Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 AM

13 posts, read 14,608 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been going to a good high school she likes for the last year. Her Mother is moving, and I live just outside the district for that school. She still wants to attend, and we want her to continue attending. Because she is heavily involved in activities, has already attended, does anyone know if we can just re-register her for that school even if it's one of the schools that doesn't allow transfers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
maybe call the school

Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Many schools will give a Senior year exception. If it's not senior year, they probably won't allow it. People move all the time, and if she has 2-3 years left of high school, that's plenty of time to fit in and make new friends.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM

See, but it's more than just friends. He has been involved in the same activity group for years, has gone to summer camps to better prepare for said activity Further, his peer group is made up of kids that all do the same thing.

Frankly, I'm stuck in an area between 2 schools that are "frozen" for transfer and yet one he is heavily involved in campus life, and the other he would have to start over from scratch. This is complete and utter nonsense. There should just be a form.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParker81 View Post
See, but it's more than just friends. He has been involved in the same activity group for years, has gone to summer camps to better prepare for said activity, and has even gone to camps to prepare for this school's variation of the activity. Further, his peer group is made up of kids that all do the same thing.

Frankly, I'm stuck in an area between 2 schools that are "frozen" for transfer and yet one he is heavily involved in campus life, and the other he would have to start over from scratch. This is complete and utter nonsense. There should just be a form.
Honestly, call and talk to the principal. Things like this can often be worked out relatively easily - either there is a mechanism in place to handle it, OR there is a back-door common sense route that the school staff can work out.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Honestly, call and talk to the principal. Things like this can often be worked out relatively easily - either there is a mechanism in place to handle it, OR there is a back-door common sense route that the school staff can work out.

I guess I'll have to do that. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
I guess I'll have to do that. Thanks.
And as an aside, don't take it to anyone outside the specific school. If it gets on the radar of someone at a district level, the local administration's 'flexibility' disappears .

Also, when you said 'just outside the district', I assume you mean 'just outside the attendance zone', yes?

And I am confused, is this a daughter or a son? Not that it really makes any difference....

Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 AM

It's a son. He's been in band since middle school, and in now in the high school band at a very good high school. He was first chair for his instrument in middle school, has attended middle school camps, and has picked up another similar instrument and is working on mastering that for marching band.

I am living just a few blocks outside the attendance zone for his school, and his mother currently lives inside it, but has to move quickly due to a rent increase.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,018,722 times
Quote:
It's a son. He's been in band since middle school, and in now in the high school band at a very good high school. He was first chair for his instrument in middle school, has attended middle school camps, and has picked up another similar instrument and is working on mastering that for marching band.

I am living just a few blocks outside the attendance zone for his school, and his mother currently lives inside it, but has to move quickly due to a rent increase.
How would they know his mother moved unless ya'll tell them? Do they verify every student every year or just new incoming students?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
Quote:

Can you just help her with the rent increase? Solves everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: