Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 AM

14 posts, read 59,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicooks View Post
We currently live north of Boston and want to relocate. My husband works for a CA based company but works from home. We can live just about anywhere. Our criteria is less than a 3 hour plane ride to San Fran area, housing less than 550,000, a great school for our 10 year old, warmer climate that the NE....any ideas?
If sun isn't a criteria of yours (it will be warmer than Boston!), I'd look at Portland! It's a fabulous, progressive city with good growth planning, and still cheap. It should be >2 hour flight to SFO. I'm in Seattle and flying to LAX is 2.5 hours, so Portland to SFO has to be less time. I love Seattle, but the lack of sun is killing me. And Seattle is just too darn expensive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 AM

14 posts, read 59,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Fox News did a story on this unscrupulous practice in the Austin area...There is a Texas senator that owns a large number of management companies and he works hard to ensure that the laws favor his management companies - not the homeowners.
IC, do you have a link to that FOX News story? And who's the Senator? I have to check this out! Thx!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 PM

225 posts, read 848,336 times
I would suggest the W side of Round Rock or Cedar Park.
I know some might not believe it but I have heard of more foundation issues on the E. side of Round Rock, it's tempting because it is Cheaper, but it could be a problem.
Most/some-haha, (touchy) schools all rated Exemplary in RR W. if that is something you are looking into!
Good Luck.....

Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Quote:
Most schools all rated Exemplary in RR W.
Some. Not "most".

Round Rock Independent School District - TEA Ratings

Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,415,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyegreyskies View Post
IC, do you have a link to that FOX News story? And who's the Senator? I have to check this out! Thx!
The senator is Senator John Carona out of Dallas. He owns Associa. He sends in lobbyists and he personally authors and amends legislation to benefit his management companies.

Realtors will not divulge what is going on in these HOAs and in fact many of the MLS listings don't even disclose that the home is in an HOA. For people coming from the west Coast, Sen. Carona's management company practices are against the law - particularly the re-characterization scam (unlawful in Virginia, Maryland, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Florida. I think also Alaska, Montana, Idaho, and Nevada).

Because this is unlawful in so many states, people coming from those states would be shocked that this scam is permitted here and that Carona's organization will threaten you with the loss of your house "on behalf of the HOA" unless you pay what his management companies demand. He has been writing anti-homeowner laws to benefit his management companies for a very long time.

The show aired November 20 and 21 of 2006. I do not know of a high-quality video, but here is a link to a low quality video. The interview with Carona occurred on November 21, 2006 (i.e., part II).
TEXAS -- Homeowners Associations Gone Wild

Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM

41 posts, read 80,906 times
This is exactly what I have been talking about, Sen. Carona has completely mislead the public and fellow lawmakers by naming Chapter 209 "THE HOMEOWNERS PROTECTION ACT"

in 209.006 "THE NOTICE PROVISION" allows HOAs to foreclose without giving notice to the homeowner....

Published November 21, 2006

"In January, state lawmakers will consider an overhaul of homeowners' association laws. Sen. Carona says he will oppose any effort to ban HOAs from re-applying your payments."

"Carona is CEO of Associa, a company that manages thousands of HOAs across the country. Carona is also a Texas state senator who's authored several bills regulating homeowners' associations. The senator insists there is no conflict of interest."My interest in that issue is no different than whether or not an insurance agent serving in this body votes on issues pertaining to the industry of insurance, or whether a pharmacist in this body votes on issues related to prescription drugs," he said. Carona is also a member of Community Associations Institute. CAI frequently lobbies the legislature, often pushing bills that give HOAs more authority. .... Plus, witness statements show Associa employees have testified for HOA legislation, sometimes only identifying themselves as "private citizens." Carona says they were not testifying as representatives his company. "They're coming as individual citizens," he insisted. "They're coming in the capacity of individual citizens with a point of view."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin