Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'd like to see statistics regarding the lack of lighting causing accidents on specific stretches of road in Austin. Haven't ever seen that mentioned as a cause in the reports I've seen.

Reminds me of a town in England that decided to turn off the street lights to conserve money. There was a huge uproar - EVERYONE, including the sheriff, said that crime would skyrocket because it was obvious that if it was dark the criminals could go wild. Turned out, crime plummeted (seems criminals need to see, as well, and if they have to use flashlights to do it they might as well hold up a lighted sign saying "Look at me breaking into this house!". Since then, other communities have done the same with the same results, as what was intuitively obvious to everyone turned out not to be true - it's not like that happens very often, right?

So, show me some stats saying that lighting up a street, or not, reduces or causes the accidents that occur on that street, or that that unlighted stretch of road has more accidents at night, rather than going by what it intuitively obvious to you. Then we'll talk.
Road traffic casualties: understanding the night

HIGHWAY LIGHTING AND DRIVER PERFORMANCE

Also from personal experience as a first-responder while working at night, the area I work is north of Ben White to Lady Bird Lake, including the stretch of I-35 within. This stretch of freeway is well lit and heavily traveled and the occurrence of accidents are low on this stretch of I-35.

In contrast, from the city limits to Ben White, there are far more traffic collisions on the interstate, almost on a nightly basis. I-35 has no lighting on this stretch of freeway.

I highly doubt it is a coincidence and believe that there is a direct correlation between the higher rate of traffic collisions and lack of freeway lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Thanks for the stats - I was quite serious when asking for them. My "anecdote", by the way, was shared from research that I didn't have time this morning to pull up - if my workday ever ends tonight, I'll go get it for you, though it has to do with criminal activity and lighting rather than traffic - will see if the same source has something similar on traffic. Will also peruse the stats you provided if this day ever ends (one of THOSE days!). Hopefully they will include statistics on daytime accidents in the same locations and control for such activities that occur more often at night such as drinking.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 PM

138 posts, read 154,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Thanks for the stats - I was quite serious when asking for them. My "anecdote", by the way, was shared from research that I didn't have time this morning to pull up - if my workday ever ends tonight, I'll go get it for you, though it has to do with criminal activity and lighting rather than traffic - will see if the same source has something similar on traffic. Will also peruse the stats you provided if this day ever ends (one of THOSE days!). Hopefully they will include statistics on daytime accidents in the same locations and control for such activities that occur more often at night such as drinking.
First link I posted might have some eye opening crime stats for you. Universally, light equals might.

All four studies control for day/night variance. As for DUI, well DUI is extremely consistent across time and space. Now that fearmongerers have banned rideshare, it will only get worse.

As for "control". Be definition, you cannot control for behavior in a behavioral study.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kion View Post
First link I posted might have some eye opening crime stats for you. Universally, light equals might.

All four studies control for day/night variance. As for DUI, well DUI is extremely consistent across time and space. Now that fearmongerers have banned rideshare, it will only get worse.

As for "control". Be definition, you cannot control for behavior in a behavioral study.

Beg pardon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin