Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 18,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, I somehow missed the Westlake 360 reference. While Georgetown wouldn't be that far (depending on what route you take - I used to drive to visit my daughter in Apache Shores regularly from about 15 minutes north of Georgetown and it regularly took me an hour but I took the "back way") and that's way past Westlake Drive/360. So figure about 30-40 minutes if you're not driving during rush hour.

Crystal Falls Parkway in Leander comes in on Mapquest at 25 minutes to that intersection.
@TexasHorseLady, thanks for all your advice. I feel like I could manage 45 minutes, and it does seem like I do have a couple options now (north and west/south) which makes me feel less stressed out Appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehey View Post
Yeah, the office is on Bridge Point Pkwy, so it's 183 to the 360 loop exit. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I don't have to get on MoPac to get to the office. IDK if that makes a difference on the face palm

A couple people in the office live in Dripping Springs (290 and 12) and are really recommending it hard. I saw a few houses I really liked there, but they also say that it can take 60-90m to get to the office. That's why I was like, well then, same difference, and looked a bit north where it seemed like there was just more stuff around. Plus my sister lives in Ft. Worth and thought that might make it easier for us to meet in Waco (That was a joke. But my sister does really live in Ft. Worth).

I only know 2 other people in Austin. One lives in Allandale which I like by my husband refuses, and one lives in Buda on major acreage, but he works from home and likes to shoot snakes and stuff....
Actually, that puts you far enough north on 360 that it pretty much eliminates the need/ability to use MoPac(Loop 1). You're in better shape than if you were closer to Westlake High School, for example. Still, it's only a bit better...you have to deal with the stopped traffic on 183 southbound, starting north of Oak Knoll and then the transition from 183 to 360 is no walk in the park during rush hour.

There are plenty of folks who work at Dell RR campus(for example) who can live 25-30 miles "out" and still have a relatively easy commute. Not all the people who live in Leander, Georgetown, etc have to drive to Westlake...thank goodness.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
the house in lost creek ticks your boxes, you should take a look at it. Dripping springs will be in the 300-500k pricepoint for the size lots you are talking about (1acre)

if you get closer to 600K you can be off 2244 west of 360 and east of 620. That will be an easy commute for you and not bad to the airport.

Use google streetview, 3D view and earth to get a feel for each of the areas.

Use austinhomesearch to find houses on a map.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:21 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
Leander is not flat as a pancake- good lord. Parts are- but areas off of roanald reggan, off of 1431 west part of Leander, areas off of 29 towards Liberty hill.. Are all rolling hills and beautiful. People need to get out more- sure most of the built up parts of town are indeed flatter.. But not where the homes on acres are.

Hey whatever you decide good look- I've been here for three years from Chicago and we love Leander and the Georgetown area is beautiful as well. People literally over exaggerate driving times out here and claim you must live next to where you work- it's not true. You just need to leave at the right times- which clearly is something you can do given your schedule. West and south west are beautiful areas but I guarantee you'll be miserable with the traffic out there- even to get the grocery stores during he weekend is a pain at times. Also good luck with the budget dripping springs isn't cheap- as is now where west or south west of town.

Either way good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:28 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Leander is not flat as a pancake- good lord. Parts are- but areas off of roanald reggan, off of 1431 west part of Leander, areas off of 29 towards Liberty hill.. Are all rolling hills and beautiful. People need to get out more- sure most of the built up parts of town are indeed flatter.. But not where the homes on acres are.

Hey whatever you decide good look- I've been here for three years from Chicago and we love Leander and the Georgetown area is beautiful as well. People literally over exaggerate driving times out here and claim you must live next to where you work- it's not true. You just need to leave at the right times- which clearly is something you can do given your schedule. West and south west are beautiful areas but I guarantee you'll be miserable with the traffic out there- even to get the grocery stores during he weekend is a pain at times. Also good luck with the budget dripping springs isn't cheap- as is now where west or south west of town.

Same, I left Chicago two years ago. I love Cedar Park!! I love the area, people. Everything.. Round rock was not for us. Hill country is literally 5 minutes away.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:33 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
Yeah same thing- we love Leander/cedar park and Georgetown. Literally probably the only areas we would live in. Can't beat it in my opinion. You have good schools, great shopping, great food, good access into town, community colleges, rail, cedar park center (hockey, basketball concerts), ymca centers, draft house, lakeline mall, 5 minutes to hill country, right down the road from the lake, exploding growth (which we love everyone may not), and a safe affordable area.

Gotta love where you live. Just because you work somewhere doesnt mean it's a smart fit to live there..

Old 04-17-2016, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:

Exactly. Neither is Georgetown. There's some perceptions going on that involve not getting off the highway, apparently.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah same thing- we love Leander/cedar park and Georgetown. Literally probably the only areas we would live in. Can't beat it in my opinion. You have good schools, great shopping, great food, good access into town, community colleges, rail, cedar park center (hockey, basketball concerts), ymca centers, draft house, lakeline mall, 5 minutes to hill country, right down the road from the lake, exploding growth (which we love everyone may not), and a safe affordable area.

Gotta love where you live. Just because you work somewhere doesnt mean it's a smart fit to live there..
I can't thank you enough for the sanity check. I really did think these areas were exactly our speed and I've seen both places - anyone who says the areas are flat has clearly never been to IL there were some yards where my dogs would literally roll down they were so steep and some we had to eliminate because of the inability to add a pool.

WRT Georgetown, we've found a couple places we love in the areas near Lake Georgetown. It just does seem so convenient. Plus the idea of a place with its own town square area is appealing. Will be going down again in a week to do a last exploration before we decide.

Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:54 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,468 times
Default What's suburban mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehey View Post
Yeah, the office is on Bridge Point Pkwy, so it's 183 to the 360 loop exit...
Why not live right there, save a ton of time (your life slipping away...) and the rest of us some fresh air? That's not suburban enough for ya?

Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM

@pop don't get sassy I did look in the area but I had to scroll through 14 pages to get to houses below $1m so it gave me a headache. So I hope for the peeps in that area building 14k sq ft homes, you give them just as hard a time for sucking your air with their carbon footprint.

I did ask if I could have a cot in the office and they said no....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin