Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times

Advertisements

It's so sad that traffic is a continual topic of conversation in this town. People need to perform some true introspection about what they want. Stop complaining about traffic and do something about it. No one is FORCED to live off of 620.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
same here - I would not leave NW Hills!
Agreed!

I'd think really hard about giving up NW Hills for Steiner. Traffic just keeps getting worse, and from Steiner, your commute options become more limited, unless you want to spend a lot of time in the car.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:38 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What would the city cite to not "approve" the development?

You act like the city has the power to prevent private development of private land. They can _slightly_ influence the development, but the state doesn't give them that much power. The only way it could not be developed would be for the city to buy it entirely.
I agree that they can't prevent private development, but they consistently grant variances to the zoning these areas were originally approved for. There's a reason they were zoned that way in the first place.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You act like the schools are the big driver of traffic in the area.

Vandergriff has 1700 students.
Four points has 650.

Even if _every single_ student drove/was driven to/from the school (no buses) and even if _every single_ student came from the west of the school and even if _every single_ student came from the north on 620 southbound.

(none of those are true)

you're talking about ~5k daily trips. On a road that has a daily volume of 35k.

More realistically, you're talking about something like 5% or less of the traffic on 2222 (of current volumes).
The schools definitely contribute. But it's not just the schools. Adding the extension of Four Points will allow everyone to bypass the 620/2222 and 620/River Place intersection, whether they are going to the school or not. It would also allow another option for all the new development going in.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
It's so sad that traffic is a continual topic of conversation in this town. People need to perform some true introspection about what they want. Stop complaining about traffic and do something about it. No one is FORCED to live off of 620.
True, but when I moved here 11 years ago, there was no traffic at all. My neighbors built their house. At the time, there was basically nothing at 2222 and 620. They moved here because it was so far away from all of that.

I can't afford to live any closer to work (78746). I also don't want to uproot my kids from the only home, schools, and friends they've ever known. And even if I did, we could only afford to live even further out, which hardly solves the problem. It's not as though the traffic issue is limited to 620; that just happens to be the one I deal with every day.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The schools definitely contribute. But it's not just the schools. Adding the extension of Four Points will allow everyone to bypass the 620/2222 and 620/River Place intersection, whether they are going to the school or not. It would also allow another option for all the new development going in.
Exactly.

So now, the story has gone from

Oh, the schools need an emergency exit in case of a wildfire (search the forums, it's been claimed) to
Oh, we just need a single lane road for school traffic to
Oh, we need a bypass for "everyone" going from 620 to 2222.

Soon enough and you'll end up with a freaking 6 lane highway through the middle of the nature preserve.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I agree that they can't prevent private development, but they consistently grant variances to the zoning these areas were originally approved for. There's a reason they were zoned that way in the first place.
Where's this "consistent granting of variances"?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

So now, the story has gone from

Oh, the schools need an emergency exit in case of a wildfire (search the forums, it's been claimed) to
Oh, we just need a single lane road for school traffic to
Oh, we need a bypass for "everyone" going from 620 to 2222.

Soon enough and you'll end up with a freaking 6 lane highway through the middle of the nature preserve.
No one ever came close to suggesting a 6 lane highway. The fact that it creates additional evacuation routes from the school is a bonus. During prime school times, it would be stupid for anyone else to use it because it wouldn't be any faster for them. But at least it would take some traffic out of the intersection for everyone else.

But it's a moot point. The city refuses to do it. So LISD is moving forward for plans to build it themselves. And they probably will make it a private road. So when John Q. Citizen needs to use it, they will be out of luck.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Where's this "consistent granting of variances"?
https://www.change.org/p/austin-city...in-river-place

ZAP backs Steiner Ranch project variance over staff objections - Austin MonitorAustin Monitor

Steiner Ranch Variance Approved - Apartments & Storage Unit to Follow? - Craig Smyser

First three I found. There are more, but I am on my way out the door. I'm sure you can find them online.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Did you even read your own links?

The later two are both dealing with Steiner Ranch (which again, means that cutting through the preserve north of 2222 does nothing for them). They're 2.2 and 3 miles away from 620/2222.

Also, they didn't involve _any_ rezoning or additional height or density.

The first never passed and is indefinitely postponed.

Hardly a history of "consistently granting variances to the zoning" as you claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: