Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Completely sincere. Why wouldn't I be? I have seen it resolve issues including mistimed traffic lights.
I reckon they have performed many 'studies' of Parmer/Avery Ranch Blvd in the 8 years we've been here. Maybe they are trying to punish the folks driving across the crick from Cedar Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
I think I have said this here before, but Austin traffic lights have some of the worst timing of any city I have every lived in.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
In the last month or so, I've encountered a new situation at traffic signals at least a half dozen times. Last week, for example, I was going to make a left at Metric on westbound Parmer. I had already sat in the left turn queue for about five minutes, and then it was my turn to proceed at the next left turn signal. I was car #3 in the queue. The light turned green, and the cars in front of me moved quickly, but the light turned yellow before I could even get to the light. I still made it, but no one else did.

It happened twice today at other intersections here in north Austin. In both cases, the left turn signal lasted about 3 seconds. But then on the next cycle, the signal length was normal.

In all cases, there were many cars waiting, so there wouldn't be any rationale for giving these queues such short signals. There was a lot of horn honking and obviously furious drivers.

Is this just another case of malfunctions or something deliberate on the part of the city/TXDOT? Anyone know what's going on? It's crazy.
This is the new strategy on some intersections where you're turning from a highly busy road onto a less busy road. What happens is that they go through a two cycle left turn loop. The left turn signal is only present every second green light cycle. The other cycle it is either reduced or not present.

This is one of the new strategies they are using instead of widening roads.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:52 PM

102 posts, read 129,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think I have said this here before, but Austin traffic lights have some of the worst timing of any city I have every lived in.
I totally agree. It's somehow even worse in Cedar Park.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:13 PM

188 posts, read 596,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is the new strategy on some intersections where you're turning from a highly busy road onto a less busy road. What happens is that they go through a two cycle left turn loop. The left turn signal is only present every second green light cycle. The other cycle it is either reduced or not present.

How exactly does blocking the left-most lane help with traffic without widening roads?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 PM

138 posts, read 154,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You've obviously spent a limited amount of time in San Antonio or Phoenix.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 PM

283 posts, read 255,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
No, that's actually what you're supposed to do. Whether it does any good or not, I don't know.

My pet peeve, makes me ragey everytime light is the interchange at Braker and Mopac, specifically if you are going north on the Mopac feeder and need to loop back to South MoPac (for example, if you were leaving Arbor Walk and wanted to go back towards downtown). It's bad enough that they didn't put a designated U-turn lane there to begin with, but the left turn light on west bound Braker cycles such that you cannot make both lefts in the same cycle, ever.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Just call 311! I do that all the time if I think a signal light isn't functioning properly. The traffic engineers will check it and make sure there are no malfunctions and if it is a monitored light, look at the data from it and possibly change the timing.
I did call 311. No response yet.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

If that's the case, then it has only made things worse. Much worse. It only backs up traffic more on the busier of the two roads.

So yesterday, I was on Grover headed south, and wanted to turn left onto Koenig. I sat through four light cycles because traffic on Grover was backed up for blocks into the neighborhood. During one of the cycles, not a single car was able to turn left because the light was so short and there was so much oncoming traffic. No left turn signal, of course.

I finally get on Koenig and make it to Lamar, where traffic was backed up causing a wait through 3 cycles. All of this happened around 9:30 a.m.., well beyond what should be "rush hour". But this is Austin.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM

Might as well bring the following up as well. All over the city, bus stops are located next to intersections, and in most cases, the buses stop in the traffic lane (no pull out lanes for the buses). So day after day, we encounter buses stopped at green lights. This of course backs up traffic extensively in that lane. Some drivers try to pull into the next lane, which sometimes results in collisions. Contacts with Cap Metro regarding this issue have been ignored.

In some cases, "fixes" do make things worse. For example, for years if you were traveling west on Steck, you could merge immediately onto the northbound Mopac access road. But a few years ago, TXDOT took away the merge lane, so that you now get backed up sometimes all the way to the underpass on Steck because cars can't get onto the Mopac access road until all lanes of Steck have a green. It is complete nonsense. When TXDOT did that, I called TXDOT but no one could explain why the merge lane was removed. The response was always "we'll look into it".

I'm thankful that Mayor Adler is actually talking about Austin's gridlock. He may be the first to do so.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 04-29-2016 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin