Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM

25 posts, read 94,958 times

Advertisements

Dear Austin,

It's time for me to move on from NYC to bigger and better things. I hope you are it. Convince me to move here. I would love to hear about everything that you have to offer. I want to know about the good, the bad, the weird; whatever it is, I want to know. I've never visited yet (I'm coming in March) so let me know the "must see" places;.. in other words, let me know what you're all about. I do have some specific things I would like to know such as:

1) What does your city offer an older guy like me. I'm about to retire.
2) I love everything Asian. Where can I find some good Asian places to shop and eat?
3) The weather, the weather, the weather. If you've been in NYC during the summer with high humidity, let me know the comparisons.
4) Utilities, Property taxes, real estate market. What do I have to know about moving into your beautiful state and city.

Coming from New York, I accept no bull. Just kidding, I would love to hear from all of you.

Cheers,

New Yawker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
I can't give a detailed list right now...I'm tired and unimaginative at the moment...

But I'm originally from Cleveland and I've been to NYC many times, in all seasons. I can tell you this: It stays hotter here for a longer period of time and it can get humid, but not in the suffocating, sticky, reeking way that NYC gets. Granted, you don't get 3 months of that kind of weather in NYC, but when it comes, it's a real soul-stealer. That's why everybody with money leaves the city in the summer! A lot of people here seem to get used to the heat and are still out and about. I went running a few times in the mid-day sun last year and certainly felt that my endurance was challenged a bit...

There's a lot to do in Central Austin, not to mention the nearby Hill Country. If you like the outdoors, go hiking, rent a kayak, get a bike...

You won't find as much Asian culture as in NYC, SF, or Houston but there is some. Here, Mexican culture is the dominant, non-caucasian influence. I say, roll with that and enjoy...

Remember though, Austin is an up and coming 21st century city. NYC is an iconic 20th city that is only matched in activity by a few other places in the world. Make sure that your expectations are reasonable and fair or you'll be bummed.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Item 1: Retirement
Hard to say w/o knowing what you like to do. There are lots of outdoors activities, but have no idea if that is your thing. Lots of golf, year round . My dad retired and trains herding dogs in a town west of Austin. My mom raises sheep, has them shorn, spins the wool, and then knits. Not that you want to do these things, it is just an example of some way out there things that people do when they retire. Again, without knowing you and your quirks/interests, Austin may or may not have it....

Item 2: Asian
Asian is not exactly big in Austin. Sure, there are restaurants and markets that are good, just not like a lot of bigger cities. In general, I would not think of this as a plus for Austin .

Item 3: Weather
Have not been to NYC for more than a few days at a time, but if you are leaving NY for TX because the NY summers are bad, then there might be a problem. Now, if you said you were leaving NYC to escape the winter, that is another story....

Item 4: et al
Property taxes are high. You can get some of the 'frozen' (sort of) when you are 65, but they are still high (1.5% rural to 3% urban, with lots of variations and exceptions). No income tax. I never thought that was a good retirement formula, but lots of people are retiring here, so go figure.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Asia Market Austin 亚洲超市

In NW Austin, on junction 183 & Spicewood

Unpretentious, fantastic asian market, has everything - kitchenware, big grocery section, loads of fresh produce and best of all, a big cafe/restaurant - very basic and packed with chineses people every lunchtime and evening. Excellent authentic food eat in or take out (fast service too).

Old 02-14-2008, 03:33 PM

206 posts, read 1,310,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglim17 View Post
Dear Austin,
1) What does your city offer an older guy like me. I'm about to retire.
2) I love everything Asian. Where can I find some good Asian places to shop and eat?
3) The weather, the weather, the weather. If you've been in NYC during the summer with high humidity, let me know the comparisons.
4) Utilities, Property taxes, real estate market. What do I have to know about moving into your beautiful state and city.
1) Hills and lakes and 6th street
2) There are two new China town centers open in NW austin. Decent places. Plenty of chinese and japanese restaurants around. Lots of South Asian grocery shops and restaurants too.
Of course, NYC may have a lot more for sure.
3) The peak summer is screeching hot over here. But think it in this way...can you go out in shorts and play tennis end of Jan in NYC? You may do that in Austin.
4) Property tax could be a killer. when you do any math, keep 3% of the property value for taxes alone. Well, you may deduct the Homestead exemption + senior citizen deduction (if you are one)
Real estate...i don't have to tell about this. Any research will tell you the stark differences.

Oh...plus Austin is a place where a newyarker like you and a ex-Bostonite like me can watch a Sox-yankee game together and not get hurt.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
You won't find the equivalent of Chinatown here in Austin though. There are some shopping centers but that's all..just shopping centers.

I grew up in NYC. Italian pizza is not the same as NY pizza. Chinese food is not the same as NY Chinese food. Instead of missing though..you learn to love BBQ and a good smoked brisket

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM

106 posts, read 471,830 times
They are building a somewhat of a China Town on North Lamar right now. Only thing is it's kind of ghetto.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 13,285 times
It is much warmer here.. And you will miss the food!
But, on another note, people talk about the property taxes being high, but did they mention that there will not be any state taxes taken from your paycheck. I noticed a huge difference with that.. I hailed here from Boston about a year ago

Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Default NY exPat in Austin

I don't know about Austin as a place to retire, but I can give you the scoop as an ex-NY'er in Austin. (Truth be told-- I am from Connecticut, but a few miunutes to the city by train). Everything that has been said here is true-- The Asian culture is a joke. Comparing the strip mall called Chinatown in Austin compared to Chinatown in NYC is laughable. The average Chinese restaurant in NYC would be in the top 10% here in Austin.

If you find BBQ and Mexican food to be acceptable substitutes then you ill be happy here, as the BBQ and Mexican are both excellent.

There is some culture here-- nothing that compares to Broadway, the museums or the music and comedy scene that NYC has. The live music scene in Austin is vibrant, but if you like to flight acts, NYC is a better bet. If you are interested in up and commers, you'd probably enjoy the scene here quite a bit.

Don't underestimate how hot Austin is in the summer. It's hot. 'Nuff Said.

What I always say to people considering the move to Austin from NYC is look at the small stuff. Is world class media important to you? Will you miss have 80 radio stations to listen to? And finally, and perhaps most importantly, will you feel compatible with people in the south? SInce I have moved here, I have always felt more comfortable in a room full of strangers in the NY area then in a room full of "friends" here. The culture is different. I am not saying its bad.. Just different...

On balance, I would take NYC over Austin. And in fact I am. I will be leaving Austin at the end of the year to return to the northeast.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
Quote:
On balance, I would take NYC over Austin. And in fact I am. I will be leaving Austin at the end of the year to return to the northeast.
Good I am kind of getting tired of people from SoCal and the NE coming here and then complain about it a ton once they are here. I wish if they are to complain they would just leave.. it is annoying. No offense or anything but..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: