Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin prop 1
yes 21 45.65%
no 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Prop 1 lost. Why are we still discussing it?
Because thousands of people are out of work or without a ride as of a few minutes ago, when the Uber app stopped working (Lyft went dark an hour or so earlier).

My buddy's neighbor in Pflugerville with a DUI is having his wife get past the interlock on his car (the breathalyzer) so he can drive again. He'd been taking Uber every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I scoped out Getme's website and it doesn't offer specifics on their background checks - so that's a good question. What I did discover though is that Getme also offers delivery services, too ... from groceries and other retail items to furniture that can't fit in your own vehicle. That's a fantastic idea. Their website says that all vehicles undergo a Getme manual inspection. I'm curious of what exactly that consists of, too. After riding in some really sketchy taxis in places like Mexico and China, my personal requirements have dropped pretty low, I admit. lol.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM

15,634 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Because thousands of people are out of work or without a ride as of a few minutes ago, when the Uber app stopped working (Lyft went dark an hour or so earlier).

My buddy's neighbor in Pflugerville with a DUI is having his wife get past the interlock on his car (the breathalyzer) so he can drive again. He'd been taking Uber every day.
The voters have spoken. Prop 1 is a done deal. Uber and Lyft have choices. These companies chose not to negotiate with the city.

Your buddy is breaking the law and his bad decisions are not the fault, in any way, of people who voted against Prop 1 NOR Uber and Lyft for making the decision not to negotiate with Adler.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-09-2016 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I figure it is kind of the 'Trump' effect, although he is just a symptom, not really the cause - vote seems to be based on some visceral response to non-factors (big evil corp/taxis do it/they were 'rude') rather than an actual basis in reasonable thinking...

At the end of the day, I don't suppose it really makes a difference to ride sharing, but it is a sign of our decreasing competence in governance at the same time government expands..
Bingo. A lot of people, even those typically non-political, are saying "enough".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Does anyone know why the taxi service in Austin has such a terrible rep? ..
Monopolies don't typically focus on customer service, or delighting customers. They focus on maintaining barriers to entry and and fighting regulation.

The taxi industry could learn a lot from the new way for businesses to thrive. While functional utility use to be enough, even with a less than delightful experience, the "Point A to Point B" must now also delight the new age consumer, make them feel good about themselves, and offer a way to be "graded" (Millennials love their "A"s and pats on the head) and to rate their provider as well.

My daughter took my wife with her to see a concert last night at the Erwin Center. I dropped them off and later picked them up. That's how a lot of us still function. It works really well.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The voters have spoken. It is a done deal. Uber and Lyft have choices. These companies chose not to negotiate with the city.
Yes. And what they said has consequences that affect thousands of people. You asked why we are still talking about it. The answer is 'because it is relevant and the issue does not go away because you expressed your opinion.'

In the long run, once Uber and Lyft get hold of driverless cars, we'll all forget the days when we cared about this stuff. Some of my more optimistic tech colleagues in LA and San Francisco think that will be much sooner than most (myself included). So I don't mean to suggest that we're all doomed or anything like that. The impact on me personally is zero, but then I can afford a limo. Uber ain't out there for me.

It is merely of interest that there are those who blast Uber for arrogance and then reduce their services to 'convenience' when we are talking about the mobility of thousands of people - even setting aside the employment of thousands more. Mobility is something you have a hard time appreciating until you've lost it. Pick up dry cleaning services are convenient. Being able to get where you need to go when you need to get there with a price you can afford is a few rungs above 'convenient.' Maybe you don't feel bad for the DUI offender who is back on the road (though I might suggest you feel bad for everyone else who has to share the road for him) but there are plenty of people who rely on ridesharing who don't drive for reasons other than that their license has been revoked. It is your right as a voter to weigh your stance on 'corporations meddling with the legislative process' against the benefit to people other than yourself. It is the technology sector's right to then decide that Austin's politics are not as tech friendly as they've been made out to be. My take-away from this process is that it is easy to scare the over 65 crowd in the Austin suburbs and the old guard Democrat establishment with Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt; and also that Uber and Lyft need lessons on how to persuade Texans, because their mailings ain't it.

It's great if Austin Steve is willing to drive you where you need to go. For most of the 'No' crowd, if you don't need these services on anything other than a periodic basis, it makes perfect sense that your inclination is to make your vote about something that has nothing to do with the service they provide and instead make it about corporate or legislative this or that. That is a goal with no metric at all. Do you think Uber and Lyft feel rebuked or humbled by your stance against The Man? They don't. Do you think we'll be safer if the city gets them to come around on fingerprinting? We won't. I deal with background checks all day and I promise you that the only guaranteed outcome of fingerprinting is a new revenue stream for the city. I expect there will be some negotiated compromise down the road and you can pat yourself on the back for having brought low the Corporate Machine. But the 2% gross revenue income stream that will impact Uber drivers primarily, Uber passengers secondarily -- that won't impact you at all, so I can see why it wouldn't factor into your vote.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,254 times
I humbly ask, does everyone think Uber/Lyft are acting like petulant children since they didn't get their way? (I.e. Sorry, we're leaving town!!) Or is it that they don't want to have to operate with more business expenses and regulations, per se?

I've used Uber a lot and truly like them and had good experiences with Lyft, too. I hope they both change their minds and don't actually leave Austin. While it's true I actually had positive experiences with Yellow Cab, I think a lot of that was since they knew they had real competition and had to fight for their business.

Also, I'm curious how much this will harm the nightlife business, since maybe people will go out less if they know they need to call an actual cab at the end of the night? Or perhaps they'll just stay closer to home? Wait and see, I suppose.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I hope they both change their minds and don't actually leave Austin.
Both apps are now dark. They're gone.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Both apps are now dark. They're gone.
Anybody want to bet on how long they STAY gone?

This whole process saddens me, especially when so many of the discussions end with "But HOW will the drunks get home?"

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM

483 posts, read 532,850 times
Quote:
Yes. And what they said has consequences that affect thousands of people. You asked why we are still talking about it. The answer is 'because it is relevant and the issue does not go away because you expressed your opinion.'
It's not Uber/Lyft or nothing, that is a false dichotomy pushed by those two companies from the start of this whole thing.

"The ridesharing app GetMe is still operating. GetMe officials have repeatedly said they would stay in Austin regardless of the outcome of Proposition 1, which voters rejected on Saturday. The ride-hailing app Wingz offers rides to and from the Austin airport."
Uber joins Lyft in suspending Austin service; GetMe app... | www.statesman.com

Just for fun I did the wingz fare estimator from my house to the airport, it was the same price I paid via uber last time I flew. Still haven't tried GetMe. Equating ride sharing the business model to 2 specific companies is FUD.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM

15,634 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
The majority of voters in Austin decided no on Prop 1. Whether one agrees with the voters' decision or not, voting is the way our system of government works.

The owners of the businesses, Lyft and Uber, also made their decision. They will not negotiate. Whether one agrees with these business owners' decision to leave Austin or not, they have the right to not do business here. That is how free enterprise works.

And as DCtoTejas said above, if ride share is a profitable and needed business in Austin, which I think it is, other companies will come fill that need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin