak English (especiially non-Chinese) and who have been here 30+ years or more, but truthfully, I am annoyed with my "newbers" (new neighbors) who flip houses.
Austin is not a fit for you. You would be the "newber", almost all of our Asian and SE Asian population is first generation, just about all of the nice areas have high property taxes to support the excellent schools.

Try Flagstaff or Scottsdale.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Wow. Just wow.

Austin is not a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin