Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:21 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,942,658 times

Advertisements

The ones mentioned by others already are good options. I'd also add Wink, Sullivan's, Foreign & Domestic, and Fonda San Miguel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,811,257 times
Uchi/Uchiko are great but for the money, this is one of the best evenings I've had out in Austin - Counter 3 5 7.

COUNTER 3 . FIVE . VII

Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's cool that you said that you saw famous golf pros at the hotel. It seems as though Austin is still a place where those with means have to go out to be seen and mingle. In LA much of the scene is filled with shady wannabes and the truly connected hide out in little hidden enclaves or party in their mansions in the hills. I never felt as though there was much of a scene to enjoy here.
One reason that many celebrities have moved to Austin has been because true Austinites didn't make a huge deal about who they are - they are (were?) treated as normal people without being gawked at. Sandra Bullock once said that what sold her on Austin was that when she went to the coffee shop, the people that worked there knew her - she was "Sandy whose regular order is X", not Sandra Bullock - they didn't CARE that she was Sandra Bullock and so she got to lead a more or less normal life (until Jesse James ruined it all, of course). That's indicative of what drew celebrities here, but as more people from other places move here and DO make a huge deal about it, that's going to end if it hasn't already. Too bad.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
last time i went to jeffrey's (1 or 2 years ago) it was terrible. We used to love it.

I would say uchi, but for downtown eddie v's. We like drinks at the driskill, but that might be too mellow. Four seasons and W are both solid.

For regular places we like barley swine (strip mall), sway etc

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,935,280 times
I've been to Eddie Vs in Houston. I wanted to try something uniquely Austin and chic. I would like to take in where all the cream of the crop in Austin go to.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Quote:
I've been to Eddie Vs in Houston. I wanted to try something uniquely Austin and chic. I would like to take in where all the cream of the crop in Austin go to.
Given my druthers, I'd go to Chez Nous (downtown) or Green Pastures, if not Jeffreys, for fancy and definitely uniquely Austin.

But not sure Green Pastures is currently open - the new owners were going to be doing renovations.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,792,628 times
Paul Qui's Otoko in the South Congress hotel is probably the most exclusive restaurant in Austin currently. Just 12 seats, omkase-only sushi place. You have to reserve about a month in advance.

Otoko - South Congress Hotel*

Ironically the hotel it is in was built on a lot that used to be the home of several popular food trucks.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,935,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Paul Qui's Otoko in the South Congress hotel is probably the most exclusive restaurant in Austin currently. Just 12 seats, omkase-only sushi place. You have to reserve about a month in advance.

Otoko - South Congress Hotel*

Ironically the hotel it is in was built on a lot that used to be the home of several popular food trucks.
Wow the South Congress Hotel looks like something straight out of LA, no lie. 12 seats?! That's nuts. Seems like we wouldn't get to talk to many people. Imagine the prices at this place if they have to make enough on 12 people.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
You keep saying things like this, but austin is much more casual. There really isnt a place the "cream of the crop" go to.

Most austin restaurants are 3*, with maybe 2-3 4*. No 5* restaurants.

Im not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it might be that austin is the wrong city for it.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,454,733 times
OP, it kind of sounds like what you are seeking is a celebrity hotspot where you can immerse yourself in some sort of 'vibe'. I can't really think of a specific place here in Austin where that exists. The 'cream of the crop' is a highly subjective personal opinion of strangers that really just isn't a part of the average Austinite's lexicon. Landscapers, stay-at-home moms, software engineers, musicians, and star football players all live and play mostly side by side here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin