Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

I've done the grand tour. Checked it out quite a bit. Haven't had any buyers interested, but I found the development interesting. I do think it appeals to "cultural creative" types, people who want a great location, people who want to be part of a tighter community, and some people who want to buy something they could not otherwise afford via the assistance program in place for qualified buyers.

I don't think it will be everybody's cup of tea, but I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these kind of developments in the future.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 AM

160 posts, read 365,675 times
It's a little slice of Pflugerville in the middle of Austin. This might be the most dissapointing development I have ever followed. An ugly big box strip mall and cookie cutter suburban homes is not the new urbanism that was promised.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 161,795 times
Great to see everyone's opinions of Mueller. I'm a homeowner at Mueller and have to say I love it. Been in my home 4 months and the only downsides that I can see so far is the lack of mature trees which I just have to be patient for, the price for living on an old airport, and Austin property taxes.

Reasons I love it? Location, location, location - I love being within biking distance of UT and downtown and all that central Austin has to offer compared to the suburbs where I lived for the last 10 years. A brand new home with a great floorplan in central Austin. I love the character and charm of old homes in central Austin and had been looking to buy one but for the same price per square foot to get a brand new home rather something that immediately needs to be remodeled is huge for me. Community - wonderful community of diverse individuals and families, many who are very active in the neighborhood. I came from an older suburban neighborhood with very little community but maybe other new suburban communities are as close knit and active? As a mom to a 3 yr old it is the great place to raise a child - playgrounds to meet up at, parks to walk in, lots of other kids to play with. No yard! Certainly not for everyone but I haven't missed mowing a lawn or raking leaves once since we've moved. We go to the park and play every day, sometimes twice a day, which is perfect for us - in my old home we never spent time in the back yard because it felt so isolating. The future development - the town center - is key for us, to have shops, restaurants, grocery store, etc...within walking/biking distance. It's still 3-4 years out but was a big reason why we purchased at Mueller.

Crime has been no better, no worse then any other area I've lived in around Austin so far. And since my little one is not school age yet it wasn't a big determining factor in our decision. Mueller will have an neighborhood elementary school in a few years and the current elementary school Mueller feeds to, Maplewood, seems great from what I've heard. I can't speak to the middle, high school since I know very little about them, Kealing and McCallum, but Kealing has a magnet program and so does McCallum I think?

Just my experience....

Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
It's a little slice of Pflugerville in the middle of Austin. This might be the most dissapointing development I have ever followed. An ugly big box strip mall and cookie cutter suburban homes is not the new urbanism that was promised.
There may be some uniformity to the housing within each type but a least they have a variety of types to choose from town homes (row houses I think is the term they use) to small single family to huge 2 stories. Also unlike typical suburban developments the single family homes that I have seen do not have anything like a real back yard so the density of this development is a notch or two above what you will see elsewhere. Also putting the garages in back makes the homes look like traditional homes rather than an appendage to the garage. I was disappointed with the retail too but it must be remembered that there is employment within walking distance for the residents if they work in the medical field. How many suburban developments in Austin can claim something like this when their designs are meant to segregate residential from office? On second though maybe the retail is not so bad compared to other places where everything is so high end that only the elites can afford it. I think the thing to watch out with Mueller is if they will get their own elementary school, that could make the difference for a lot of people.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Where exactly is Mueller?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Where exactly is Mueller?
Just east of I-35 and 51st street. Mueller was our old airport, so most people know where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin